Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Got these back from Sierra Wheel in Reno today. Double powdered silver with a 3rd coat of clear. Thanks for sending that front diff bolt out so fast yesterday Chris. These are 15x7 ET35 I have 4 7mm spacers here from another project. I'm thinking that will be ok with 215/75/15 tires on a lifted tin top syncro don't you ? I'll be ordering lugs from you when the time comes. I think these are conical seat. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoofish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
Got these back from Sierra Wheel in Reno today. Double powdered silver with a 3rd coat of clear. Thanks for sending that front diff bolt out so fast yesterday Chris. These are 15x7 ET35 I have 4 7mm spacers here from another project. I'm thinking that will be ok with 215/75/15 tires on a lifted tin top syncro don't you ? I'll be ordering lugs from you when the time comes. I think these are conical seat. Thanks

These are HEAVEN!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

outwesty wrote:
These are 15x7 ET35 I have 4 7mm spacers here from another project. I'm thinking that will be ok with 215/75/15 tires on a lifted tin top syncro don't you ?

Those Ronals look beautiful!!! And yes, 7mm spacers will be perfect on the front of a 2wd, but not needed on a Syncro. Personally, I would run thicker spacers on the rear of a 2wd to help even out the track width, but that's a personal preference.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I saw a note that someone was running 15x6, ET45's without spacers at one point in time (syncro I think), but it looked like he was going to add a space. This was many years ago.

Any insight into whether a 15x6 ET45 on a 2wd Van would work with or without spacers?

What other modifications would need to be made? Lugs, lug nuts, center bore , etc.

Thinking I would run a 215/70R15 OR a 205/70R15 Geolanders on them.

It's the Audi wheel attached that I am considering.

Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

h00drat wrote:

Any insight into whether a 15x6 ET45 on a 2wd Van would work with or without spacers?

What other modifications would need to be made? Lugs, lug nuts, center bore , etc.

On a 2wd, you definitely need spacers, no question. You will also have to have the center bore opened up to 66.56mm to a minimum depth of 35mm and you will need new front lug bolts, new rear lug nuts and new rear wheel studs.

You may run into issues running the center caps too, but without a measurement from the wheel/hub mating surface to the backside of the cap, I can't say for sure.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
h00drat wrote:

On a 2wd, you definitely need spacers, no question. You will also have to have the center bore opened up to 66.56mm to a minimum depth of 35mm and you will need new front lug bolts, new rear lug nuts and new rear wheel studs.

You may run into issues running the center caps too, but without a measurement from the wheel/hub mating surface to the backside of the cap, I can't say for sure.

Damn. What numbers should I be looking for to keep the modifications to a minimum on a 2wd? I'd like to bump to a 15, but with minimal mods.

What about 15" steelies from a Jetta or something?
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

It's a balancing act of several factors.
Sometimes you look at a wheel and it just requires too much to be reasonable.

It's nice if you can avoid having to open up the center bore of the wheel, so that's one area to try and match up.

The ideal, the original ET, was 30.
A lower number like 23 et sticks out away from the van, so that you don't need spacers (although there are possible other issues ), a higher number like 45 is closer in so the tires would be against components, so you have to use spacers to push it back out.

37 et is only 7mm closer but still MAY need a spacer, depending on the tire.

Lug nut holes are sometimes too small, but that's usually a real easy one to drill out.

This is a general idea, there's small details involved also like having the proper lug nut shape, like conical or ball, but all that can be bought from Christopher.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have always liked these and they are pretty cheap if I want them, however these are 15" ETof 45, 6"wide. I know not to many tires with the appropriate rating are out there, but certainly it has to more than the couple for 14"rims.

Chis, would you bother with these at all for a stock 7 passenger 2wd vanagon?
would much hardware be needed outside of stock? I guess this is just like the other audi wheels above, but I wondered if these would be special in any way.

Thanks,
T

Also, if you look closely, the drapes in the house match the Vanagon, illustrating outstanding thematic continuity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Neptuno, those wheels are definitely a good, strong wheel that can work well on a 2wd, but you will have to have the center bores opened up to 66.56mm and you will spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear studs and new rear lug nuts. Unfortunately, the center caps will not fit, but you may be able to do something custom to solve that issue.

For tires, the 205/70R15 Nokian eNTYRE would be a great choice.

87RedWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: wheel loose on hub? Reply with quote

I just bought some 16 inch steel Mefros for my 2WD Westy, and put the Nokian Hakka 8 studded snow tires on them. What a beast.

When I got them mounted, however, the tire guy was concerned that the wheel was loose on the hub before tightening the lug nuts. He thought I needed a ring to make it fit tighter. (He didn't have any to sell me, so I think it was genuine concern, not just a marketing ploy.) I consulted the online store where I bought the wheels, and they assured me this was ok. I've driven about 20 miles since getting them on and there's no wobble.

Any thoughts?
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Chris,

Thanks for the information about the 15" audi wheels. I also came across these mercedes wheels. 16x7 ET of 31.

Also, if you look closely, the drapes in the house match the Vanagon, illustrating outstanding thematic continuity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: wheel loose on hub? Reply with quote

87RedWesty wrote:

When I got them mounted, however, the tire guy was concerned that the wheel was loose on the hub before tightening the lug nuts.

Any thoughts?

Nope no concern at all! Vanagons came from the factory non-hubcentric.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Neptuno, those particular Mercedes wheels will bolt on without spacers, but you will need to drill the lug holes to 37/64" and you will need new front lug bolts, new rear lug nuts and longer rear studs.

Honestly, while rear spacers are not necessary, adding them makes the final installation look much better.

The Mercedes center caps will not fit (possibly on the rear if add spacers, but not on the front), but there are aftermarket caps available to solve that issue.

toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hey Chris, what about fitting these to syncro? spacers needed? Thanks

Neptuno wrote:
I have always liked these and they are pretty cheap if I want them, however these are 15" ET of 45, 6"wide. I know not to many tires with the appropriate rating are out there, but certainly it has to more than the couple for 14"rims.

Chis, would you bother with these at all for a stock 7 passenger 2wd vanagon?
would much hardware be needed outside of stock? I guess this is just like the other audi wheels above, but I wondered if these would be special in any way.

Thanks,
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Gotta give some serious props out to Christopher at T3 for answering about a jillion questions about a dozen craiglist ads of "will these work?"

Basically after realizing that all but MB rims would need a center bore effectively adding $50 per rim in cost I took his advice and went with MB rims and landed these.

What really sold me was the yard was having a 40% off sale on New Years day and I rolled out with these for $175. One has some lip rash but that will be the spare, they all had tires holding air but the yard wanted too much for the crappy tires so I made them take them off!

THANKS AGAIN CHRISTOPHER!

I've emailed you about getting some lugs and studs for these from you.[/img]
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Do these need to be bored out with spacers? Thanks

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/wto/5949766583.html

Answered my own question Smile

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

takeiteasy wrote:
Do these need to be bored out with spacers? Thanks

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/wto/5949766583.html

Answered my own question Smile

The money rabbit hole can go deep with some wheels.
Just in case you weren't thinking about it, in addition to the 15mm spacers you'd need with these, with some wheels you also need
center bore drilled out
lug holes drilled out
correct nut and ball seat shape
longer lug bolts up front (necessary with that 15 mm spacer)
rear wheel studs pulled and longer ones pressed in (necessary as above

I might have missed something....
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

This helped me out when looking for wheels at the yard, my junkyard cheat sheet, the first part is from Chris with offsets, the second is what Mercs should work and by that I mean bolt on without spacers. you'll still have to bore the lug holes but that is the cost of the drill bit, buy new ball nuts and studs from Chris of course! Other than that if you keep the tire size reasonable they should just bolt on.

Credit to the offsets goes to Chris, I just wanted to be able to double check after unbolting a rim to see if it was worth taking off the other three.
15x6 - ET30 through ET35
15x6.5 - ET30 through ET35
15x7 – ET30
15x7.5 – ET25 (not recommended)
15x8 – ET18 (not recommended at all – wheel will be outside the wheel opening)
16x6 – ET30 through ET35
16x7 – ET30 through ET35
16x7.5 – ET28 through ET30 (Tire width is critical in this application. The narrower the better)
16x8 – ET17 (not recommended at all – wheel will be outside the wheel opening)
17x7 – ET30 through ET42
17x7.5 – ET30 through ET36
17x8 – ET30 17x8.5 – ET23 (not recommended)
STOCK WHEELS THAT FIT
6Jx15 ET33
6.5Jx16 ET31

LIST OF MERCS that should BOLT ON, note that SHOULD, this list was made from data here http://www.wheel-fitment.com/PCD/5x112%20/66.6.html

SLK 1996-2011 ONLY FRONTS WILL WORK REARS WILL NEED SPACERS!
SL 1971-2011
CLS 2004-2010
E 1976-1985
C 2000-2007
S 1979-1991

Using the site I went to LQK's site and inventoried the list of "possible" cars and noted what size and offset they might have that would work.

I loved the SLK look but rears are too wide and finding another 2 rims plus a donut or 3 more to have a proper spare when out the window when I found the C230's, of course they were way in the back of the yard but worth the haul.

MERCEDES-BENZ SLK230 1998 12/15/2016
Section: Imports
Row: H
Space: 10
Color: Red
6.5Jx16 ET30
7Jx16 ET30
7Jx16 ET37

MERCEDES-BENZ E320 1995 12/8/2016
Row: G
Space: 6
Color: Black
6.5Jx15 ET30
7.5Jx16 ET35
7.5Jx16 ET35
7Jx16 ET38

MERCEDES-BENZ C230 1997 12/8/2016
Row: F
Space: 69
Color: White
6.5Jx15 ET32

MERCEDES-BENZ C230 2000 12/23/2016
Row: A
Space: 48
Color: Silver
7Jx15 ET38
7Jx16 ET38 |
7.5Jx16 ET35

MERCEDES-BENZ 560SEL 1991 11/23/2016
Row: E
Space: 4
CHECK RIM
6.5Jx14 ET30
6.5Jx14 ET30

MERCEDES-BENZ E320 2000 11/30/2016
Space: 33
7Jx16 ET37
7.5Jx16 ET35

MERCEDES-BENZ S430 2002 11/28/2016
Space: 20
7Jx16 ET37
7Jx17 ET37

MERCEDES-BENZ S320 1996 11/21/2016
Row: D
Space: 42
Color: White
7Jx16 ET38
7.5Jx16 ET38

MERCEDES-BENZ E320 1999 11/15/2016
Row: D
Space: 7
7Jx16 ET37
7.5Jx16 ET35

I highly suggest making a cheat sheet for the yard, it allowed me to quickly go to each car and note the size/offset and if they would fit so if I had to match up 5 from a few cars I knew what to look for.

I would also recommend an impact, I had bought a C3 from Sears during a sale and got 2 large batteries and the impact for $125 and it made taking off wheels a breeze. If you take a breaker bar bring a friend and the cars are off the ground and getting lugs broke with a wheel that moves is a real PITA. The best way to do it is to find some other scrap rims with tires and build a "wedge" to keep the rim and tire you're trying to get from turning.
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Forged Audi URS4 (Fuchs) 16x8 ET40 bored to 66.56×10mm, 12mm spacers on front and 15mm spacers rear. Tires are 225/65 Vredestein Comtrac load D.
Thanks T3 Technique!

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks to Christopher for OUTSTANDING service, quality parts, and LIGHTNING LIKE SHIPPING!!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 135 of 174

Jump to: