Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bodywork How To's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:
Matt, thanks for that info on the EZ out. I didn't know how they worked.

Is there a specific brand that you recomend?

Actually mine i bought from the Matco truck. Most tool trucks, Sears and i believe Home Depot carries a set.
DoozerD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great thread...First class Matt.
spook1s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread. I have a question Matt. Have you ever replaced a nose panel on a Ghia? I bought a panel that does not have the vent boxes already mounted in it and now I'm kind of perplexed as to the process. If you haven't done this, do you know anybody that has on here? I would love to see the process documented as well as your stuff!
happilymarried
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I was planning to start some body work on my first project bug in a few weeks, and I really had no idea where to begin. Thanks again from a total newbie!!!!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good thread. I think people are too quick to trash workable parts, when often they can be salvaged. Just a matter of carefully disassembling the assemblies the way the factory put them together and then lots of trial fitting so that the finished work will fit correctly. You can always tell when a vehicle wasn't preassembled prior to paint. Things don't line up correctly and by then it is too late.

Nice work on those lower corners. Access is pretty tough there.
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore progress on your bus Matt? I hope it's coming along.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmag69 wrote:

Sorry, actually its show season for my El Camino, so i have had little time to do much with the bus...............but hopefully soon.
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt K. wrote:
gmag69 wrote:

Sorry, actually its show season for my El Camino, so i have had little time to do much with the bus...............but hopefully soon.

What year is your El Camino? I like the 80's ones myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmag69 wrote:
Matt K. wrote:
gmag69 wrote:

Look in my Photobucket account in my Sig line, its the red '64.
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt K. wrote:
gmag69 wrote:
Matt K. wrote:
gmag69 wrote:

Look in my Photobucket account in my Sig line, its the red '64.

You have some sweet rides in there. I like the flamed bus Laughing. I like the El Camino. It looks sweet. Congrats on a sweet ride. I'd roll it Cool .
cDubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happilymarried wrote:
Matt, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I was planning to start some body work on my first project bug in a few weeks, and I really had no idea where to begin. Thanks again from a total newbie!!!!

x2 thanks very much Matt. I will be starting my 2nd 67 bug project soon and my this will be my first run with body work, so this is extremely helpful. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. Keep us updated!
tibs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have this in a bug version? hehe
nice how to. very good info here
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AJ Quick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread.

Good work Matt!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait for the end of show season so we can get new updates!

Great job!

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have seen where there could be some confusion on primers so i will shed a little light on the subject.

Etching Primer: A catalyzed product -This is usually for bare metal applications, say you car came from the media blaster this is the first primer you would spray onto the clean metal surface. It provides the "bite" needed for all the other primers. Now not all bare metal needs this, i would only use it if the car was completely stripped.....its not really needed for small areas as Epoxy primers will have excellent adheasion for the smaller areas.

Epoxy or DTM (Direct -to- metal) primers: These are usually catalyzed (activated for drying purposes) and offer excellent adheasion and corrosion protection for bare metal, body filler etc. Some of these come in a "High Build" which means it is heavier bodied and will go on a little thicker for better filling of scratches and uneven areas.

Urethane primers: These are catalyzed as well, now some of these are not designed to go straight over bare metal, good for going over old paint and bodyfiller but may require another primer to be sprayed prior to its use.

[!!!u]Now i may point out that there are many primers on the market these days and every manufacturer may have their own way or procedure for how their product should be used.... most companies have a website and offer "tech sheets" or information about how their product is mixed, used and what it is compatible with. If you are unsure look to these websites for information prior to buying or using a particular product to make sure it is right for your application[/u]!!!!.

High Build primer: These are usually catalyzed and offer a higher density material great for filling sand scratches, un-even areas and so forth. This is the most common type of primer that is used to get the car straight. It is with this type of primer that you will spray on a few coats and block out to get the panels really straight. Some will come as an epoxy or a urethane and even DTM ( direct to metal)

Polyester primer: Now these are the lesser type of primer, i usually stay away from these types of primer. They will work and some are very inexpensive but some brands go on very thin, may shrink back excessively and are very porous which means the soak up water and ususlly do not like to be wet sanded as they really trap moisture and will bubble the paint down the road.

Primer/Sealer: These are usually catalyzed unless they are waterbased products and are used one of two ways....1 as a regular low build primer to fix some small problems or 2 the can be thinned out a little more and used as a sealer prior to your paint.

Sealer: Now this is used to help add a barrier between the existing paint and the new paint your putting on or it can be used to give a more uniform base color prior to your paint. It will help greatly on helping to keep the under sealer products from affecting your color and clear. These come in either a catalyzed version or a water base version.

Hope this helps..............
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you write covering paint? equipment and painting proceedure after the bodywork is completed. my guess is most guys want to know how to do it themselves in their own garage.
thank you. this was great information.
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacky wrote:
can you write covering paint? equipment and painting proceedure after the bodywork is completed. my guess is most guys want to know how to do it themselves in their own garage.
thank you. this was great information.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum called "Paint Processes Explained"..............check it out and see if it makes sense to you...if not then just ask the questions that you want answered.
Bus R Us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: pitting on front windows Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm enjoying these lessons. I've just started working on the windows of my 60 bus. There is a lot of pitting on the lower section of the sill and on the top of the bus by the drip rail. What do you guys use to fill these pits in?

Thanks,
Jacques
Matt K.
Paint and Body Nutcase

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: pitting on front windows Reply with quote

Bus R Us wrote:
Hi,

I'm enjoying these lessons. I've just started working on the windows of my 60 bus. There is a lot of pitting on the lower section of the sill and on the top of the bus by the drip rail. What do you guys use to fill these pits in?

Thanks,
Jacques

I will wire wheel all of the remaining surface rust from these pits and fill the majority of them with Duraglas.....it is a waterproof, fiberglass based filler that works great...........it is described in this thread.
Bus R Us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Where can one find Duraglass? Reply with quote

Hi, cruised all the auto parts stores in town. No one has heard of duraglass. Everyone's got plenty of bondo though.

I was originally planning on using Por 15 on the window frames. I'm new at this.

You said filler needs to be applied on bare metal.

Por 15 needs to be appplied directly on rust.

What should I do first?

Where can I get duraglass?

Thanks,
Jacques
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: