Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Lift Sources
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Body Lift Sources Reply with quote

I have seen some forum discussions on Thing Body lifts. However, I do not see any advertisements on web sites or magazines. What sources are out there?

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a company that sells Thing body lifts. It is called Up Yer Bug. I will try to find contact info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck getting a hold of Up Yer Bug. I found my lift kit last week at an off road shop in Corona CA. I cannot find my reciept right now but I will dig it up if you want. It is the "Old" Up Yer Bug one with Boxed beams. I paid $400 without the bolts, spacers or steering spacer. They have 3 left. otherwise. McKenzies in Fullerton can order you a new one with all of the bolts, spacers and steering spacer for $500. Good Luck. It is easy to install.

Regards,
Saddlesore
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just rectangular tubing and a bunch of bolts?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173098&highlight=body+lift
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Thing it is not all tubing. There are 3 cast aluminum pieces for the front curved area. The Thing pan is shaped different, so to make all the curves with rect. tubing would be difficult to say the least.

I'd like to know the shop in Corona, CA that had Thing body lifts in stock. I never knew there was a shop in Corona that is trying to cater to Things. Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattt wrote:
I'd like to know the shop in Corona, CA that had Thing body lifts in stock. I never knew there was a shop in Corona that is trying to cater to Things. Thanks in advance.

Same here, Corona is only 30 miles away. I even work there from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this info in my Thing files in a jpg. file of an ad I saw somewhere along the line in the last couple of years.
I have no idea if the data is current or not, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Up Yer Bug
Andy Felix
1069 So. Santa Fe
Vista, CA 92083
760-726-0130
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Thing Body Lift Reply with quote

Appreciate all the info so far. I have thought about fabricating one. Deciding whether worth the effort. Years ago I installed several body lifts on 4x4 trucks. A little different since that was only poly? blocks at all mount points.

Still have some time. I pulled the body the other week and cut out the passenger pan last week. About ready to be welded back inplace and then on to the left side. Still time to figure out body lift.

I am considering having the spindles cut and raised by Blind Chicken Racing. I have seen their name mentioned a few times and appears they do nice work. From there would be to re-index the rear a notch or two.

Looking for some clearance for tires and an offroad look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shop in Corona I beleve is call Karco. 909 area code. They do not specilize in Thing they are a full blown off road shop that happens to have a few lift kits. They have all the other off road stuff as well. I tried the number posted for Up yer Bug a while ago and got no response. As for "yust a couple of beams and bolts" Not even close. There are 3 aluminum peices and and a curved rear piece. Good lick making one. Attached is a link of one I saw long ago. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105910&highlight=body+lift
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - since the pan of a Thing is the same as a Karmann Ghia, you may want to explore those sources as well.

Mark
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:
The shop in Corona I beleve is call Karco. 909 area code. They do not specilize in Thing they are a full blown off road shop that happens to have a few lift kits. They have all the other off road stuff as well. I tried the number posted for Up yer Bug a while ago and got no response. As for "yust a couple of beams and bolts" Not even close. There are 3 aluminum peices and and a curved rear piece. Good lick making one. Attached is a link of one I saw long ago. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105910&highlight=body+lift

The link in your post confirms that to build your own, it's just a bunch of "beams and bolts".
Your link says the ones that you buy are cheap thin crap.
There was even a guy that bought one and wished he hadn't.

In this link there is a better description of why you can't just use the same size metal on the front tunnel area that you would on the sides.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173098&highlight=body+lift
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:

Kartek......Holy Cow!! That is amazing to me that Kartek had Thing body lifts in stock. They must have been around for a long time. Kartek has been veering away from the VW end of off road for a long time now as desert racing in general goes the same direction. Sure, most off road racing was VW based in the past, but no longer. I wonder how long they have had those body lifts???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: