Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who influenced your VW/car love?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parent's. I grew up with Dad's 71 super. When it finally spit number three spark plug out of the block, he parked it on the hill and it was game on for me. I learned how to drive stick driving it up and down the driveway.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my father had a 66 notch back in the day.
i had no clue what it was so i looked it up on the internet and fell in love ha went out and picked up a 69 type 3 sback
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRiviera wrote:
I was brought home from the hospital at birth in a dark blue '67 beetle. Had it in the family untill I was about 6. My parents had owned a few beetles before then, so I was around them all the time.

At age 10, I bought my neighbor's '66 13 Window for $50 (Xmas money, 1986). He thought the gearbox was shot, but we pushed it next door and my dad discovered there was just a bolt missing from the shift linkage. For me, it's just been owning early VWs since then! My dad bought a '67 21 Window back in 1987 and still drives it to this day (while he restores his 1969 Lotus Europa). Very Happy

i like this story alot Very Happy
way cool man haha
1*4*3*2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was a little kid my neighbor had a green camper, i thought it was the coolest thing ever, because well it looked awesome. And their was this VW repair shop around our house and every time we would drive by i would stair as long as i could at all of the cool VW's.So Im glad everyone here enjoys these vehicles as much as i do. VW Logo for life
jpinut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: my love started... Reply with quote

because of my dad. I still own the 1968 vw bug that my aunt and uncle bought brand new in the summer of 67. Its been in the family since that time, passed on from sibling to grandparent to granchildren etc... Because of this love i wanted to be a mechanic and just work on these great cars. Well when i went to start I didn't have tools, so I took a job selling cars for the summer. That was in February 1999, I'm a sales manager for a car dealership in Utah. Along with my love of cars, I have owned over 20 different cars, all ranging from honda, audi, porsche, bmw, jeep. In my driveway now, porsche cayenne, and a cadillac escalade, but nothing brings me more happiness and excitement than to get home and start up my 68 Bug and go for a drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vincesco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll Start off by saying I really do enjoy the older refined things in life. Sven, the person who began vw's over the skyway 14 years ago (then called buses over the sky way), mentioned at a show that I had an old soul. I'm 21 years old and here is my story.

My last year at Palm Beach Atlantic University I was looking for a nice daily ride for after college. At first I thought I wanted a car within a couple years of the current year and a friend suggested an AWD A4. I looked into them and long story short I bought a B6 1.8T Quatro. I loved it and still do, However My motorcycle which had been my toy fore so long was being sold so I needed a new toy, and as fate should so have it the person that bought it turned out to be a vw bug owner. The first time I saw his 74 my jaw dropped at the thought that something so old could look so clean.

Little by little my intrest in anything german made got more specific to anything Audi/VW. A little time around him and soon I was in.

My dad is 84 years old he just went through a couple heart attacks and a major heart surgery. We are at peace with everything that is in store for us, we are happy, and we live each day with big smiles on our faces. I brought up the idea of getting in to our first father son project. He bit. we would both have to put up half of the money in parts and I would do the work, following his instructions as this would be his 7th vw. Now we needed a car. We decided on a bus and started looking for one here on thesamba.com after about 20 minutes we found one that was located about ten minutes away. I took a short drive to see it and fell in love. we bought it for a litlle over 2K and have been ever so happy working since.
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1956, Iwas 7 years old my Dad had a Texaco gas station and I would fool around there in the afternoons. My Great uncle went to Germany with his whole family and bought 2 1954 Bugs and traveled Europe and Africa in them. He shipped them back to Alabama and showed up at the gas station in 1 of them. I had to go for a ride and look the car over. I was hooked at 7 years of age. After getting a 58 Triump and blew it up in 65, I bought a 58 Ghia (36HP), man I was Mario Andretti in that sporty little thing Twisted Evil . I since have owned a bunch of VW's and worked on them as Mechanic in various shops to include my own. Gotta Love 'Em... Blue Ghia Purple Bus Yellow 181
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents had a 1961 11window bus, it is long gone now but thats what started it, also the simplicity of vw's Very Happy
A2J3M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To us, it was Pompon who influenced us. We meet him during summer holidays 2007 with his very beautiful green 72 baywindow.

When we came back from holidays, we put on sale a car to buy a T4 Eurovan (called California Coach in france) and we bought it in january 2008 !

http://forum.buspirit.org/index.php
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bmweuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man work for VW in 1964 and continued for 18 years. It's in my blood.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can smell it now....it's 1959 and I'm in the cubby hole in my uncle's bug. It's night time and the street lights are going by. The fweem and the vibration play a melody and relax me to near sleep.

My parents had borrowed my uncle's 58 or 59 bug to drive while there car was in the shop. I was about 3 years old. Every time I'm in a VW that has that original smell, I can close my eyes and relive the experience.

To put an effed up ending to the story, my uncle that had the VW lives in Ohio, as did we when I was 3. We of course lost touch over the decades so he had no way of knowing of my passion for VWs. That same beetle has been in his garage for all of these years, until about a year and half ago when he sold it to "some kid down the street". If only I'd known.
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story comes from my own personal love of VWs. My Dad and I disagree greatly about them. He says they are a great car to leave on the road after they break and never turn around. Just keep walking. He was an engineer for McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach and had been involved in the custom car craze in SoCal as long as I can remember. As a kid, I’ve been to all the drag races, car shows, drag boats and even air racing in Reno. He used to take me to custom shops and silk screening shops and he knew everyone seemed like. Which is probably why I’m an artist? But, I love all things mechanical and VWs, to me are interesting engineering. The big ass 50’s cars were too expensive to fix and operate and I started to see that parts were not that easy to get a hold of. My Dad has dumped thousands of bucks into his cars. I brag on how little I put into mine and I rub it in GOOD. Ha! Suck it, Dad. (Although, I do have dibs on one or two of his cars. Inheritance? Laughing )

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
tone007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom had a yellow fastback when I was born, it got wrecked when I wasn't quite 10 yet, but I remember the trips to and from the beach with as many people as the car could hold and overheating in traffic, and the texture of the black vinyl interior.

Our next door neighbor during the same time period had a blue Super Beetle, so I guess I just got used to seeing them.
66ratrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can blame nobody but myself.
I became a vw "fanatic" myself, then spread the virus to my brother and Dad.

"ACWVs are like having a sick dog that has a 100 year life span and needs constant medical attention... that you ride to work daily."
-Brian

\Dancing Red Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my65rhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother Jeff got me into VW's many years ago. I am so glad he did. It's made a huge difference in my life....Kyle
nextorskater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stepfather, he´s a VW mechanic and has a workshop near here... he convinced me to buy a VW as my first car, I friend that was my teacher at this time also helped inviting me to my first vw meeting a few days before I got the money to buy this car...

My real father Used to work in the VW Venezuelan Fabric when I was born, but he died when I was 11, maybe he also would influence me...
**1970 fastback (og pastel white)
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it was the great ads (Doyle, Dane etc.) back in the 60s that persuaded me a vw was the car to own. Also, this was in the late 60s when there were already a fair amount of vws on the road and their status was becoming legendary. My father was not into cars, his car was a 62 falcon and he actually tried to talk me into something other than the vw. My friends were all into detroit muscle and somehow I was attracted to a little vw. I remember one snowny day and a big chrysler couldn't make it up a hill in my neighborhood. I went right around it in my vw and was sure I had made the right decision.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
6Kabrio7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents.. My old man had a 60 panel and worked for Allred Volkswagen in Glendale Calif in the 60's. They also had a 63 beetle, two 67s and a 70. My fathers friend who also worked for Allred Volkswagen as a mechanic had a Savannah Beige 68 baja bug and since I was a teenager I had always wanted one. I never bought a baja bug though I prefer stock beetles nowadays.
A-Step-Towards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 21 now, but when i was 5 or so aroun the mid 90's I found a box of old got VW mags. At 5 i pretty much learned how to read outta those things , I looked at them over and over again for years. I had one that i looked at daily tell i was like 12, i was always looking at VW's for sale trying to get my dad to buy me one, saved up my money for years from b days ,but ended up with a truck . Finally at 20 I got my first vw, then 2 weeks later another and now 4 months later about to get a third. Its been a life long affair.
Dasberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit that this is my first post in the forum but have been a lurker for a while now. I always had a love for old VW's ever since I was a kid and had a physics teacher who had an old oval that I always loved but in my early teenage years was convinced that I needed a muscle car to pick up females. Turned out that I ended up buying a little Pontiac Sunfire GT as my first car. Had to sell that after graduation and picked up an SUV for college, well, one day late in the summer I was looking on Craigslist for a vehicle for my little sister to buy and came upon a 78' VW walkthrough for $500! This of course brought back all of my memories from being a kid and wanting one and the next day I went to go look at it, full rock and roll bed with cedar interior and a fresh engine and tranny.. Bought it on the spot in cash.. Cool Unfortunately being in my first year of college has kept me from putting all the work that I am wanting to put into it but she's mine and I am hooked!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: