Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who influenced your VW/car love?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had an old vw bug in my back yard when I was a kid. We always used to play like we were driving it and stuff when I was real little. When I was about 12 or 13 I had to go on a long road trip and my mother told me to go pick out a magazine or something to read on the way. I remember picking up a Hot Vw's magazine for some reason. Been hooked on Vw's ever since.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Y-so-square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My love for VW achally began with audis my first car was 1987 audi 90 and I would go to car shows and see all the old school dub's and fell in love with the little things.Also my moms first car was a 69 Beetle std and parents have owned a couple of rabbits.
atbdrummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cousins influenced me. They had numerous Bugs and drove me around in them all the time. They were always tinkering with them to make 'em faster. It's been my dream to have a Bug since I was 5 years old. I'm 23 now and finally achieved my dream!

Go Seattle Sounders!!!
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Buggy Very Happy

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
bugginmiami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old neighbor that has since passed away. He was a longtime vw and later porsche tech and all around good guy. Gave me his daily driver beetle after owning it for 20 years. Not much good or left on it, but i tinkered with it and later bought one that we did get going. Rip Dave!

johnnypan wrote:
Never mess with a cat who smiles for his mug shot..he gives way less of a fuck than you do..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frankinbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother his first car was a 68type1 i rember we bought a stock rebuild kit and found out the motor was an burg ( after we pulled it of course)( it sat for two years before we finally put another back in it when that bug had the burg in it we could roll 90mph all day long now it has a 1600dp
Lahti35
Samba Member

Location: Always the wrong side of the drawbridge in Bay City, MI.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a buddy who's brother restored an early 60's beetle, he used to keep it at his parents house. My bud and I would hop in when he wasn't around and take it all in. It was a beautiful ride, hell I thought it was bitchin' back then at 13.

Fast forward to now, 18 years later. I'm driving down the highway to work in the am and I pass a late 60's model. The next day, same bug same time. 4 Days later I pass a sweet stock early 60's bug on the same highway and a few days after that i take the dog for a walk down a new street and theres a super beetle camping out in the weeds behind a garage.

I took the hint...been searching for a mid-early 60's one for 3 weeks now, its out there somewhere!
Frankinbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything goes right im be getting an 1967 for 900$
enjoyther1de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grew up goin to preschool in a yellow baja!! but the person who got me into them to the point where i just bought a 70 std to work on and baja, would be mr. hamburegerbrad. Twisted Evil LOVE YA BRADLEY!! PHUCKANCER!
Fahrfrumspeiden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: It's become an addiction. Reply with quote

Some of my earliest memories are riding around in my Dads 61 23 window red/white deluxe. Learning to drive my Moms 58 bug at 9 years old. Looking at a brand new blue/ white deluxe 67 11 window that the neighbor bought. They have been in and out of my life ever since, with many bugs and buses owned over the years. It's kind of like having a pickup, once you own one you feel kind of strange without one even when you don't really need one.
Fahrfrumspeiden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HermanSwanson wrote:
This hot chick had one in high school (beetle), and she talked about how cool busses were.
I couldn't afford a splitty at the time, so i bought a bay window (had to sell and Edsel for it).
I thought I was so cool having this nice, shiny orange bus. She said it was boring because she liked gray or tan busses. I shit you not- WIERD! Then next thing I know, she had this crappy faded- paint gray splittie than ran like garbage, but was pretty cool.
I now have a fond place in my heart for not only all VWs, but for ugly tan or gray 9or whatever) busses, because they remind me of "that girl" from long ago... Boo hoo!
This reminds me of a story about a girl that worked at the Wendy's that I frequented while in high school... I had a 70 bug, she had a perfect red 66.. went in there one day with my then girlfriend, and she asked if the girl in the window was a girlfriend... I said "no, but she has the nicest bug I've ever seen!" My girlfriend thought I had said, "butt"!! THAT was an awkward half hour explaining myself out of that one.!
Todd19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was 11 my older brother needed a car, he bought an old 1975 VW Beetle, and I fell in love with it, I loved it more than he did, I probably spent more time tinkering here and there on it then he did. But he got fed up with it a sold it, but by that time I had been bitten by the bug.
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look back in pictures from when i was little and see bugs. I never noticed them at the time. My dad worked going to service stations all the time and I would go sometimes and they must have been there , but again, never noticed them. I lived in southern california for 4 years, tustin, orange costa mesa, newport beah , laguna etc... never noticed them there (late 80s early 90s). all i ever noticed there was a cabrio in laguna one night at a yogurt shop (i now have a cabrio).

I went to an all make show with my son who must have been around 3 or 4. about ten years ago. There was a VW section and i didnt know anything about them but my son was fascinated. He was amazed at the cars with 'no engine'. Then one guy says to him to come around and look in the trunk. He couldn't believe the engine was in the trunk! so we had to go back and look at all the other VWs again so we could look in the back. He was really taken by them. And i got to thinking it would be something that would be fun for us to do together. So i started looking online, and though i wasnt really interested in a bug I did find dune buggys. We bought one off ebay, took the 6 hour trip to pick it up and that's how it started.

Since that time I've bought a 63 ragtop which we have done a lot of work on including changing out the engine with friends. I drove that daily for a couple of years. I traded that for the 70 transporter we now have. But the kids all love the buggy and keep asking when we are going to get it back on the road again. (we broke it in the pine barrens offroading a few years ago)

We have grown apart now that hes a teen and things are a mess with things that life throws at you right now, but i am hoping to straighten some things out soon, get that buggy back on the front burner and do some work on it together and maybe become close again.
jmartin7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For me it was this exact car. I was born in the early 90s and by that time acvws were not very popular in my area. This was my first and only experience with early Beetles for many years. In fact it was its unusual nature among all of the normal cars which drew me to it. It was owned by a local guy until 2012 when I bought. I still can't believe that I get to own the exact dream car from my childhood.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up in the suburbs of San Fransisco, I saw a ton of bugs and buses but never really cared for them. My parents own a Ruby Red 64 bug that was pretty cool but still no joy at that time. Finally in 1975 or 76 a guy at work shows me a BugPack catalog for VW Hi-Po parts and Iam hooked, bought a 66 bug that was stuck in 4th gear for 400 dollars and havent looked back since. Turned that one into a wanabe Cal-Look and have had either a bug or bus most of the time since then. Very Happy
Stuart Maingot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At age 15, i happened upon a copy of HOT VW'S. The cover article was on turbocharging vw engines, i got interested. Also there were articles and pictures of typ 3's and ghias. Never knew those models existed. Just a block from my college was 66 ghia parked in the street that i recognized. The rest is history after 35 years . Have owned over the years a typ 3 notch, 71 single cab, 66 ghia, 411 fastback, 66 beetle and presently have a 66 split panel and 69 beetle. My favourite is my 66 split panel which is my present daily driver.
There are still some vw's around on the island but much have "returned to the earth" so to speak. I have been able to aquire a fair amount of original parts over the years that keeps me going. Many typ 2's here have been retrofitted with japanese engines and butchered for radiator mods due to the cost of aircooled parts.
I'll be keeping my vehicles original for years to come.
rabbitmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father started working at VW in 1960 and continued until 2009, so I had been around VWs all my life.
On New Years Eve 1987, my dad brought home a copy of Hot VWs and that's when things really changed for me.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interest in cars started when I first saw a hot rod that my sisters boyfriend drove. I was about 12 or so, couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. My interest drifted to foreign sports cars and when it came time to be somewhat practical the Doyle, Dane etc. great VW ads sold me. I bought a new 67 VW at a time my friends were all buying muscle cars. Been interested in them since.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had several Beetles when I was growing up and my older brother always had at least one off road Bug on the go. By the time I was in my teens he was pretty much out of the VW scene but had left a half a dozen of his old dune buggies sitting out back. We hauled out his old '68 Baja and got it up and running and I was hooked. Within a year I had my first Beetle, a '74 which I still have today.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
muddbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my love for the bug started when I was 4 or 5 i was at a school bustop and got into a shoving match with another kid he knock me down and my head got impailed by a soupcon lid,my godmother happened to see it and grabbed me up put me in the backseat and take off saying dont worry gypsy wil take care of this(gypsy was cars name) any way 67 beetle come to find out she took a shortcut through the woods on a hicking trail to get me to the hospital !,it may have saved my life because it was strong and small !
i now have a 67 baja in my driveway i am restoring ,also i love the big butt look,lmao
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: