Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nov Automobile Magazine Article - All Hail the Bucket Car!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Nov Automobile Magazine Article - All Hail the Bucket Car! Reply with quote

Just received the Novemeber 2006 issue of Automobile Magazine, and there is a nice 2 page article (Collectible Classic column) featuring our beloved Thing entitled All Hail the Bucket Car!

Not exactly the most flattering write-up, but then what would you expect - at least no overt criticism.

With any luck, this may just boost the value of that '74 I am looking to unload. Pray
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198985

If you have a scanner could you throw it up?
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the repost Embarassed

I swear I searched the Thing forum for "automobile magazine" before I posted, and came up empty handed. Oh well.

I can easily scan the article, but I don't have an online image hosting account - would that be OK to post in the Thing gallery here on TS?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, please post a scan of the article. I wanted to buy the magazine, but I can't find it anywhere... Subscription only?
panzerfuska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to your lift question, i suppose you can apply type 1 techniques to raise your thing.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as to your lift question, i suppose you can apply type 1 techniques to raise your thing.

Question
posted to the wrong thread perhaps???
Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here is the scan. Sorry about the poor quality.

It's easier to read if you click on the picture to go to the gallery entry - then be sure to go to the lower right hand corner and click to expand the photo to full size.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... It just confirms my desire to keep my Thing. Dangerous, rare, and all about fun.

I subscribed to Automobile for years. Just re-upped. Whatever. I'm a car geek.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to subscribe to Automobile, shortly before the internet got big (remember the Seinfeld New Beetle cover?). Back then, I would have flipped over something like this- seeing The Thing in print. I used to buy copies of Hot VWs & VW Trends on the rare occasions that a Thing would mistakenly appear in the background of a photo of a Cal-Look bug! We never used to get any respect, but us Thing owners took what we could get.

Now, with all the info available online, I spit on Automobile's half-assed Thing profile. I now treat Automobile like the cheap whore that it is. I pawed through a copy in the Supermarket, and after I got what I wanted, I left it behind without paying a dime.

p.s. "Watch out for damaged tops"??? There are alot of Thing spares that are hard to come by, but tops aren't one of them. Obviously, the writer figured that since it's a convertable, damaged tops should be something to look out for. just like how he saw the wide 5's, and assumed it was on a pre-67 Bus chassis! What a clown.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice that they listed Things Unlimited as a place to get parts.
Laughing
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Luni wrote:
I used to subscribe to Automobile, shortly before the internet got big (remember the Seinfeld New Beetle cover?). Back then, I would have flipped over something like this- seeing The Thing in print. I used to buy copies of Hot VWs & VW Trends on the rare occasions that a Thing would mistakenly appear in the background of a photo of a Cal-Look bug! We never used to get any respect, but us Thing owners took what we could get.

Now, with all the info available online, I spit on Automobile's half-assed Thing profile. I now treat Automobile like the cheap whore that it is. I pawed through a copy in the Supermarket, and after I got what I wanted, I left it behind without paying a dime.

p.s. "Watch out for damaged tops"??? There are alot of Thing spares that are hard to come by, but tops aren't one of them. Obviously, the writer figured that since it's a convertable, damaged tops should be something to look out for. just like how he saw the wide 5's, and assumed it was on a pre-67 Bus chassis! What a clown.

I'm guessing that notion came from the fact that earlier Type 181's used the same reduction gearboxes that the Micrbus used (at least I believe that is correct). Of course, by the time The Thing came to the US, those were long gone.

All in all, I agree the overall tone of the article does have some incorrect/misleading information. This is probably due to the fact that it was written by a staff editor that had to research the vehicle prior to writing. They may get more accurate information (albiet slightly more biased) if they were to use guest "experts" that were entusiasts of that particular make and model to write each month's article.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: