Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who influenced your VW/car love?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: VW/Love Car Reply with quote

I grew up on Chevy's and Oldsmobiles in the 1950's. Married in '63 and found we needed an extra car in 1970. I bought my first used bug on advice from a friend. Best advice I ever got. We've owned a number of cars since 1970, but we've always had at least one beetle. The car itself sold me. You can't buy this type of engineering and history in any other car-period.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really drove or rode in a beetle untill I got my first one. What got me started was a "good deal" Rolling Eyes and way too much bored time looking around on the internet, once I saw how awesome and tough and unique (compared to other cars, not numbers i know they made millions) they are. So I got one. (well two actually Laughing ) and as many of you had probably happen, that quickly multiplys lol at one point I had 4 but the rust/dune buggy thing went away quickly after I ripped the motor off. Also, I watched herbie when younger of course Laughing
vdublvr3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 97 I totaled my 86 civic, then my uncle richard helped me out and gave me a 73 blue baja in great running condition and have loved bugs ever since.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, first post there /\ and welcome! nice avatar too Laughing .
vdublvr3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
hehe, first post there /\ and welcome! nice avatar too Laughing .

Thanks leviman, I've been looking at the samba for awhile. I finally got another bug a 62 beetle so you will see me on alot. The vw is supposed to beat couldnt get it to work. Very Happy
Hayden Clark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a mix between my parents, grandparents, and a family friend.
When i was little i always heard stories of my mom, aunt, and uncle always traveling with my grandparents and camping in their bus.
My mom then had a red ghia before i was born and my dad had a bunch of porsche's.
whenever we went riding in the desert, our friends and my dad had crazy baja's and had thier thing offroad, so that got me interested.
Our friend also works as a mechanic and he does all vw stuff so whenever I'm around theres always something going on.

so i grew up with them all around me, but the love for them cuts off when the super beetle came out :/
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayden Clark wrote:
but the love for them cuts off when the super beetle came out :/

Hater!!! Laughing I can see where people get this idea, I had it too. Untill I got one, now every day I look at it I'd rather have a super especially over a 67+ standard (I think the upright headlights go better with the rolled under front apron rather than the road squeegee that the standards have). On the other hand, every acvw person wants a split window, so I would take one of those. Laughing
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was brought home from the hospital at birth in a dark blue '67 beetle. Had it in the family untill I was about 6. My parents had owned a few beetles before then, so I was around them all the time.

At age 10, I bought my neighbor's '66 13 Window for $50 (Xmas money, 1986). He thought the gearbox was shot, but we pushed it next door and my dad discovered there was just a bolt missing from the shift linkage. For me, it's just been owning early VWs since then! My dad bought a '67 21 Window back in 1987 and still drives it to this day (while he restores his 1969 Lotus Europa). Very Happy

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KEROUACTIVIST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: 1st vw Reply with quote

My Granfather gave My Mom his 68 Bug when He heard She was hitchhiking while @ college circa 1972.That car stayed on the road till early 80's--I have fond memories of it as a lil guy--in fact I think they drove Me home from the hospital in it after my birth in 1975. My Dad and I redid a 71 Super in the mid 80's and that actually got My brother (who restores for a living) started on Bugs and Busses. Today some 20+ years later--I am starting to slowly redo that lil 68 from My childhood-- its been sitting in My Grandparents yard the whole time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schnaq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad has owned a VW shop in Arizona for about 33 years now and I was always around them when I was a kid. Honestly, I never really wanted a VW until I was about 14 and he bought me my first car, a beat up 67 Squareback with a factory sunroof for $200. For the next two years, after school I slowly built it up, built a 1641 for it, lowered it 2 splines and put some Ronal wheels on it. That thing would ride as smooth as a baby's butt down the freeway at 70 mph. As soon as I graduated high school I told him I wanted him to teach me everything he knew about VW's and he hired me. Over time I became his main engine builder and after being a Bug mechanic for 13 years, I got a job with the government and moved on to bigger and better things. My dad will forget more about VW's than I will ever know. His wealth of knowledge is amazing and I owe everything I know to him. So in a way I am also thanking him for this gift that, when I was younger and stupider, maybe took for granted a little.
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Dad who always worked on cars and even rebuilt a vw motor for my parent's 74 super....in the living room of course. but as i grew up around v8s i was into Chevys. my father and i never really did much together as he had an alcohol problem , but when we'd work on cars together since i was 9 or so, those memories are still very vivid. he always jumped into it and i was always afraid to mess up. till this day, last time he was here over a year ago we rebuilt my first aircooled for my 66 bus. it was wierd, like i was a kid again and he was just going at it and many times i just watched and handed him tools and drinks.
many times My family and i would have starved if not for my mechanical ability and knowledge.... thanks dad. my son is three and wants to learn so bad as hes very advanced in thinking and beleives he has no limits. but i would hate myself if he got really hurt as he has already felt the pinch from pliers when he was playing with some. and he wont just watch, he wants to actually do something. once he put the axle nut on my bus and was 2 and i did not even tell him where it went!!
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Blew up my sisters tranny... Reply with quote

Here's how my passion for VW's started. One day I convinced my trusting sister to let me drive her 68' bug to the local 7-11. I was only 15 at the time. I don't even think I had my permit yet. Nonetheless, I set off with a friend for the short drive. On our return trip, I decided it would be a fun to speed shift the car. It was alot of fun at first. I'm sure you could all imagine what happened next. CLUNK...CLUNK...Hey it won't go into gear? Ooops. Anyhow, my friend and I pushed the car home. My sister was pissed to say the least. She let me know in a calm be firm voice that she needed to be in L.A. by the next afternoon. She was a flight attendant. Calling in sick was a no..no.. I then proceeded to pull the motor & tranny. I had no experience working on VW's. Although, I was and always have been very mechanically inclined. I picked up a used tranny and proceeded to put it in the car as well as the motor. I had the car back in running order by noon the next day. Needless to say, my sister made it to work on time. All ended well and my passion began. One year later, I had my own. Since then, I have owned many V-dubs, busted many knuckles, used alot of slang, and have had numerous hours of enjoyment.

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
zuhaelter_82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grew up in the back of my grandfathers type 34 Ghia... The rest is history
B5 V6 GLS
B7 TDI Passat SE
Goes-Slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automotive industry= My kick-ass, bare-knuckle Father

into VW= had an automotive instructor when i was in high school, he drove a Walkthrough to work every day. that thing made it rain or shine, never failed.... Then i saw how small the engines were and how much reliability the produced.. I've been hooked on VWs ever since.
letthemusicflow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I tried to contact the owners and ask them to sell it to me but I couldn't get a hold of them. Looking back, I'm glad, cause this thing is obviously a rust bucket. It's been sitting in the weather for as long as I can remember. I used to drive by it all the time on the way to a friend's house, and I always wanted to buy it and fix it up. I think it's a '69, the year I really want to eventually get, and do a more full restoration than the one I'm doing now.

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
j8bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE 80s. Everyone in L.A. had one...
167luckycharm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: My dad's uncle Reply with quote

is the fellow that got my brothers and I into the VW hobby. He sold us a '61 beetle in almost stock form during the summer of '77. The air filter was one of those chrome 'peanut can' jobbies with the 3-bar wingnut on the top. I passed my driver's test with it. Years later, my younger brother did the Cal-look treatment to it, and I have the pictures to prove it. At one point, we had 4 beetles in our family, all parked in the front yard. A '58, a '64, a '66, and the '61 from Uncle Gabriel. I just learned this afternoon, when my dad called me to let me know, that Uncle Gabriel (my dad's uncle actually) passed away last night at age 94.
Here's a toast to him, I'm on my second beer right now, for showing us how to adjust the valves and timing, and letting me paint my car in his garage.
Aloha!
John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had several VWs in the family throughout the years; it helped that I lived in La Mirada and we had two Ghias in the driveway, a 66 type 1 and a 65 type 3. Living in So-Cal was the major influence on me, you just couldn't help it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife, dog, and I all spent the night in a Subaru wagon after drinking at a Halloween party. Despite being drunk, it was miserable night with a Lab who wouldn't sit still and really no privacy. When morning finally came around, I saw across the street some fellow party-goers emege from their '78 Westy looking all refreshed and happy. It was at that moment, I knew I had to have one.
williamblanda
Don't Disgrace The Eddy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandfather.

Here he is putting a bicycle in his '57 standard.

Same barn, different bus.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: