Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is wrong with some Thing owners?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mikewarner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: What is wrong with some Thing owners? Reply with quote

I have to relate the pathetic dealings I have had with two Thing owners who were selling there cars

I had an agreement to buy a nice orange thing (33,000 miles - no rust) near Kansas City and had sent the owner a Canadian money order. He accepted it, deposited it to his bank and the deal was done - or so I thought. Several days later, he tells me that it will take a long time for the money order to clear (20 banking days). Long story short, he says he can't wait that long (wants to buy another car) and he sells the car to a local guy and sends my money back after the money order clears. I even offered to wire him the full amount while we waited for the money order - nope - too bad.

On to the second crappy dealing with a Thing owner. I come to an agreement to buy this Thing (while it was on Ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-VW-THING-24-OO...dZViewItem

The owner says he will pull it from ebay (no problem - wrong) - I guess someone hits buy it now for 10K - then I never heard from the owner again - won't answer emails or phone calls. The worst part is that I related the sad story of my first thing deal and this guy went on an on about how he would never do that and how awful people are who do such things.

Anyway, I have shelved my pursuit of a Thing for a while due to the disappointment with these two deals (did I mention my kids came home from school with pictures drawn of the first Thing - they were very disappointed to find out we were not getting it)

I made a point of not naming the names of the owners - I don't see any benefit from identifying them - anyway - just had to get this off my chest - I'm sure I have only had bad luck in finding two of the worst Thing owners in the U.S.
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike!

They say "3rd Time is a Charm" so maybe your next purchase will be the right one?!

It really is a shame that people will act that way. I guess it goes back to when a hand shake meant something... Not anymore, at least with some people.

Don't let these two experiences shun you from getting a Thing. You still have all winter to find one before the warmer weather returns. Then you'll still be able to take your kids for a ride in Daddy's Cool Thing!
Video Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is similar to a Thing trailer hitch that I tried to buy on thesamba. Emailed owner that I would pay the asking price. He responded that he would get back to me as soon as he found out the shipping cost. Two weeks Nothing! Later emailed him again and no response. Two weeks later emailed him again with the option that if he did not want to ship it, just let me know. No problem. Again, No response. It's still listed for sale but I'm not going to beg him to sell it. Go Figure?Mad
1974 Thing
1974 Super Beetle
1976 Westy P22
omg1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Hang in there! I've been burned by would-be sellers too. It's been my experince that every time it happens, something better comes along anyway! My kids love our '74.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

It's unfortunate that this happens. Money talks to most folks these days, and it's learned at an early age. A person's word is worthless most of the time. I have found several on this forum that I trust though, Kubalman, PJMACUA, and another Thing owner from Orlando (he has a great Orange Thing "driver"). I guess it's like candidates when running for office: they promise just about everything, but deliver nothing.

Sorry for your disapointment. The right one will come along.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way: If the seller lacked integrity to stick with the deal he probably also lacked integrity to provide an honest description of the vehicle. You probably dodged a bullet or two.

It's not just Thing owners, either.
Pinky
Samba Ass Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer- there's a bunch of assholes running around everywhere. I've been shafted a lot too. I just make sure to be the kind of seller that I would want to buy from. It's too small a community to go fuckin people over or you'll ruin your reputation reeeeeal quick.

Video Bob, I have a Thing trailer hitch from the Thing shop that I pulled off my old daily driver Thing before I sold it (still have the resto job 74 though). It's a 2" reciever Thing Shop hitch in almost perfect shape and has been all cleaned up with Ozzy juice so it ain't all dirty.

I hauled my other Thing with it two miles once, and other than that I just had a bike rack on it, so it's barely been used.

Throw a price at me if you're interested by PM-

I'm located in Asheville, NC and am willing to ship-
addh79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: The problem is your name!!! Reply with quote

My friend I know what the problem is.... Its your name! Nobody wants to deal with mike! It brings a bad conatation to it because of things unlimited. Change your name the next time. Im pretty sure you will have better luck!

No need to thank me but Im glad I solved your problem!!!!!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike,

i've got one in my shop i can let go for a good price. it has a little front end damage that should buff out...
mikeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: thing Reply with quote

what thing are you looking for, a project or ready to roll unit, i have one that is for sale but it will need some work to be 100 % some rust and it needs a new top, plus electrical. e-mail me at [email protected] if you would like some pictures, it is listed in the classifieds also. in colorado Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: