Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How did everyone get into vw's ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakob.T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad always tells stories about his teen years, stealing VW engines from under people's cars in the 70's. Mom had a 67. Always peaked my interest so I bought one!
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car (in 1970) was a '61 Falcon..not really cool but at the gas station where I bought gas (27 cents a gallon) was a '66 sedan for sale for $600-and it looked really cool. I just had to have it. Since I was working, I didn't have to beg my parents for money-put down my deposit, got plates and came back to pick it up. Mind you-I never drove it (didn't know how to drive a stick and was too embarrassed to admit it...stupid kid I was). The gas station owner gave me a quick lesion and off I went..stalling all the way home. Had a blast in my bug-did all the nasty things an 18 year does (sex, drugs and drinkin'). Drove it for six years until a hot Firebird caught my eye-sold the bug and bought the bird. After I got married bought a ghia with rusted out floor boards and drove it until the PO's inspection sticker expired and dumped it. Always had the desire to buy one-now I'm retired and have two-one to drive and one to restore-actually I drive both and restore both doing almost everything myself-making all the usual mistakes but reading TheSamba everyday. My wife doesn't understand this passion of mine...I don't care-keeps us apart-marriages last longer that way. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I saw a Vintage Ad. The one that said "got a lot to carry? Get a box!" It just made sense to me. Ever since i did a little research I've been hooked! I got my Bus two weeks ago and my 17th Birthday is in a month!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Buggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was around 16 or 17 I think still living with my folks. Maybe a little younger I'm not sure but I was still in high-school. I was flipping through the pennysaver (local classified rag) and came across an ad to the effect of "1965 beetle, restored, runs and drives $700". I look over at my dad and said "Dad, is there any way I could borrow $700?" I had always liked classic cars and that was the first old car that was even in the theoretical realm of financial possibility for me or my family.

So the conversation ensued about what it was for and if I was serious and all. We ended up riding over to check the car out and of course neither my dad or I knew what to really look for. We got it through inspection after putting another few hundred into it. It did in fact run and drive and we didn't know it had rusted out heater channels and several other issues. I didn't know very much at all about cars. We weren't really a car family and my dad was pretty clueless in that regard too.

Anyway a few weeks later I was dicking around with it in the side-yard. I was actually re-painting the dash-board with that old rustoleum granite/stone fleck pain because I thought it would look cool Embarassed and this woman goes by being walked by a big ass wolf hybrid. She's like "Hey, you know my husband works on those cars all the time and races them and stuff. We're right around the corner about 10 houses or so down." And I'm thinking well, good for you crazy lady you can't have mine! I didn't realize at that point that this was like an offer to swing by you know, I was a kid and was (and frankly still kind of am) clueless.

Well, a few weeks later the car stopped wanting to go. It would run okay but I couldn't get it into gear and stuff and I didn't know how to revive whatever little elves made that part work. So after some crawling around and cussing trying to figure it out, I remembered the dog and her lady and decide it can't hurt to walk over there and see what they knew. So I did that.

Wow, the dude was out in his garage and he had an awesome rag-top split that had been chopped and set up for racing. A thoroughbred that made my 65 look sort of like Mater to it's lightning McQueen! I knew bugs were cool but DAMN, that car wasn't cool it was freaking HOT! There were pobably a few other things around too but I don't remember.

Anyways he was a cool guy and figured out my clutch cable had probably broke and walked me through how to drive it a few blocks over to his place. Once I got it there he had a spare clutch cable that he helped me replace the broken one with while we shot the shit and he got me going again. He said I could come around any time and hang out and maybe play "gopher" shop assistant for him in return for the clutch cable help.

From that point on pretty much every day after school and all weekend (when I wasn't slinging roast beef at the local Roy Roger's) I was over at their place! I would help him do stuff to the race-car or the hundred other side-projects that would roll in that he'd do for extra cash and of course we'd work my car into the queue to keep it alive too. We'd always head to the shows here on the East coast and I'd sort of pit crew for him during the races.

I learned a ton from him and frankly still do learn stuff from him and call when I'm stumped, though that happens less often now. It was the start of a great friendship as well as my main hobby. Life has changed a lot for both of us over the last 20 years or so but we're still good friends and our families get together as often as we can.

My dad told me a few years ago that he considered getting that first 65 bug and getting it on the road for me about the best grand he ever spend on any of his three kids. He couldn't have known all it would lead to in advance of course, but he was happy that it had all lead to a lifetime friendship and such a great hobby for me. I couldn't agree more!

Anyways sorry to be so long winded but that's the storry of how I got into dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I told this story here before? In 1979 my best buddy decided he needed a car to drive to high school with. He looked in the classifieds and saw a car for $80. We went and saw it, which it turned out to be a 1959 (built Sept 5Cool Reseda green Canadian custom with cloth interior. (I learned all this later). Until this VW I was not the least interested in cars. At all. Something happened, to this day I don't know what. We drove that car all summer and through a Canadian winter. No heat whatever, big holes in the exhaust, intermittent electrical system, no way to latch the hood, rear bumper not actually bolted to the car - just kinda resting there. Holy crap, I loved that car! Sometime in the spring it dropped exhaust valve #3 and got parked. We took apart the engine and found the problem. He lost interest in it but I always wanted to fix it and put it back on the road. Finally we found a 40 Hp, 1200 cc piston and an exhaust valve. He was not the most organized person and the engine got scattered all over his yard, garage and parents basement. They had a Newfoundland dog at the time who like engine parts apparently and would carry them around in his mouth. Needless to say, it was a job to round up all those parts. Eventually we did and with the help of John Muir we got it back together. We did something wrong tho and it made a loud banging noise so we pulled the engine and trans and scrapped the car. I was hooked, I mean I got it bad. Since then I have specialized in 1959 Canadian customs having owned a half dozen or so over the years. Currently I am driving a sunroof car and restoring a reseda green car. Holy crap, I love these cars!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407138&highlight=

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: I rebuilt that engine in 1999 and it has been in 5 cars since. Today it is in my sunroof car and purring along nicely thank you.

Don
tmb077
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, great thread, lots of good stories in here!

I've been around VW's since birth. Dad helped a guy who used to race mini-stocks in beetle, was even a World Champ back in like 79 or 80. Dad eventually built a Bradley GT that was a show car, taking awards at motorama-style shows in the early 80's. Skip a few years and Dad starts racing Formula V across the upper midwest in SCCA regional and national events. My brother eventually starts working/apprenticing for the guy dad used to help with the ministock at his import shop, and I'm pretty much the one absorbing everything I'm witnessing like a huge sponge.

My brother eventually brought home a 73 super for a first car project at the age of 14 I think(I would have been 11). Fast forward another couple years to my ripe age of 13. My brother and his friend had been out hunting for a project for his buddy and came across a 73 standard that his buddy bought and let sit for about a year with minimal progress. They eventually work out a deal where his buddy buys his super and somewhere in the mix my brother ends up with the standard project. My brother had grander plans and bought a 57 oval drag car to start racing. By this time dad has stopped racing the F-V and I'm at a point where I know I want a bug. My brother knew it too, and gifted me the 73 standard for my 14th birthday. Dad later picks up a 59 Ghia project at the Milan bug-out to start tinkering with.

I spend the next couple years building a typical 90's bug. Scallop paint job, matching painted wheels and bumpers, dechromed, you know the routine. It was a pretty slick ride for a 17yr old kid in 1994 when I finally put it on the road. Time comes and goes for a couple years in the bug going to shows and drag races, netting a couple show trophies here and there. Then, I fall into the trap of going to shows and realizing none of the 'hot rod' guys are going to respect my bug, so I sold it and spent a few years building minitrucks.

The trucks come and go when I finally realize I'm building my vehicles for the approval of others instead of myself. I got married, we bought a house with an oversized 2 car garage, and I buy my bug back with grand plans of a full-scale mild custom restoration. About this time the MKIV Jettas are new on the street. I wanted one, BAD. My wife had a new beetle after all, and I knew the platform already. I get knee-deep in the bug. Split the body and pan, new pan halves, narrowed beam with drop spindles and disc brakes, new urethane anywhere it could go, i even cut the shock towers off the trailing arms and flipped them side for side to eliminate negative camber out back. New heater channels, and pretty much the entire lower 6 inches of the body got replaced.

Then it happened. I got 'the news'. Our daughter was on her way. The progress halted as I was now in full new-dad house prep mode. The fire to get it done faded, and I sold it. Again.

That was nearly 9 years ago. I finally got my jetta a couple years ago. It's an used 03 5spd with a 2.slo. I put some Eibach coils on it, and some decent 17" wheels and an exhaust. It's a nice little kid hauler. The wife still has her new beetle, too. I seem to spend a bit of time on it lately though, lol. My brother recently bought a 56 oval out of a barn and we've been collaborating on that a bit, and it's making me want my own project real bad. Dad lost interest in the 59 ghia, and it's still in my brother's shop awaiting some attention...
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

When I was a kid 1968ish I was 17, I bought a 1959 bug from my moms boy friend for $450 it was dark blue with 68 high back seats and adapters for american wheels, I drove it for 2-3 years. I have had over 12 vw since. got the (BUG)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

first ve was through the passenger door, second one was too. third....probably the same and the 4th through the dr door. Wink funny thing a kid I went to highschool had the 3rd one.... a month ago as I was going through some vw parts I came across a bug door with stripes on it....Ive had this door for 12 years......it dawned on me it was from his car back in 78 in highschool. how the hell did that happen. kinda like running into your ex wife at gatlenburg tenn Shocked wtf???dam! bad omen right there.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I got into VW's by accident. In 1970 I had a new Ford Falcon 2 dr 302 V8 and a Honda 450 scrambler motor cycle.

I was dating this not known at the time Cheating user girlfriend.

She and her mother decide to fly to Fort Lauderdale FL and she wants me to come I decided to drive there.

On the way back there was an ice storm in Tenn and I was heading back to Chicago . 3 am I hit some black ice at 80 MPH and had no control hit the side of a mountain and was knocked out . Car started and was really destroyed . Hit Indiana was so cold the car quit due to water icing in the gas.

The car was determined totaled and towed away . I sold my motor cycle to a friend at work and walked to this Chevy dealer 1/2 mile away with $650 cash .

I found this 66 red beetle and they wanted tax and all I put the $650 on his desk and said this is what I can pay and drove off in the bug.

I never cared about VW's before this and had to do brakes and other things through the years and I steeped on the left running board and it snapped off .

All in all I had good times with it driving and it never gave me many problems . Had the clutch cable suddenly partly snap so I pulled into a gas station and bought 2 battery replacement clamps to clamp the cable back together so I could shift gears .
Kerry67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

Always liked them. Had a couple bugs 30 years ago in high school. After I got married, I wanted another but ended up doing Muscle Cars, and then Hot Rods & Customs for 20 years. Well, a month ago jumped back in with my first Ghia. Really digging it!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

Didn't have any money.. no real job at 9 years old, couldn't afford the Olds 442 I wanted.... my parents, knew I had a reckless tendency, but loved anything mechanical... they agreed to loan me the $100 for a clapped out 64 VW Beetle..

Learned, Resurrected, Revised, Improvised, Adapted and Overcame.. (insert Six Million Dollar Man Theme here) and eventually had a VW Beetle that would smoke a Mustang between traffic lights... Very Happy
Thanks Mom and Pop.. for the loan that's payed back well over 10 fold now.. Wink
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

During one spring break in college I stopped by home for a visit. When I got out of the car my dad met me in the driveway. There was a rusty piece of crap sitting there.

Dad said "here's your new car"

Me, "uh, it ain't exactly new, dad"

Dad, "well, it's yours"

It was a '76 Beetle. I soon fell in love with it. Drove it through the college years.

Coincidentally, on that trip home and picking up that Beetle, a friend was traveling with me, a German exchange student.

My dad and I had great times with that car and still laugh about it...

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I had always been a GM muscle car guy all thru my teens until about 1975. A guy I worked with was into VWs he had a 67 sunroof beetle, that I thought was pretty cool. He showed me a Bug Pack catalog one day at lunch...........I have been a VW freak since.
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

I think it was a virus or something. Mid-late sixties - I was pretty good at pencil drawing, I remember drawing two kinds of cars all the time, my grandpa's welding truck, and VW Beetles . Friends would draw Ed Roth style American hot rods, I'd draw VW Beetles. I liked the styling, and the sound. Built Beetle model kits. My Uncle Don introduced my brother and I to the "Slug-Bug" game, so we were always energetically on the look-out for Beetles (still am, much to my wife's and grandkid's chagrin). Our Uncle John had a blue & white multi-window VW bus (don't know exact model or year) for a number of years that he would haul a horde of us cousins around in when we visited IL in the summers. Odd that I've never cared for the "Love Bug" movies. Our "Step-grandpa" had a beige oval window Beetle that wouldn't quit. Girlfriend in high school drove a new Mexican Beetle (lived on the border, she was from Mexico, car was made in Mexico, sold in Mexico). Stationed in Germany while in the Army and my running buddy had a square-back that we toured Europe in. Got married, wife said she didn't care for Beetles, but liked my old-car penchant so we dabbled in various old American cars, but always gravitated to the VW section at car shows. When gas prices skyrocketed a few years ago my pick-up was eating my lunch commuting, so we bought a 2013 Beetle. Had to sell that to get a handicap van for our granddaughter. Fast forward not to far to a couple months ago, wanted something other than the pick-up to poke around town and drive to work. Saw a '70 Beetle just down the road from work, showed it to the wife, she (not me) said lets make an offer, haggled a tad, and now its ours. Puttering with it to remedy issues from not being driven much over the past 5 years and am kicking myself for not getting a classic Beetle a long time ago. After all that, I still can't put my finger on it...
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

Very Happy My adventure started in 1965- I was in HS working after school cleaning an architects office and mentioned I was going to get a car- next day one of those guys had a pristine 1952 ford convertible parked outside with a new top- and $125. so- all excited- I went home and told my dad --- he said he already had a car for me- -- it was a 54 3roll beetle- Never looked back- first bus was in Canberra where I got 2 for $300. Then back here I had a string of splits and bays.

Eventually went to work for VW in Grants Pass been playing with them ever since.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

my older brothers all had VW's, but I was into American muscle first car being a Nova with a vette engine, later had some life troubles at age 20 sold the nova and bought my first VW a '68 Beetle with factory sunroof...love the unique drive and mostly there is just something about the smell inside an air-cooled just you can't replicate... call me crazy but I sometimes like the faint smell of skunk on the open road...

I moved on to muscle cars for many years later and a few bugs in between, but there is just something about the German fever I just can't shake got back into them around 2000 when I bought my Notchback, had many since but have been without for over 9yrs now and here I am, empty inside Surprised
jtiedemann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

When I was about 16, I asked my dad if we could build a project car to learn mechanics and because it sounded fun. that was about 7 years ago, since then we have completely rebuilt the car into a 1904cc powered german look beetle that I now drive as much as possible.
Sketch-Bat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

My folks were an air-cooled family, long before I was born. During my earliest years, my dad had a Vanagon and a '66 bug. He likes to recall stories of lulling me to sleep, as a baby, by putting me in the beetle and driving around the block. I guess that explains why I love the unmistakable sound of an air-cooled boxer engine. As far as my conscious, memories, I was hooked on the Herbie movies. My mom, on the other hand, often recalls memories of me sitting on the couch, humming the Herbie theme until someone would pop in the VHS, then upon completion of the film, I'd start up humming the theme, again. Laughing
Volkswagen indoctrination via "The Love Bug" seems to be a pretty common theme, I guess the marketing team did their job, well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How did everyone get into vw's ? Reply with quote

If you grew up in the 60s you were exposed to VWs. My neighbor bought a brand new 62 bug and I took a liking to it. Back then people left keys in cars and there were no anti theft devices. I wandered over to the car which was left in gear and hit the key, didn't start but did move across the yard. I was stopped before I could get away. I was about three years old at the time.

Fast forward to 1972 my older brother had a 59 bug. He let me drive it and I was hooked. My dad bought an almost new 74 bug and when the folks were asleep I'd take it out and through the woods. I racked up lots of miles on that car and he gave it to me in 1977. By then it had body damage pretty much everywhere and no reverse gear, sold it for 1400 and within 30 minutes bought a pristine 73 bug same color for exactly 100 dollars less.

Drove it out to California and sold it at the Vw dealer in Long Beach, maybe it's there now. Living in Southern California in the late 70s early 80s cemented my appreciation for all things VW. Through the years worked at two different VW shops and built engines on the side. Have bought,sold and traded more cars than I can count. It's been a good ride but I'm looking at winding it up within the next 10 years. Currently have the following Vw's 54 bug,55 bug,63 bug,65 double cab truck, 67 bug and 74 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: