Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Christopher...is there a tire out there that work for me with these wheels? Either my 1985 or 1987? Or is it all pie in the sky?

I gather that since you said they are a direct bolt on, I would not need special spacers or studs or lug nuts?
1985 Vanagon GL 7-passenger van (manual) - "Braunkuh"
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (auto)
2003 Subaru Legacy L wagon (auto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyrgrrl wrote:
So Christopher...is there a tire out there that work for me with these wheels? Either my 1985 or 1987? Or is it all pie in the sky?

I gather that since you said they are a direct bolt on, I would not need special spacers or studs or lug nuts?

While there may be others, Nokian makes a 195/65R16 that would fit those wheels just fine and would not have the large effect on the gearing of the van that the 195/75R16s would have.

You can use the stock Vanagon steel wheel lugs with those wheels.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
DontBeAfraid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Ronal R9 15" and Big Brake Kit compatability Reply with quote

Hey,
I am considering buying a set of 15" Ronal R9s for my 2wd that are currently mounted on a syncro. I don't know what their offset is, nor do I know how wide they are. I understand that the mounting hardware necessary depends on the offset. I have asked the seller, but I thought I would ask about my main concern while I await his answers.
I plan on installing a big brake kit in the front eventually, and SC's system requires 13" diameter to mount. Is anyone running a big brake kit (from any vendor or homemade) and Ronal R9 15" wheels? If so, which one?

Thanks!
Dave
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you're the man, Christopher. I actually drove up to Deming this past weekend and bought those tires and wheels for $300. I was having buyers remorse thinking I did a boneheaded buy. But I did OK, i guess.

Will any of my vans need lift springs or am I good with stock?

That was the last question, I promise...for sure....maybe.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics of my 1985 Vanagon with the 16" OEM syncro wheels on the front. We got stopped mounting all the tires by the 2 bolts on the rear wheels. I thought there was only supposed to be one so got confused about what to do. I found out they both come out and then we can mount the wheels.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a pic of the tire and wheel...with the 195/75R16 Vredestein tire...mounted on the front. I know Chris said that handling will not be ideal but we are just checking the fitment. Plus I need more clearance to get under the van to replace the old fuel filter with the newer style fuel filter.

Here's the side shot...with the 14" wheel on the back.

Cheers!
bronsonarlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: AT Italia Wheels Reply with quote

Hi All

I have been looking for a set of At Italia wheels for my Syncro Westy. I ended up finding a set on Craigslist. The only issue is the guy doesn't know the ET on the wheels, but he did send me these images. Anyone know what the numbers on the second image mean?

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: AT Italia Wheels Reply with quote

bronsonarlo wrote:
Hi All

I have been looking for a set of At Italia wheels for my Syncro Westy. I ended up finding a set on Craigslist. The only issue is the guy doesn't know the ET on the wheels, but he did send me these images. Anyone know what the numbers on the second image mean?

If you can have the seller send you a couple of measurements off of the wheels, we can figure out the offset.

You will to the know the overall width of the wheel, which for a 6½" wide wheel will probably be somewhere between 7¼ and 7½ depending in the wheel. You will also need to know the distance between the wheel/hub mating surface and the edge of the inner rim lip. To accurately measure this. lay a straight edge across the rear of the wheel's inner rim lip (if tires are installed, make sure that the straight edge only touches the wheel and not the tire). Then measure from the straight edge down to the wheel/hub mating surface.

With those two measurements, we can determine the offset.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
getsideways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wheel gods
I'm still not 100% sure on exactly what I need to get machined in order for some 16" Tiguan Baltimore rims to fit my Syncro.
From what I can gather I get the innermost part of the centre
bore machined to a diameter of 66.56mm and around 10mm depth?
I think I also need some small ball lug nuts, do I need open or closed, 19mm or 17mm? Will I need longer studs?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getsideways wrote:
Hey wheel gods
I'm still not 100% sure on exactly what I need to get machined in order for some 16" Tiguan Baltimore rims to fit my Syncro.
I think I also need some small ball lug nuts, do I need open or closed, 19mm or 17mm? Will I need longer studs?

Yes, the centerbore (big center hole) will need to be opened up. For use on a Syncro, you don't have to machine down very far.

My suggestion is to machine the centerbore to 66.56mm to a depth of 12mm. This will give the machinist a great target diameter and will also give you the opportunity to install 66.56mm to 57.1mm hubcentric rings should anyone ever decide to put them back onto a Tiguan.

I you truly don't care about making the wheels properly usable on a Tigaun again, you can simply ask the machinist to open the centerbore up to 67mm to a depth of 10mm. That will give you more than enough clearance and they are simple numbers to remember.

Yes, those wheels require small ball seat lug nuts. 17mm head open end or 19mm head closed end, the choice is yours since either on will work on those wheels.

You can use you existing studs, no need to change.

getsideways
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
getsideways wrote:
Hey wheel gods

Yes, the centerbore (big center hole) will need to be opened up. For use on a Syncro, you don't have to machine down very far.

My suggestion is to machine the centerbore to 66.56mm to a depth of 12mm. This will give the machinist a great target diameter and will also give you the opportunity to install 66.56mm to 57.1mm hubcentric rings should anyone ever decide to put them back onto a Tiguan.

I you truly don't care about making the wheels properly usable on a Tigaun again, you can simply ask the machinist to open the centerbore up to 67mm to a depth of 10mm. That will give you more than enough clearance and they are simple numbers to remember.

Yes, those wheels require small ball seat lug nuts. 17mm head open end or 19mm head closed end, the choice is yours since either on will work on those wheels.

You can use you existing studs, no need to change.

Absolute legend!
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my Audi 200 BBS wheels finally fitted!

Centerbores opened, 12 mm spacers and lugs/bolts from T3

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wtcumby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan Reply with quote

Summers420us wrote:
wtcumby wrote:

18x8 cayenne wheels

Any fitment issues? What about Speedo, does the cap still fit? Any rubbing? Spacers? Any other info?

Upper A arms need clearanced
Speedo no issue
Center caps fit
Spacer/adapters required
Inner fender lip will need "rolled" or tire catches under certain circumstances

The ride is great and since they are all the same size (width and offset) they are rotatable. Also SUV load rated tires available which isn't the case for offset staggered (larger width in rear)
masterzee2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Diamond Racing Steel Wheels Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew if Diamond style Steel Drag/Racing Wheels could be fitted onto a late model Vanagon and if they'd work with a big brake kit? My bus is lowered on Weitec Springs & Koni Shocks if that helps at all. I'd most likely get 15" wheels if they fit. Any help would be much appreciated!

Example:

'04 Jetta GLS
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Diamond Racing Steel Wheels Reply with quote

masterzee2 wrote:
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew if Diamond style Steel Drag/Racing Wheels could be fitted onto a late model Vanagon and if they'd work with a big brake kit? My bus is lowered on Weitec Springs & Koni Shocks if that helps at all. I'd most likely get 15" wheels if they fit. Any help would be much appreciated!

You might call them to see if they do custom offsets, but they do not list any Vanagon-friendly offsets on their website. especially with a lowered van, I would be really careful with the offsets to avoid tire rubbing on the front.

I have no idea about the brake clearances.

ecsnsmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Sport Edition wheels? Found some 16x7, 35mm offset for a nice deal. Also going to run 86 Westy springs on my 89 Vanagon Tintop for a pinch more lift. Thanks for the help!
steve_hoge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See a number of posts about Sport Edition wheels around this one in the Ultimate Wheel - Post Part 2:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6435791#6435791

Sport Edition (Tire Rack house brand, mfg'd by Kosei) "F2" model, 5x112, 16x7 ET35, 20.6lbs. The through-width from the mounting face to bottom of the conical socket is 9.4mm (14.3mm to the top) - that's thin enough to accommodate stock Syncro studs.

$40/each from Craigslist, with Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70R16 tires, $125/each from Amazon.

luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, did you ever get info on load rating for the rims? Sweet deal!
steve_hoge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
Steve, did you ever get info on load rating for the rims? Sweet deal!

Not directly. These rims were originally intended for Mercedes E320 sedan (I think.)

The Tire Rack customer service agent I dealt with was as helpful as he could be - I believe he contacted Sport Edition to try and get this info. In response to his query whether the wheels had sufficient load rating for an '89 Syncro (the "O.E" or original equipment), he got this in response:

"The O.E. wheels had a very high load rating. These wheels are about 80 lbs per wheel lower on load rating than the O.E. tires. It's a very top heavy vehicle and that added stress requires a higher load rated wheel. None of our suppliers make a wheel with a high enough load rating to handle the additional stress for this fitment."

If you knew exact load rating for an '89 Syncro and an E320 you could do the math using this info.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some Ronal rims for sale in the classifieds: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1738901, can be fitted to a Vanagon with a bit of work (center-bore, perhaps longer studs and/or spacers - not sure? and of course some proper lugs)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 115, 116, 117 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 116 of 174

Jump to: