Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas heater
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Gas heater Reply with quote

I'm trying to sell a 73 thing, and I'm getting the question if the gas heater works.
I have never even tried to get it running (heater that is). So I am looking in to try and fire it up.
1st I have no power going to the pump, in which I have been going through some old threats on the subject. I see that the power wire should be the green one.
Does anyone have the wire diagram for the BN4 heaters.
And what should I look out for when running this heater?... noise? fire danger? or anything else.
Thanks Scott
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you can find help here http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=80886
73 Thing wiring diagram here http://www.vintagebus.com/
Mark
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BN4 Color Wiring Schematic
http://66.34.72.138/gallery/section/image/2017.JPG

BN4 Drawing
http://66.34.72.138/gallery/section/image/2013.JPG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links on the wire diagrams.
I have power to the pump as it should be, and the fan motor sounds smooth too.
I'm just a little nervious about starting it up.
Any precautions I should take 1st?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have never ran it, make sure the exhaust is clear. Bad time to find a old nest in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gus111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still having problems..... I can get the pump to click once when I put another power supply to it. But can not get any fuel to come out the pump (while connected to fuel line).
Is the pump supose to click constantly whenI put 12V to it or ist only supose to click once (power from heater unit pulsates?).
I do show to have 12V to the preen wire going to the pump.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish those pics were working on that wiki Thing link.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel pump is solenoid-type pump. It is designed to operate intermittently. There is a gear somewhere within the heater that actuates the pump every so many revolutions. So, if you want to test the pump, you need to open and close the current repeatedly.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gus111 wrote:
..... I can get the pump to click once when I put another power supply to it.

Do not apply continuous power to the pump, it is designed to have pulsed power.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gus111 wrote:
I'm still having problems..... I can get the pump to click once when I put another power supply to it. But can not get any fuel to come out the pump (while connected to fuel line).
Is the pump supose to click constantly whenI put 12V to it or ist only supose to click once (power from heater unit pulsates?).
I do show to have 12V to the preen wire going to the pump.

As Woreign said, the pump is a solonoid - it'll give one squirt of gas every time 12v is applied. When the pump is working, you'll get about a pulse every second of 12v. This is driven off of the fan - there is a switch that trips on every couple of revolutions.

The good news is that it worked once! Usually, the pump locks up requiring some maintenence (hitting it with a hammer often helps!) Check both the fuse and circuit breaker on the heater controller. The fuse blows when the heater over-temps which kills power to the entire unit - this should be an 8 amp fuse as it's supposed to blow. Internally, the heater shorts out at around 300 degrees. If the fan runs too long and no heat happens, the circuit breaker will pop - reset it by moving sliding the switch to the side (toward the passenger side IIRC) and it'll click quietly.

Very very often, the thermostat is frozen up. That cable from the compartment on the left is supposed to rotate the bi-metallic spring to change when the thermostat opens and closes. It's a very simple circuit in-line with the dashboard switch. The thermostat is supposed to prevent the heater from going over 212 degrees as read at the outlet. When the heater gets to 212 (or wherever it's set) the thermostat cuts power to the pump and the fan cools the unit until the thermostat re-engages and the unit heats up again. If it goes over 300 degrees, the fuse pops. When the thermostat is frozen, the bi-metallic spring can't rotate the little shaft it's bolted to, and the power is never cut - then it runs up to 300 and the entire thing stops.

It works great - when it works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gus11 you have PM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: