Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecsnsmb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a line on some nice Mercedes CLK wheels, 16x7 et37 that have been drilled to fit 13mm lugs and used on a Vanagon. If I am reading it right, I need 8mm spacers all around to fit them on my stock 2wd Vanagon? Thanks for your time everyone!
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what wheel/tire combo this could be? Would this be too much for an aircooled van?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
steve_hoge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmarino929 wrote:
Anyone know what wheel/tire combo this could be? Would this be too much for an aircooled van?

BFG's on 15" steelies?

But what really popped out at me in this pic is that rear window with the inset slider - too cool! Wonder where it was taken?
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve_hoge wrote:
cmarino929 wrote:

BFG's on 15" steelies?

But what really popped out at me in this pic is that rear window with the inset slider - too cool! Wonder where it was taken?

Is that wheel setup is too much for an aicooled engine? Even if the engine is tuned and in tip top shape?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmarino929 wrote:

Is that wheel setup is too much for an air cooled engine? Even if the engine is tuned and in tip top shape?

I don't think you have nearly enough power to run those, especially with the 4.57 R&P in the stock air cooled transaxle.

They look cool, though!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nydubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1990 Vanagon GL - was wondering about specs in general. New to Vanagons and running them on my mkii GTI is a completely different ball game than on the Van.

MSR style 228 and 229 - here is the spec sheet for the 228 and 229, they DO come in 5 lug Smile and have a load rating of 1400

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmarino929 wrote:
steve_hoge wrote:
cmarino929 wrote:

BFG's on 15" steelies?

Is that wheel setup is too much for an aicooled engine? Even if the engine is tuned and in tip top shape?

Like the others have said, that exact combination isn't going to perform well on a your aircooled, but remember that you could still run 15" or 16" steel wheels as long as you keep the diameter of the tires to a reasonable size. In other words, you could run those exact same wheels if the tires were not quite that tall.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nydubber wrote:
1990 Vanagon GL - was wondering about specs in general. New to Vanagons and running them on my mkii GTI is a completely different ball game than on the Van.

MSR style 228 and 229 - here is the spec sheet for the 228 and 229, they DO come in 5 lug Smile and have a load rating of 1400

Great looking wheels, but I don't see that they are available in 5x112 to match the Vanagon's bolt pattern. In addition, the offsets listed are kind of questionable for use on a Vanagon.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
cmarino929 wrote:
steve_hoge wrote:
cmarino929 wrote:

BFG's on 15" steelies?

Like the others have said, that exact combination isn't going to perform well on a your aircooled, but remember that you could still run 15" or 16" steel wheels as long as you keep the diameter of the tires to a reasonable size. In other words, you could run those exact same wheels if the tires were not quite that tall.

Awesome, thank you both for that info. I figured it would turn my westy into more of a slug than it is so i will prob stick to getting the bfg ta's on my 14" stock steel wheels.
nydubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking wheels, but I don't see that they are available in 5x112 to match the Vanagon's bolt pattern. In addition, the offsets listed are kind of questionable for use on a Vanagon.

I was going to run the smallest possible spacer/adapter combo to offset that and take it into consideration with the ET (if at all possible). I know some people shudder at the thought of spacers of any sort, but I've never had any issues so long as they are high quality and installed properly.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nydubber wrote:

I was going to run the smallest possible spacer/adapter combo to offset that and take it into consideration with the ET (if at all possible). I know some people shudder at the thought of spacers of any sort, but I've never had any issues so long as they are high quality and installed properly.

The problem that you will run into is that say you choose a 15x7 ET20 in a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The thinnest adapters that I can make are 15mm. That gives you a final offset of 5mm. You could run narrow (stretched) tires, but the package will still poke out of the fender openings and the sliding door will not open all the way.

If you were going to run a set of adapters, you are better off choosing a wheel that has a higher offset, like ET45, so that there is room for the adapter thickness without moving the wheels too far outboard.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nydubber wrote:

The problem that you will run into is that say you choose a 15x7 ET20 in a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. The thinnest adapters that I can make are 15mm. That gives you a final offset of 5mm. You could run narrow (stretched) tires, but the package will still poke out of the fender openings and the sliding door will not open all the way.

If you were going to run a set of adapters, you are better off choosing a wheel that has a higher offset, like ET45, so that there is room for the adapter thickness without moving the wheels too far outboard.

And the wheels' max load is still too low...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up those wheels today at Burning Van.

they are 16" and it says on it Ronal 13/10/00. The seller stated that they are 5x112.

I test fit one and they won't fit as is - the holes need to be enlarged and I would need longer studs front and rear (on a 2WD).

It says Ronal on it but could someone confirm that those are R28s? I thought that I read earlier in this thread that Ronal R28 fits as-is…that's not case.

Also does anyone know where i can find center caps for those?

thank you!

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put those stock Mercedes wheels on a couple vans. 5 x 112mm, ET37

I am using 215/65/16 XL tires. No spacers, slight clearancing of upper arms for 2wd.
Mine are drilled and countersunk so stock lugs and nuts fit.

Mark
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Thanks for the answer - could you elaborate on the countersunk part? I like the idea of being able to use the stock lugs but I am not sure I understand how to achieve that as there was no thread left at all on the back when I test fit one that had had the holes enlarged

Thank you in advance
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at closely at a stock 14" alloy the lug holes are drilled deep with a 60 degree counter sink. Use a counter sink bit to drill the lug holes of the Mercedes alloys to match the same thickness and angle as the stock 14" alloys. Then the stock studs will stick through the same as they do with stock alloys and the stock nuts will fit the same as they did with the stock alloys.

Mark
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I have put those stock Mercedes wheels on a couple vans. 5 x 112mm, ET37

I am using 215/65/16 XL tires. No spacers, slight clearancing of upper arms for 2wd.
Mine are drilled and countersunk so stock lugs and nuts fit.

Mark

Looks really nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mark for the additional information. I guess I would just need to find the proper bit now.

I also received more info from Christophe this morning who suggested to use spacers.

I did another test at lunch today. One of the 4 wheels had already been drilled by the previous owner so I was able to mount it.

The clearance in the front is really tight. I am not 100% certain that it would fit when there is a tire on the wheel.

They do appear to come from a 2001-2003 Mercedes CLK so that may help finding a center cap, although I would prefer to find one that does not have the Benz logo.
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
The clearance in the front is really tight. I am not 100% certain that it would fit when there is a tire on the wheel.

Double check the wheel widths. I have a set of similar wheels that I picked up to put on my Vanagon and they are a staggered set...the rear wheels are wider.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I mentioned slight clearancing of the upper arms.

Mark

SyncroChrick wrote:
.....The clearance in the front is really tight. I am not 100% certain that it would fit when there is a tire on the wheel.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 117 of 174

Jump to: