Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
panscraper_deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a huge thread and I think I may put the Audi wineglass 16's on mine, but I'm thinking these Impreza sport wheels would look MUCH MUCH better.

Impreza wheels are 5x100

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course, I'm half-assed trying to sell it right now and here's the ad if anyone wants a Subie swapped Vanny

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1775503
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just picked up a set of these rims, does anyone have information on clearance issues on a syncro? Christopher if your reading this, I am going to need all the necessary hardware to make these work. Also, Ive not seen what the countersink looks like as my van did not come with alloys. Thanks!

SyncroChrick wrote:
thanks Mark for the additional information. I guess I would just need to find the proper bit now.

I also received more info from Christophe this morning who suggested to use spacers.

I did another test at lunch today. One of the 4 wheels had already been drilled by the previous owner so I was able to mount it.

The clearance in the front is really tight. I am not 100% certain that it would fit when there is a tire on the wheel.

They do appear to come from a 2001-2003 Mercedes CLK so that may help finding a center cap, although I would prefer to find one that does not have the Benz logo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3dig wrote:
So I just picked up a set of these rims, does anyone have information on clearance issues on a syncro?

Those wheels will fit onto a Syncro nicely, but you will need longer studs front and rear and a set of small ball seat lug nuts. Thin spacers on the rear may be necessary to get the center caps to fit.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
jon-da-bomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to get the CLK320 Seven spoke wheels but in the meantime I've found a nice set of Mid 90s s-class wheels. Anyone know if they can work with a 2wd westy? What modifications would I have to make? I'm thinking a 20mm spacer might suffice, although those tires are fairly wide...

Here is the local CL ad:

Set of 4 wheels & GT Radial Champiro tires with 80-85% tread (8/32nd's)

Wheels are from a 1994 S500 W140 Mercedes but will also fit 400 sel, 500 sel, s420, S600.

Tire size is 235/60/16

RIM SIZE: 71/2Jx16H2 ET 51
THE PART # IS 140 400 09 02

Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driverfound wrote:
I bought some used Audi A4 wheels in Vancouver a week or so ago. They showed up on the bus a few days later and here they are sitting in place. Audi wheel centre bore is 57mm and my Syncro needs 66.5mm, the same as a Mercedes. The offset on these wheels is 45mm so I can add 12-15mm spacers to correct the offset but usually still have to machine the centre to cheer the axle nut Grease caps. Thankfully T3technique.com have custom spacers and long studs to easily fit these wheels to a Syncro to avoid machining the centre bore.

SyncroGhia wrote:
Nice van!

I carried out a 3 to 4 door conversion around 10 years ago and was surprised to find that the majority of the frame is already there, hidden behind the panel that you'll be cutting out.

The parts that weren't there were the floor lip (for the seal) along with corners, roof centre section, corners and trim strip that the headlining clips into.

Obviously there are the re-enforcements for the hinges and catch to fit but it's a fairly simple job and one which makes the most sense for all 3 door Dokas.

The door seal was one of the hardest parts to get hold of. I ended up cutting up a seal from something else and fitting it as I couldn't get one.

Those Audi wheels work well. I've used them with 16mm spacers up front and 20mm spacers at the back and the correct 17mm headed wheel nuts from Christopher at T3 Technique.

MG

I know I'm a little late to this party but for the record there are two versions of this Audi wheel and I have both on my Vans. One is ET45 and the other is ET 37. The ET 37 is a little easier to work with.

My ET45 van has 16mm spacer in the front and 8mm rear, with longer bolts/studs for both. My ET37 van has no spacer in the rear and a 8mm spacer in the front with longer bolts.

If you have the option the 37mm is a little easier to work with. I'm not sure which Audis had which, but I think the ET45 is more common.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dirty Sailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Wheel Fitment Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I've been around for just a short time and spend most of my time researching on here. I've found myself to the point now that I need to ask a few questions. I'll post the others in the proper threads. I know there are a ton of these questions on here and I've done a lot of reading but it seems like there is a lot of back and forth on whether different size wheels be bolted on or if there needs to be modifications. I have found these and would like to know if anyone could say whether or not I will have to alter anything on an 87 Westy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361276947627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The load rating on those 17x7 rims is a bit low. At 1500 lbs you aren't leaving much margin over the maximum static wheel load.
Dirty Sailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
The load rating on those 17x7 rims is a bit low. At 1500 lbs you aren't leaving much margin over the maximum static wheel load.

Yeah you're right I didn't really take into account loading it down. Any recommendations?
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used steel Mercedes rims on one of my past vans. I know they have 16 and 15 inch sizes in ET37 and I think ET31 available if you look around. Don't know about 17 inch. Commonly these were used for the spare on the Mercedes or for snow tires. I know there are posts about these.
PMM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, new to The Samba, great to have such advice around. I read through this awesome explanation! Looking to put 16" steel rims and new tires on my 1982 Vanagon AC. Here in Canada, Costoc sells steel rims that are really affordable, and after reading all this - I'm still wondering if these would fit:
It's their # X99127N,
Can see it on the following pdf (which includes a fitting chart and descriptions of the different models they have):

http://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCABCCatalogAss...b22015.pdf

Can get the specs quick on the bottom of pg 72, and it also lists all the vehicles and years the rims fit - Audi and Volks.

Any advice would help.
PMM
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMM wrote:
Hi folks, new to The Samba, great to have such advice around. I read through this awesome explanation! Looking to put 16" steel rims and new tires on my 1982 Vanagon AC. Here in Canada, Costoc sells steel rims that are really affordable, and after reading all this - I'm still wondering if these would fit:
It's their # X99127N,
Can see it on the following pdf (which includes a fitting chart and descriptions of the different models they have):

http://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/CostcoCABCCatalogAss...b22015.pdf

Can get the specs quick on the bottom of pg 72, and it also lists all the vehicles and years the rims fit - Audi and Volks.

Any advice would help.
PMM

Really, none of those 5x112 wheels are usable as they come from the manufacturer. They don't list the offsets of the wheels, but from past experience, I would be willing to bet that the offset is about 45mm which means that spacers would be needed. New lugs and studs would be needed and you would have to have the centerbores of those wheels machined to 66.56mm to fit the Vanagon.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
PMM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke
Thanks Chris, good to know. I'll see if i can't source some with the correct offset ET30 (?) - though I may just have to stick with the 14"s that are already on there.
WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Syncro Wheels Reply with quote

Looking to get some 15" rims for my Syncro and wanted to know if these Audi wheels would work

They are 5x112 bolt patern, 15x6j with a 45 et.

The van is a 1986 Syncro that is completely stock.

**fixed** thanks Levi

Last edited by WedgeAntillies on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 5 x112

these could be made to fit, but too much trouble
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
WBXR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.5 ET50 up front 10 ET65 in the rear. Chris helped me with the adapters.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Mercedes AMG 17x7.5ET37 what tire? '89 Full Camper Reply with quote

Hi All,

So I've poured over the wheel threads and reviewed the wheel thread about accounting for the 9% reduction in load rating (that thread unfortunately stopped at 16" rims where as I am considering 17"). Earlier this morning I sent an email off to Chris (T3) asking the same question. Sorry if I missed the answer to this question elsewhere on this forum (I used the search function to the best of my abilities).

For a 1989 Vanagon Westfalia full camper, what tire size (ex: 215/55/R17) should I put on the van to maximize all season driving (live in PNW, its wet), maximize safety, minimize power/mpg losses, and definitely not damage the van?

I do not know why people stagger the offset between the front and rear, I would like to minimize any issue with rubbing (sliding door, control arms, wheel wells).

I have 5mm spacers for all wheels to bring the offset to 32. But what tire size do I buy (2XX/XX/R17)?

In my research on this site I saw lots of people mentioning:
225/50/R17
215/55/R17
235/55/R17 (questionable)
215/50/R17
215/65/R17
225/60R17 - Yoko Geolander - I have stock springs so think these are likely out?

T3's literature (on his site) states:
"*Note* - Tire selection can be super critical for some wheel sizes/offsets as it is the tire that will make contact with the upper control arm before the wheel ever hits the upright/spindle. For the above recommended offsets, 205's should be just fine, 215's can fall into a gray area. Some fit fine at the higher recommended offsets, others will need slightly lower offsets in order to have enough clearance. 225's will definitely need to be inspected closely to ensure that they don't rub on the upper control arm. 225’s on the wheel sizes above will usually require the offsets to be at the lower end of the recommended offset range."

So does that mean I should be looking for 205/XX/R17?
(last note, my spare tire is stock R14, I can't recall which version size tire)
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16x7 ET 37

This is one of those on the fence wheels and I would love to hear anyone else chime in, I know they will fit, but spacers? Maybe 5mm? On the fronts only?

i ordered 57mm twist in studs for the front from T3 for a different wheel set up but that fell through, so now Im curious as what all I have to change

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
16x7 ET 37

This is one of those on the fence wheels and I would love to hear anyone else chime in, I know they will fit, but spacers? Maybe 5mm? On the fronts only?

i ordered 57mm twist in studs for the front from T3 for a different wheel set up but that fell through, so now Im curious as what all I have to change

That's what I'm running - OEM Mercedes versions but the size and the ET are the same.

Clearances will depend on the size of tires you're mounting on the rims. I have 225/55-16 Continentals (summers and winters) and use 1/4" spacers up front for clearance and 1/2" spacers in the back for looks.

I think a 205 tire would clear the upper control arms but I couldn't find one in a stock diameter with a 99T load rating.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
16x7 ET 37

That's what I'm running - OEM Mercedes versions but the size and the ET are the same.

Clearances will depend on the size of tires you're mounting on the rims. I have 225/55-16 Continentals (summers and winters) and use 1/4" spacers up front for clearance and 1/2" spacers in the back for looks.

I think a 205 tire would clear the upper control arms but I couldn't find one in a stock diameter with a 99T load rating.

Okay sweet good to know! The center bore wasnt an issue as well then?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
16x7 ET 37

Okay sweet good to know! The center bore wasn't an issue as well then?

Nope.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 120, 121, 122 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 121 of 174

Jump to: