Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Amazing, I am also looking at buying a set of these as my winter setup. From my online looking, these have an offset of ET37.

I did a google image search of "vanagon C240" and saw some pictures of these mounted on vanagons, looks pretty sweet.

batekush wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Would these wheels work on my 1982 2wd Vanagon and, if so, what kind of tires should i be looking at? The listing has them as 16x7s for a 2003 Mercedes C240.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Having a heck of a time finding rubber for my C230 / C240 rims

(from tires thread)

Just hope for more options from those with good experience.

Needs a 99 or better, or C or better. Something close to the 'bite' of the BFG would be nice too..

Sorry for cross threading. Seems pertinent tho.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
Having a heck of a time finding rubber for my C230 / C240 rims

(from tires thread)

Just hope for more options from those with good experience.

Needs a 99 or better, or C or better. Something close to the 'bite' of the BFG would be nice too..

Sorry for cross threading. Seems pertinent tho.

Better to keep the tires in the tire thread. The wheel stuff is already too complicated. While they are obviously related and need to work together, tossing tires into the mix of wheel fitment information is a recipe for disaster.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I found a set of Mercedes 15x7 et37 wheels. Will they fit on a syncro without spacers? I tried searching, but there are so many pages of this stuff is getting near impossible to search!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

docj78 wrote:
I found a set of Mercedes 15x7 et37 wheels. Will they fit on a syncro without spacers? I tried searching, but there are so many pages of this stuff is getting near impossible to search!

Size and offset wise, yes. However, if these are alloy wheels there is a really good chance that you would need to install longer studs front and rear. Changing the rear studs is relatively straight forward, but when you change the front studs on a Syncro, you must also change the front wheel bearings at the same time. This is because the existing front wheel bearings get destroyed when you remove the hub from the knuckle in order to change the studs.
You would also need a new set of lug nuts to match those wheels if you decide to move forward with them.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Need some 15 inch Ronal rims?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/wto/5562596164.html
cannonfodder4j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I found these merecedes wheels on CL listed as " mercedes wheels 7.5x16 et 35
bolt 2.5x5

can i use these on my 2wd 85? are spacers needed?
thanks!
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about these wheels?

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Sammyman, those are European Audi A4/A6 16x7 ET45 Winter wheels with T4 steel wheel center caps. Never sold in the US, but you can find them on German eBay.

sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Sammyman, those are European Audi A4/A6 16x7 ET45 Winter wheels with T4 steel wheel center caps. Never sold in the US, but you can find them on German eBay.

If you were able to track down a set, would they be an easy fit? Or would it take a lot to make them work properly? Are they relatively light like clk wheels?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

sammyman wrote:

If you were able to track down a set, would they be an easy fit? Or would it take a lot to make them work properly? Are they relatively light like clk wheels?

Yes, they are made by Fuchs, forged and fairly light weight but strong.

In order to fit them on a 2wd, you would need to machined the center bores and you would need spacers front and rear, new lugs front and rear and new rear studs.

To fit them on a Syncro, you would not need to machine the center bores, but spacers and such are still needed.

sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

sammyman wrote:

Yes, they are made by Fuchs, forged and fairly light weight but strong.

In order to fit them on a 2wd, you would need to machined the center bores and you would need spacers front and rear, new lugs front and rear and new rear studs.

To fit them on a Syncro, you would not need to machine the center bores, but spacers and such are still needed.

Thanks! That's incredibly helpful. I think I'll stick with the CLK's since they don't require so much work.
Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Does anyone know if these ancient beauties will fit? I can get a set of 4 with tires for a very good price. 14"

Last edited by Basilbomb on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Basilbomb, you would have to drill the lug holes out to 37/64" and you will need new lugs front and rear. You may also need longer rear studs, but there are a couple different versions of that wheels, so hard to say without knowing how thick they are through the lug hole area.

Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hmmm. So a full set of lugs and maybe studs. How about spacers? And why wouldn't the stock nuts work? Are they the wrong type?

Really appreciate the advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Basilbomb wrote:
Hmmm. So a full set of lugs and maybe studs. How about spacers? And why wouldn't the stock nuts work? Are they the wrong type?

Really appreciate the advice.

Nope, no spacers! Yes, the stock lugs are the wrong type. The seats of the stock Vanagon wheels will not fit the seats of the wheels properly.

Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Okay, so what are the kind of nuts that are required? My van has steelies presently.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Basilbomb wrote:
Okay, so what are the kind of nuts that are required? My van has steelies presently.

You would need a set of small ball seat front lug bolts and small ball seat rear lug nuts. The length of the front bolts would be determined by the thickness of the wheels through the lug hole area. The front lug bolts would have a 17mm head. The rear lug nuts come in either 17mm head open end or 19mm head closed end. The seat style is the same; just the head (the hex area) is different. Please send me an email to the address in my signature is you need more info on the availability of the lugs.

Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Great, appreciate the help.
euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I just had a blow out (left rear) with a Yoko 356 on stock steelies, so it's time to put a fresh set of tires/wheels on 'Eileen' ('84 Westy 2WD). The rears were old (2008). I'll keep one of the fronts for a spare, (they're 2015 vintage).

Just finished (finally) prepping my 1999 CLK wheels (started working on them a year ago), so I'll be test-fitting them with the new tires to see if I'll need spacers - then ordering the lug bolts, studs and nuts as needed.

'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")

Last edited by euro911 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 129 of 174

Jump to: