Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
Forged Audi URS4 (Fuchs) 16x8 ET40
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man, that looks really, really good! Nice job!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

warezdog wrote:

That's some mighty clean looking parts there. Nice!!!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

New owner here, sorry Rolling Eyes

I'm upgrading my 14's on an 86 2wd Vanagon GL to black 16" steelies and am confused about what offset will work. Here's what I'm looking at, which have an offset of 41, 2.283 hub bore. I'm hoping to run them with 215/70r16 tires. Does anyone have any idea if I can run this offset (41) without spacers?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Wheel-62-Series-Snow-B...7675.l4066

I'm hoping to run 215/70r16 BFGs with them at stock until I can lift it an inch or two.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I sure hope ChrisToph3r has a clue on the rims. AND... I know this isn;t the place to talk tires, mod's will whack me for it.... but, that rubber is somewhere around 27.9" and that will make some funny things happen... Better to have the LAST thing you do to your van be the wheels and tires.. [Well... actually, the very last thing would be an alignment]
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I sure hope ChrisToph3r has a clue on the rims. AND... I know this isn;t the place to talk tires, mod's will whack me for it.... but, that rubber is somewhere around 27.9" and that will make some funny things happen... Better to have the LAST thing you do to your van be the wheels and tires.. [Well... actually, the very last thing would be an alignment]

Funny things? Can you elaborate? Do you mean gearing and speedo or physical fitment/useability issues?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The center bore is too small. Machining needed.
The offset is too large. Spacers needed.

Tire size too large, rubbing on some bumps.
215/65/16 is better fit.

Mark

86scotty wrote:

I'm upgrading my 14's on an 86 2wd Vanagon GL to black 16" steelies and am confused about what offset will work. Here's what I'm looking at, which have an offset of 41, 2.283 hub bore. I'm hoping to run them with 215/70r16 tires. Does anyone have any idea if I can run this offset (41) without spacers?

I'm hoping to run 215/70r16 BFGs with them at stock until I can lift it an inch or two.

Thanks
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The center bore is too small. Machining needed.
The offset is too large. Spacers needed.

Tire size too large, rubbing on some bumps.
215/65/16 is better fit.

Mark

86scotty wrote:

Thanks

Thanks. I have no problem running slightly smaller tires. I have searched and searched and can't find the minimum center bore for a 2wd Vanagon. Does anyone know what it is?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
.... You will also have to have the center bore opened up to 66.56mm ......
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

What they all said, plus "Spare won't fit in clamshell"
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
.... You will also have to have the center bore opened up to 66.56mm ......

Thanks. I've read through most of this thread but I missed that.

@ bobbyblack, Thanks. I knew that. I'm planning on building a rear spare rack.

I have read many posts on wheels and will continue but still trying to figure out what steelies will mount right up. I'm hoping for 16"s but may have to resort to 15"s.

I know the 2000ish Passat and Jetta wheels will supposedly work but they're 15"s. I'm not sure about the center bore on those.

Thanks all
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Quote:
I have read many posts on wheels and will continue but still trying to figure out what steelies will mount right up. I'm hoping for 16"s but may have to resort to 15"s.

Mercedes 16x7 ET37 steel wheels (part #2034000302 and 2084000102) and Mercedes 15x6.5 ET37 steel wheels (part #2024000102) will bolt up (with the correct lugs of course), but you will be limited to a 205 or narrower tire if you don't want to run spacers.

Quote:
I know the 2000ish Passat and Jetta wheels will supposedly work but they're 15"s. I'm not sure about the center bore on those.

Almost all Audi or VW wheels will need their center bores opened up since they are too small to fit otherwise.

warezdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

[quote="Christopher Schimke"]
warezdog wrote:

Thanks! Lot of work but you only do this once right?!

They started like this!

Wirebrush and kero

wiped down after kero bath

sand blasted and finally almost ready for paint.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

[quote="warezdog"]
warezdog wrote:

Thanks! Lot of work but you only do this once right?!
sand blasted and finally almost ready for paint.

Very nice! Sending you mine... Shocked
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Here are some good tip on wheels and spacers.

http://transportermagazine.com/category/vanagon/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

This seems like a great place to post this:

this was recently listed in the classifieds, 3 CLK 16" rims at $100/ea.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2018081

Wheels located in Florida.

cheers (not associated w/ seller etc)
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Want steel rims and don't mind working a little bit?
Passat rims. Welder. Hole saw and drill.
Fits fine on a Syncro. Now to sell the tires the rims came with and get some 205 or 215 tires.

Weld a short piece of metal across as a guide for the hole saw. Drill from the inside of the rim out.

Last edited by UngaWunga on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would be handy to have a syncro only or 2wd only post, the blend makes it harder to sort through the info.

Found some 10 hole Benz wheels on CL 16x7.5 et42 and trying to find if I will have issues with my syncro.

TIA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a 15x6 ET37 Passat steel wheel with a 57.1mm centerbore, part number 3B0601027D. These will fit the Syncro and 2wd without spacers, but again, the centerbore needs to be opened up and 205/215 tires are required on a 2wd.

All of the wheels above are designed for small ball seat lugs.

Can you elaborate on the 205/215 tires?

I am trying to figure out what tires will work with my 91 Tin Top using the Passat Steel Wheels 15 x 6 ET 37. So far I have been able to buy two wheels and had their center bores opened to 66.56mm as you suggest.

The tires I am looking at are the General Grabber AT2 205/75r15 or the 215/75r15.

Thanks for the help...........Tim
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

UngaWunga wrote:
Want steel rims and don't mind working a little bit?
Passat rims. Welder. Hole saw and drill.
Fits fine on a Syncro. Now to sell the tires the rims came with and get some 205 or 215 tires.

Weld a short piece of metal across as a guide for the hole saw. Drill from the inside of the rim out.

while I applaud your "go to" mentality, I do have to wonder about balance issues. Is it an optical illusion or is there more "meat" taken off the one side of the bore than the other?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I saw that, too. That off centre hole will make it impossible to balance the wheels.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 135, 136, 137 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 136 of 174

Jump to: