Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player Reply with quote

Found this ad in an old UK electronics magazine. It seems improbable that this device would actually work, but who knows? Anyhow, presented for your amusement without further comment.

p.s. for the younger generation, 'records' were a method of marketing music to consumers way before MP3 and online streaming were invented. It was a novel media which could not be accidentally deleted or lost in a hard disk crash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

You can stil buy them.

Edit.
e.g. - https://djworx.com/the-soundwagon-is-dead-long-live-record-runner/

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

I've heard they usually destroy the record.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

I have an NOS one.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

Link

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Reply with quote

Record Runner-

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player Reply with quote

From a 2011 episode of Pawn Stars.

Guy brought in a Soundwagon Record Player, the toy VW bus that went around a record and played music.

It was allegedly on the Johnny Carson show.

The guy wanted $500 and the Old Man countered $100 and then $125 and finally $150 and that was the sale price.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player Reply with quote

I have one. Pretty cool, but more of a novelty to play 2 minutes of a record. You probably wouldn't listen to the whole thing with that player. But it's not the dumbest thing I've ever bought just because it was a VW.

I've actually had it for sale here in the classifieds since it just sits on a shelf now. It has all the packaging and I believe I was the first one to actually take it out of the box and try it last year.
For a reference on the value of them, I've had it listed for $125 shipping included for a few months and haven't had any bites. So I guess it's worth something less than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player Reply with quote

Definitely a neat vw novelty.

There are a few variations throughout the years.

I have a "Vinyl Killer" with the box and decal kit.

Pretty much the same thing, just very limited runs when compared to the Soundwagens.

I've seen quite a few really neat ones with other decal kits pop up from time to time.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player Reply with quote

A couple years ago, a young guy was on Shark Tank peddling a small wooden box that drove around and played a record- an ugly Bluetooth-capable version of the SoundWagen. NONE of the sharks had seen anything like it! They thought it was the neatest, newest thing since sliced bread, yada. And the guy left with a deal for what was completely sniped toy tech.

Millionaires aren't always so smart.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously? Soundwagon Bus record player Reply with quote

I saw that too! It was really a Soundwagon in disguise! After that I knew the show was fake.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: