Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

inorganic, if I am understanding your question correctly: Here is a website for you to take a look at. You might find that this guy knows quite a bit about what you will be needing. He is very kind, reasonably priced, and willing to answer questions well beyond what I have found to be usual and customary. Anyway, I got a few things from this website, and they are top notch:

http://t3technique.com/lug-nuts-studs-and-bolts/
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher,

This won't be the last time I bug you, but it will be the last time for a while.

I found a used set of the Mercedes 15 inch rims that GoWesty sells the replicas of. Im getting them sandblasted now.

I beleive the ET is 37.

I also like big tires. I found a good deal on some 215/75/r15 BFGs...

Do I need spacers from you? Do you anticipate any problems with this combo?

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Christopher,

This won't be the last time I bug you, but it will be the last time for a while.

I found a used set of the Mercedes 15 inch rims that GoWesty sells the replicas of. Im getting them sandblasted now.

I beleive the ET is 37.

Mercedes offered a few different 15" wheels with a 37mm offset. Depending on the width, yes, you may need spacers. Also, depending on the style of wheel, the Mercedes center caps may not fit. While most look very similar to the Mercedes replica wheels, some have some subtle differences that cause the caps not to fit.

In other words, I would need to know the part number of the wheels (or a photo and the width) to know for sure what you would be looking at for parts.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Right...thats important.

They are 15x6.5 ET37...

And I ordered some GW centercaps (with the decal) and they are identical to the MB ones I removed.

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Halifaxwesty wrote:
Christopher,

I beleive the ET is 37.

Mercedes offered a few different 15" wheels with a 37mm offset. Depending on the width, yes, you may need spacers. Also, depending on the style of wheel, the Mercedes center caps may not fit. While most look very similar to the Mercedes replica wheels, some have some subtle differences that cause the caps not to fit.

In other words, I would need to know the part number of the wheels (or a photo and the width) to know for sure what you would be looking at for parts.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Right...thats important.

They are 15x6.5 ET37...

And I ordered some GW centercaps (with the decal) and they are identical to the MB ones I removed.

Those wheels often times require spacers but not always. I always recommend running them front and rear though since it makes the installation much better looking and gives you plenty of clearance.

There are two different styles of Mercedes wheels come in that size. One, the caps fit fine, the other, the caps don't fit. I would need a photo or part number to tell which you have.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The MB part number for 6,5x15 37 steel rims is 210 400 0202
Edit: no spacers needed on syncro, dont know on 2-wd

What also fits on a Syncro (was in the mod of doing something stupid)
33x12.5x15 on 10x15 Jeep rims Wink

https://youtu.be/ViMVxyRLgvY
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Noob here, actually I'm an old fart but just getting into doing a subi swap for my daughter and felt the need to keep her safe with a loaded van, obviously that means a tire and wheel upgrade.

I've been keeping my eyes out for some deals on and found some 2017 Tiguan's with 215/65/16 dunlops with less than 500 miles for a steel of a deal

Will they fit a 2 wheel drive 1982 westy?

Thanks for the help, I've been a lurker here for a while and decided it was time to join and start posting questions and contribute when I can.
gregaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Can someone explain the difference between South African steelies (Van Cafe) vs Mefro vs GoWesty? Looking at 16x7, they are all about the same price and on sale this weekend.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

warezdog wrote:
Noob here, actually I'm an old fart but just getting into doing a subi swap for my daughter and felt the need to keep her safe with a loaded van, obviously that means a tire and wheel upgrade.

I've been keeping my eyes out for some deals on and found some 2017 Tiguan's with 215/65/16 dunlops with less than 500 miles for a steel of a deal

Will they fit a 2 wheel drive 1982 westy?

Thanks for the help, I've been a lurker here for a while and decided it was time to join and start posting questions and contribute when I can.

Hey,
Welcome. I saw your post on the subaruvanagon list and figured you'd find an answer soon. User vanonimous here has the same wheels and from one of his posts it looks like the centerbore must be opened up to 66.6 in order to fit a 2WD Vanagon. Search in this thread on "Tiguan" and you will find the numerous posts I found, including your own. You may also need lugs with smaller ball seats, maybe longer ones, but the deal you found with tires would be hard to beat if you don't mind a little extra work. His pic below. Good luck!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, I just didn't know if there was any diff in Tiguan wheels from 2016 to 2017, from what I can tell there isn't so I think I'm going to jump on them while the getting is good!
ischias
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hello im trying here to see if I can get the right info about these wheels on this bus.
Love the look and the stance on this one.
I would like to have the same rims on my Vw Carat T3 1986.
Hope someone here can help me with this.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Great looking van!

Those wheels look like a set of 18" BBS E28 or E88 wheels. I have no idea what the widths are, but I can tell you that to run a wheel that far outboard will require either a really stiff suspension or extremely careful driving habits to prevent the front tires from tearing up the fender lips.

ischias
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the info.
This will help me a lot.
Cheers.
Jan.
offtherailz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Morning,
I've been dragged into the future, well new to T25's having owned a bug for 30 years, I thought it was time to get something modern Laughing
The wheels i like are these on a UK ebay ad:

Selling genuine Mercedes E class complete set of 4 stainless alloy wheels.
Part number 2114011202.
ET42 7.5J X 16 H2

You guys seem to talk another language when you talk about wheels, and i'm clueless and confused, so will these fit?

I like the Tolimans' but I thought they were CLK?

Any guidance would be good. Phil
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher at T3 will likely respond but I found his info here very helpful
http://www.t3technique.com/media/pdf/Vanagon_Syncro_Wheel_Facts.pdf
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hey Christopher,

Me again here with the rims back from sandblasting and coating....

The numbers on the back look like
210 401 03 02

15 x 6.5 ET37

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Right...thats important.

They are 15x6.5 ET37...

Those wheels often times require spacers but not always. I always recommend running them front and rear though since it makes the installation much better looking and gives you plenty of clearance.

There are two different styles of Mercedes wheels come in that size. One, the caps fit fine, the other, the caps don't fit. I would need a photo or part number to tell which you have.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty, those are the ones that do not allow the center caps to fit. The powder coating looks great!

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

offtherailz1 wrote:

Part number 2114011202.
ET42 7.5J X 16 H2

Yes, those wheels will fit, but you will need some new mounting hardware. For a 2wd, you will need spacers front and rear, longer large ball seat lug bolts for the front, longer rear studs and a set of large ball seat lug nuts for the rear.

Quote:
I like the Tolimans' but I thought they were CLK?

Any guidance would be good. Phil

The wheels you are looking at are Toliman wheels, but there are a number of different Toliman wheels available. Some were for the CLK, some were for the E-Class cars, etc.

Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Chris,

Do you mean the grease caps or the GW ones I bought? Is there anything I can buy from you to remedy this?

Thats industrial DuPont coating ( blasted, primed and painted for 55 bucks a wheel CDN) Powder coating is too rich for my blood...

I currently run the 14 inch Mercedes "Bundt" Wheels. I got hardware from you for those. I believe I can use the same on these?

Could I pair these with some BFG 215/75/R15?

Halifaxwesty, those are the ones that do not allow the center caps to fit. The powder coating looks great!

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
Chris,

Do you mean the grease caps or the GW ones I bought? Is there anything I can buy from you to remedy this?

Thats industrial DuPont coating ( blasted, primed and painted for 55 bucks a wheel CDN) Powder coating is too rich for my blood...

I currently run the 14 inch Mercedes "Bundt" Wheels. I got hardware from you for those. I believe I can use the same on these?

Could I pair these with some BFG 215/75/R15?

The grease caps will poke out past the face of the wheels so the stock Mercedes or the GW caps will not fit. Yes, there is a center cap solution available. Please send me an email to the address in my signature for more info on that.

The Bundt wheels and the new wheels you are working with both use the small ball seat lugs, but the front lug bolts that you currently have will probably be too short. You can reuse the rear lug nuts though.

A 215/75R15 is too tall for a typical 2wd in my opinion.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 133, 134, 135 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 134 of 174

Jump to: