Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Interior Fabric Products
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Interior Fabric Products Reply with quote

Slight detour off forum... but related..
I couldn't find a Marine, Boat, or Upholstery forum for some reason on TheSamba... Laughing
and
We all know.. the Buggy's are just boats on wheels. soooooo

Im in the process of recovering my Miata seats for my Buggy Coppertub.. .. with a lil' something ..... different.. Wink

The fabric is upholstery material picked up at the local go to fabric shop. It is thick durable and will work.. . but my wonder and concern is about UV resistance..
Its not classified as UV rated... so will most likely fade..
It is a "busy" pattern and I'd like to keep it nice and colorful.
I do plan to keep them covered when not in use in the shop.. but.. also want them to last..

Is there anything I can use to help protect the fabric from UV and fading.?

I have searched and found sprays and products with protection claims..
Does any work.. ?
Also any that work for stain, water and UV?
Any advice and recommendations welcome.

Ya know.. like sunblock for the fabric.. ... Wink
Even if I have to reapply regularly after exposure as directed.. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon May 02, 2016 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

I've been using 303 Fabric Guard on my Sunbrella boat cover for years. It has been outdoors continuously for over 12 years now, and while it has faded, I'm convinced that use of this product has prolonged the life of it considerably. It's great for waterproofing and stain resistance, and my experience is that it helps with UV.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30674-Fabric-Guard-128/dp/B0000AY1W7
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

Is the 'upholstery fabric' cloth or vinyl?

bnc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

andygere wrote:
I've been using 303 Fabric Guard on my Sunbrella boat cover for years. It has been outdoors continuously for over 12 years now, and while it has faded, I'm convinced that use of this product has prolonged the life of it considerably. It's great for waterproofing and stain resistance, and my experience is that it helps with UV.

http://www.amazon.com/303-30674-Fabric-Guard-128/dp/B0000AY1W7

Eggsactly the kind of feedback I want to read..

Keep em' coming.

303 products a high on my list of products that I have so far read about.. but you cant always believe what you read in advertising. ..

I like real life results..

didget69 wrote:
Is the 'upholstery fabric' cloth or vinyl?

bnc

The "exotic" fabric pattern material I chose .. . is more cloth like.

Not sure of the exact material but its for sure not vinyl .

Vinyl burns and gets too hot for us we prefer cloth.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon May 02, 2016 2:48 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

These guys have a large variety of UV resistant fabrics

http://www.foamorder.com/sunbrella-fabric.html
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

Thanks ^ Ill check it out..
But.... I already have purchased what I am using..

My fabric/cloth store has plenty of UV rated stuff right on the rolls. Just about every color, some patterns.. .. but no exotic patterns that a grandma wouldn't use...... Laughing
I had the regular hens in there all bent out of shape...but the much younger ones in the Legging's were diggin' my plans and idea.. Cool

Looking for something that will help protect the non protected. ..

Usually and often edited
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

Nut, You're talking about weeks of Spring-to-Summer Sun anywhere below NY-Chicago-S.F. to, at best, months before you will begin to see a fade. Make some simple covers –of any cloth– if you have to leave it parked out.

Andy, Didn't say what color his Sunbrella was, but any of their darker colors should exceed their 10yr warranty.

Jim
Manx #2614
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

So.. are you meaning.. Im concerned about nothing.
I think.. that's what you were getting at...??

My buggy stays indoors unless it's driven.. and then.. the seats are covered by... the body.. Laughing
It does see some wet use as well.. as we dont stop for rain..
I dont build em to decorate.. but do take care of what I build .

I dont have a major storage concern.. as its stored deepest in the shop but with windows.. and I already have some slip on's that fit like shit and I despise so those will be in place during storage regardless.

Fading is on my mind as we do leave it unattended in the sun.. at events, parks, beach etc..
I know.. I know.. not long duration.. but I figured this could be an educational topic.. for many of our enthusiast.
This will be my sons car eventually so.. want it be nice for a long time.

Ounce of prevention in my book. If a $10 spray can help with UV as well as stains or water shed.. its worth it..

Usually and often edited
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

303 Fabric Guard won't offer you any UV protection, as it is a Water, soil & stain 'repellent' - contains No UV inhibitor in the formulation.

303 Aerospace Protectant WILL provide UV protection, but SHOULD NOT be used on unfinished leathers (such as suede), fabrics or flooring.

bnc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

303 Aerospace Protectant WILL provide UV protection,
bnc

Any personal review or experience?

I read about using the aeropace on hard and semi hard surfaces... but what about fabric that can absorb it?
Does it dry.. if you cant wipe it off ..

Link

Usually and often edited
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
didget69 wrote:

303 Aerospace Protectant WILL provide UV protection,
bnc

Any personal review or experience?

I read about using the aeropace on hard and semi hard surfaces... but what about fabric that can absorb it?
Does it dry.. if you cant wipe it off

Link

I use it on vinyl Jeep tops & plastic windows. Not for use on cloth/fabric per the Manufacturer.

bnc
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Products Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:

I use it on vinyl Jeep tops & plastic windows. Not for use on cloth/fabric per the Manufacturer.

bnc

Well.. That I read.. but ... not what I'm asking about in this topic. '
I cant seem to get a definite yes or no on the aerospace product and fabric use..

I would think something that would work on canvass could be used.

Thanks anyway though.. .
Usually and often edited
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Interior Fabric Products Reply with quote

Hi Ken:

Per a call to Gold Eagle, the manufacturer of 303 Products -

Product Questions:
1 (800) 367-3245

- Customer Service Rep there stated/clarified that 303 Aerospace Protectant contains UV protectant chemicals, but it CANNOT/SHOULD NOT be used on fabrics, canvas, etc. Use it on plastics, fiberglass, Vinyl, etc, - but not on Cloth/Fabrics. This is their statement (matching their statement on website).

The 303 Fabric Guard is used to protect FABRICS against water/stains/soils, but it contains NO chemicals offering UV protection. So you'd get protection against water/soils/staining, but no UV protection.

Per Goldeagle rep, the chemicals/chemistry used in making of the two 303 products cannot be mixed, as the chemicals themselves won't mix, which is the reason why the Fabric Guard solution does not contain UV inhibitors. It's like oil separating from water -

That being said: Home Depot carries a product from Trek7 called RAY BLOC UV Fabric Protectant Spray - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trek7-32-oz-Ray-Bloc-UV-Fabric-Protector-Spray-rbuv32/204328276

This MAY meet your requirements?

Regards,

Bryan
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Interior Fabric Products Reply with quote

Well.. you just saved me a step and a call.. Thanks for that.

the Interweb is great... but sometimes lack the finer details we need.

Trek was already on the short list.. Wink

Im sure a fabric convertible top protectant will work fine..
I just like to research and read real reviews.

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu May 05, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Interior Fabric Products Reply with quote

Magical thinking or products that are not required to do (or for that matter contain) what they advertise will not allow you to eat pizza and ice-cream with Typ.2 diabetes. Nor do these 'magical' sprays do much for UV protection of fabrics that are highly vulnerable to UV degradation. Check the MSDS..

http://images.dharmatrading.com/images/public/pdf/msds/msds_RBLOC_Ray_Bloc-1.pdf

It's alcohol plus a principle shampoo ingredient - a surficant. You may as well use dandruff shampoo on your seats; you could wish they will show less dust.

You might want to also look at the Amazon reviews. You see both magical thinking and hard cases.

In a more serious note: think about the heavily advertised Sun Screen you put on your kids. Did you know there is no U.S. law or regulation that requires them to do what they claim? Eh-eh...

Last I heard, only Australia has legally binding regs. that control ingredients and labeling of sun screens. They take more care of their people ..than their corporations.

Jim
Manx #2614
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet Protectant UV Rating Interior Fabric Products Reply with quote

^.. I gather.. you're a bit of a skeptic.. Laughing so.... no applicable review I guess..

Im not a snake oil drink the kool aid guy at all.. but I do know of chemical products that actually work and perform exactly as they claim..
Knowing this..... only after I have proven its worthiness myself.

So Im not skeptical of all products... some yes.. but not all.
When I use sunscreen.. I dont get a sun burn .. Think must be something there... Laughing

Most inteweb reviews tied to a product selling page are nothing more that advertising bogus reviews..
Amazon is one of the worst violators of that. . I have found the exact same review about different brand but similar products.. by the same user..
Or a review on a products/items sales page.. about a different product all together.

Real life reviews I take into consideration more .
That's why this topic question inquiry .. here....

Usually and often edited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: