Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Made an update to my thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664566
Using a VW Caddy rim

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

No can see pictures.
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Photos fixed
Peter

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanWesty1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: I have a 1991 westy GL with original 14" wheels Reply with quote

Grizzly_black wrote:
Tire Rack has the exact same wheels as Go Westy sells for $595.00 + shipping / set of 4 for around $500.00 including shipping. If you order the 1993 500E Mercedes Wheels . They are 16X7.5 ET 23 with 14mm lug holes and a 66.5 center bore. They sell these wheels for $119.00/wheel with mounting hardware and they bolt on with out spacers. If you call Tire Rack and ask them for Vanagon wheels they will sell you the same set of wheels for $149.00 / wheel. I am not sure but it seems that they are working with Go Westy on this one. When I called to order the wheels the guy was surprised that I figured it out. You will end up saving about $200 ordering them from Tire Rack after Go Westy tacks on the shipping. The wheels came and worked out Great! I live in a very windy area and noticed a huge differance.

Will these wheels you suggested fit my 1991 Westfalia GL 2wd? I'm new and want to upgrade my new Westy
zoofish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I've been lurking, reading and watching in this thread for months now and have finally taken the leap for a set of 19" Wheels. I found a set of 19"x8" AMG Replica wheels (ET35) with 225/35/19 tyres upfront and 235/35/19 tyres outback.

Whilst it is still at the Workshop, getting its' Subaru H6 transplant completed, I couldn't wait to pop the wheels on the car. I'm happy to report that we have experienced NO rubbing issues whilst driving it around the yard - Wheels are currently running with NO spacers. Once it is home, we might play with some shorter grease caps upfront and a small spacer at the rear, so that we can get the centre wheel caps on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by zoofish on Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Zoofish, that's really nice!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
zoofish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Zoofish, that's really nice!

Thanks for your guidance and assistance Christopher - Appreciate it Smile

Cheers,
Trevor:).
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hello There! I recently purchased an 86' syncro weekender (a 10 year dream come true). I am putting some new tires on it & would like to get a spare wheel that matches the 4 running wheels. Looking for some info & where to purchase a 7J x 16H2 HT49 wheel to match those that are currently on the van (those sold by vancafe & gowesty are a mismatch for ET values). Pic below is of the wheel I am trying to match - any info is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

That wheel is from a VW T4, commonly called a Eurovan.
The VW parts networks appears to have them new, see below.
It looks like the center hole has been crudely enlarged to "fit" the Vanagon. If so this may make it hard to get a new tire properly balanced since most balancing machines expect the center hole to be perfectly centered.

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/Volkswagen...E-091.html

You should consider getting a better fitting wheel with an ET number between 39 and 30, such as ET37 Mercedes wheels.

Mark
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi Mark -

Thanks for your response & taking the time to send on that link! Regarding your comment that the wheel was 'crudely enlarged to fit the vanagon' - would you mind shedding more light on that? It seems from the schematic link that those wheel may have once had a sleeve which is not present on mine, so I'm assuming that was removed? When you look at the photo do you feel it was off centre?

Cheers,

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I agree with Mark 100%.

The "sleeve" that you are referring to is actually part of the wheel. It creates the center bore. The Eurovan center is 57.1mm which is too small to fit over the Vanagon front hub. It's common to have those center bores opened up by a machine shop which creates a very true center bore, but sometimes people cheap out and do it themselves and the results can be less than ideal.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher -

Thanks for your feedback aswell! The wear on the tires is allover the place, I originally put it up to tires that were run under pressure (they were ~15psi low with possibly bad alignment (lots of outer tread wear, which was even and not scalloped).

Looks like I've got to invest some more calories in this thread to understand best options for new wheels.

Cheers,
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I can't say for sure that the center hole is off center. That needs to be checked on each wheel. That "sleeve" shaped area was part of the wheel metal and has been removed.

Mark
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hey, those lug nuts kinda look like they only have about 3 or 4 turns on them, is that right?
I think you want 7 full rotations.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Hey, those lug nuts kinda look like they only have about 3 or 4 turns on them, is that right?
I think you want 7 full rotations.

Those are the stock Vanagon nuts and they are about 20mm deep. Judging by the photo, he looks to have about 17mm or so worth of thread engagement which would be about 11.3 turns.

inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Chris -

I believe the previous owner completed a big brake upgrade on the front - i say that because the rotors appear to be vented. I plan to take off the wheel and have a better look.

That being said, does that mean a wheel with a greater positive offset number (like the 49's i currently have) need to be installed? FYI the information on your T3 website is very helpful - thank you!

Cheers,
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

inorganic wrote:
Chris -

I believe the previous owner completed a big brake upgrade on the front - i say that because the rotors appear to be vented. I plan to take off the wheel and have a better look.

That being said, does that mean a wheel with a greater positive offset number (like the 49's i currently have) need to be installed? FYI the information on your T3 website is very helpful - thank you!

Cheers,

That depends on the brake kit that is used. The Eurospec kit does not change the wheel mounting location compared to stock. The newest GW kit moves the wheel mounting location inboard by a couple of millimeters. The Small Car Kit moves the wheel mounting location outboard from stock by a bit, but how much depends on when the kit was purchased since SC made changes over the years.

Generally speaking, the Eurospec kit and the GW kit do not require any specific changes or accommodations for wheel offset, but the SC kit often benefits from having wheels with slightly higher offsets to help prevent the wheels from poking out too much.

inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi Chris -

Thanks for the info regarding the brake kits & clearance. Due to cost I am leaning towards sourcing a wheel to match my current set of 4 & taking it to a professional machine shop to complete the opening of the centre bore.

I am curious to find out of if the previous owner put some 10mm spacers to bring it between the 30-39 range - which I'll find out once i take the bugger off! If not - is this something you would suggest doing?

Cheers,
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

inorganic wrote:

I am curious to find out of if the previous owner put some 10mm spacers to bring it between the 30-39 range - which I'll find out once i take the bugger off! If not - is this something you would suggest doing?

10mm spacers will not fit unless the studs have been changed to accommodate them. Chances are good that that has not happened.

I do feel that spacers are essential to making the wheels that you have fit properly. However, like I said, you would have to change the studs in order to do so.

inorganic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Cool - I'll be able to get under the van in the next week or so to tell for sure. In the event that spacers/studs are required - do you have any suggestions in length of either & supplier?

Cheers,
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 132, 133, 134 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 133 of 174

Jump to: