Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja 1000
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Baja 1000 Reply with quote

My father was an avid race car driver in the local modified car circuit here in Tucson back in the 50's. In 1959 he suffered an 'accident' during a spin out - his manifold came loose in his ford and smashed in his face, slicing his left eye. So - at that point his dreams of being a Indi-Racer were gone, but he kept up racing.

When the Baja was started - he of course HAD to compete, and began modifying VW's for the races. He build rails, and dune buggies, but every year they would crap out.

Sick of all this, he quit - but his friend was determined to win something. So - my dad found a stock 63 bug with a 1200cc engine in 1965. With only 3k miles on it he bought it for 30 bucks (it had been rolled) - and took it home and began to cut it up. He took the front and rear clips off, and welded on a box to protect the gastank. He then welded a windshield on, and a roll bar system.

Sick to death of modifying the engines and having them crap out, he left this one BONE STOCK. He put on 16 inch wheels, and gave it to his friend with a smile and a 'Good luck - you'll need it.'

Needless to say the bone stock, 40hp oilbath VW came in 27th (out of 100) without ONE breakdown. My dad got the car back and kept it - we still have it to this day. Sadly the engine suffered a severe case of 'Thrown Rod.' Being towed across AZ, the buggy sliped into 2nd (worn tranny) and the engine sadly couldnt take it at 70 mph. My unlce only stoped when he saw smoke coming from the rear tires on the buggy (engine also siezed).

But - it has a rebuilt 1600sp (origional exhaust by dad built) and new tranny and is going strong.

Ryan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:04 pm    Post subject: Baja 1000 Reply with quote

This is great! My bug is just a hobby as I don't use it for daily driving yet your story makes me think it's going to outlive every car I buy and me besides...as long as it doesn't get totaled.
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: Baja 1000 Reply with quote

I drive my 71 every day and I have a lot less problems than people I know with newer cars. My problems cost less and I can do it myself. Air cooled for ever!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Baja 1000 Reply with quote

Sort of on the subject of rails and bajas:

My Dad drove a Corvair in the late 60s. He built a Meyers Manx at about the same time. Well, one day he was t-boned in the Corvair, and, needless to say, it was toast. So naturally, he transplanted to 110 HP Corvair engine into the Manx and it became his daily driver. He said he could get the tires off the ground through both first and second gear. Of course, he went through clutches like mad. He got so good at it that it would only take 45 minutes to replace the clutch and have it all back together (with a friend)! Unfortunately, he sold it when he moved overseas. So, if you ever see a green Manx with a Corvair engine somewhere in the Southwest, that's probably it...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:16 am    Post subject: Baja 1000 Reply with quote

Yes - these little bettle engines sure do take a beating! But - I think mainly the trick is to leave it stock - and have faith in the engine - and it will do anything you want. I have a 63 beetle with a 1600dp in it. I dont use stand offs, I have all the engine compartment seals in place, and never once has it overheated here in Arizona. AND - with a stock tranny I've done 70mph on I-10 and never overheated. THAT is faith. Only break down (serious) I had was when the mexican clutch I had blew out after only 2k miles.

Corvair in a VW? Welll - I've heard of that one before - I once even saw a Nash Metropolitan with a Hemi in it. (Talk about a tight squeeze!)

Ryan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: