Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Heater Problem
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Gas Heater Problem Reply with quote

Hi to all
I have a 73 Thing with the gas heater setup from factory... I love this Thing is all original with original miles... but I haven't used the heater for a while and now I tryed to turn it on and nothing work... I think it can be the gas pump... but I haven't found any information about this kind of heater setup and how to troubleshoot...
Any thought will be appreciated...
Thanks
uray

How can I upload pictures in to this website???
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Life and Death of a Gas Heater
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=80886&sid=54ee978aab0c4bbfcf282af443d81ec3

pics:
Gallery FAQ
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/faq.php?mode=gallery
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two excellent threads from ztnoo. If you do not feel comfortable in repairing it yourself, there is a person that sells parts on this forum, and he also repairs them too. It will cost, but the heater will be both perfect and safe as well. Many folks here have sent their gas heater to him; I have bought a few hard to find parts from him too.
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heaterman
http://members.aol.com/ARKMIRVIS/heaterman.html

Email:
[email protected]

Find all classified ads from Mirvis
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Mirvis

Ark Mirvis
973-398-6363
Hopatcong, New Jersey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfulcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Uray...

Regarding your suspicion of the fuel pump not working, listen for the tell-tale "click-click-click-click" sound when the heater is actuated. If you don't hear that, take the plastic cover off the top of the BN4 and make sure the fuse is not burnt out.. I have encountered a number of heaters with the fuse missing altogether. This assumes the fan and coil are turning & sparking, of course... and that power is going to all parts of the heater.

Also, there is a plastic relay box - on the back side of it (closest to the firewall) is a red switch, which is basically a breaker that trips if anything goes wrong with the heater or it's circuitry.

If still no luck with the pump, just test to see if power is present at the aforementioned fuse.. If so, it could be as simple as broken wires or corrosion on the contacts at the pump (being under the car and all). If power is reaching the pump, but still no action, take the pump out, and gently give it a few taps with a hammer while it's plugged in to 12v. NOTE: clamp the fuel lines! Sometimes this frees up the mechanism inside. If it does click to life though, don't run it for more than a few cycles - my understanding is that it relies on the fuel to lubricate the piston.

Good luck!

-greg-
LUNATIK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfulcher wrote:
Hey Uray...

Regarding your suspicion of the fuel pump not working, listen for the tell-tale "click-click-click-click" sound when the heater is actuated. If you don't hear that, take the plastic cover off the top of the BN4 and make sure the fuse is not burnt out.. I have encountered a number of heaters with the fuse missing altogether. This assumes the fan and coil are turning & sparking, of course... and that power is going to all parts of the heater.

Also, there is a plastic relay box - on the back side of it (closest to the firewall) is a red switch, which is basically a breaker that trips if anything goes wrong with the heater or it's circuitry.

If still no luck with the pump, just test to see if power is present at the aforementioned fuse.. If so, it could be as simple as broken wires or corrosion on the contacts at the pump (being under the car and all). If power is reaching the pump, but still no action, take the pump out, and gently give it a few taps with a hammer while it's plugged in to 12v. NOTE: clamp the fuel lines! Sometimes this frees up the mechanism inside. If it does click to life though, don't run it for more than a few cycles - my understanding is that it relies on the fuel to lubricate the piston.

Good luck!

-greg-

Thanks to all, for all the help, I was a little concern about this gas heater, I followed your instruction and it works fine... was that fuse it was burnt out... I replaced the fuse and the heater is back online.... I didn't use it long but I'm happy that it is working again due to is getting really cold here. Smile

ZTNOO... thanks for the info... It is now in my personal file due to I have another BN4 heater that needs parts, and also I will like to set up a BN2 in to a beetle and I saw that he has one for sale... I will be checking with him about that heater to see if it fit in a 66 bug.
Thanks all for your help
Uray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: