Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pics: VWSA museum cars destroyed in wreck
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
notchback wrote:
Who cares about the VWs? Look at how beautiful these Audi's were.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although I would like at set of those South African wide 5 wheels for my Notch.

1972 Audi 100 LS..................................worse car I ever owned by far. Evil or Very Mad I picked it up at the factory and spent the whole month in Europe trying to fix the problems. You can't even find one for sale today..............I'm sure they've all been crushed.

Well I know the one in the picture has.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dogapult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no spluh!

gzg1406: "bamboo sounds almost like manboob"
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:
bljones wrote:
Look at any world class collection of cars, and you will find that most have undergone total restorations, especially race cars. Sometimes the car on display was little more than a pile of rust with a number plate attached prior to being restored. In fact, often the word "reconstructed" is more apt than using the word "restored."

Or look at what's routine in the airplane world. Tell the guys who pull crashed planes out of glaciers or up from the bottom of lakes where they've been rusting for 60 years that these cars can't be restored and they would laugh in your face.

Most of those aircraft "Restorations" are actually completely new airplanes built from the original blueprints with a few bits from the originals (most notable being the data plate) incorporated. If you tried to do that with an automobile you'd have the Feds down on you for "VIN Fraud". Of course, for a museum car or any car with $$$ behind it the Feds would look the other way.

As far as the crash damage, I'd guess that the transporter rolled and sat on top of the cars upside down. That would stove in the tops pretty well before the chains tore loose.
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article on the VWSA museum from Classic Car Africa magazine, written before the smash:

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stretch Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does nobody else think this is a hell of a shame then?
I nearly cried seeing the smashed up cars on this forum.
When someone hit my Karmann cabriolet I was totally heartbroken so to have all these ruined is a huge blow to the museum.

You know they don't ever let the Royal Family travel together for this reason, if theres a crash they'd all be wiped out, hummm....
I wouldn't send all of my fleet out together on a transporter. I saw a transporter with brand new Jags crash in Coventry and wreck them all.

I hope they can salvage some of the wrecks and put them back in the Museum, perhaps they'll learn a lesson and not let them go out again, but that would be a shame.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is still the last beetle. It is just crunchy!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretch Mark wrote:
Does nobody else think this is a hell of a shame then?
I nearly cried seeing the smashed up cars on this forum.
When someone hit my Karmann cabriolet I was totally heartbroken so to have all these ruined is a huge blow to the museum.

You know they don't ever let the Royal Family travel together for this reason, if theres a crash they'd all be wiped out, hummm....
I wouldn't send all of my fleet out together on a transporter. I saw a transporter with brand new Jags crash in Coventry and wreck them all.

I hope they can salvage some of the wrecks and put them back in the Museum, perhaps they'll learn a lesson and not let them go out again, but that would be a shame.

This is the first time I've seen this old thread. What a bump!
HBB and Notchback trading barbs-priceless
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: