Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance Question
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stupidsongs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Insurance Question Reply with quote

I’m buying a 1977 Fiat 124 Spider (I know it’s not air-cooled, but it’s such a great little car!) and I need to get insurance on it, my friend offered to put me on his coverage with progressive so that I’d only have to pay $50 a month (to him, as his bill would go up), instead of getting my own policy that would cost around $100. I’ve got my Bus on my parent’s insurance, and they are letting me have that for free, so I’m not gonna mess with it.

My question is, is putting myself on a friend’s insurance policy legal? He’s got his girlfriend on the same policy, and her car is registered in her name, is that even legal? I’m just a little confused.
stoneloco808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about the legal issues, it varies from state to state. You will have to check your local laws. Just ask an insurance agent in your area.

I say just man up and get your own. Because if you for some reason have to file a claim, I am sure the rates for all of the insurance policies under his name will go up as well. In my opinion he is a good friend that he offered it, but I would pass on it.
stupidsongs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stoneloco808 wrote:
I am not sure about the legal issues, it varies from state to state. You will have to check your local laws. Just ask an insurance agent in your area.

I say just man up and get your own. Because if you for some reason have to file a claim, I am sure the rates for all of the insurance policies under his name will go up as well. In my opinion he is a good friend that he offered it, but I would pass on it.

Thats kinda what I was thinking, looking at the online estimates, it's actually only going to be like $20 a month more to have myself insured on my own policy.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rebuilt Type 4 engine: $4k
Rebuilt Transmission: $3k
Body work: $3k
Knowing that son of bitch won't ever tailgate an ACVW again: Priceless

This is your sig line, and you have the nuts to ask a question like that? Rolling Eyes
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters that you are on someone else's policy so long as the insurance company knows about it. What will get you in trouble is if your friend pretends that the Fiat is his and that he is the only driver. Then if there is an accident the insurance company will know you were driving it and they will start asking a lot of questions.

All in all you'd be better off having your own policy. That way, you start building a record with the insurance company and after a few years of no accidents they may lower your premium. We have State Farm and that's what they do with us. Of course, being young and driving a sports car, your premiums are going to be pretty high anyway.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, good luck with the Fiat! Why don't you save yourself some pain and suffering and just sit in the corner and stick red hot pokers in your eyes! Hope you have a lot of tools, money and patience to keep that thing going.

Now, on to the insurance issue. Why do you need insurance? Usually because the sate Requires it. And other then that you don't need it. Until something goes terribly wrong.

And in todays society, things go terribly wrong at an alarming rate. And as stated, if someone else on your friend's policy has an opps, that will affect your rates as one of the drivers on the policy.

But the real issue is after you screw up and clobber some one and the insurance company gets involved. You need them to cover your ass unless you are independently wealthy and can afford to pay the costs for the guy who you left drooling in a wheel chair.

That is not the time to find out the insurance company is NOT going to cover you. And trust me, they will always look for any way they can find to get out of covering you. They don't want to have to shell out big bucks to pay for your mistakes.

If you are man enough to be driving, you need to take the responsibilty to pay your own way and be independent of others. If you can't afford that, then maybe you can't afford to take the risk of being out on the road.

Open your eyes and step up into the real world. Insurance coverage is not something you want to fool around with. Its a lot like seat belts. After the crash, it's too late to reach over and put it on expecting it to help.

Cover your ass! Don't depend on others. He might be your friend, but what happens to you if you pay him and he forgets to mail the check? This stuff happens all the time. Just watch the day time Judge shows! most of them are financial disputes from people who were once friends and are now in court because they didn't do what was expected.

Take care of your self! You are the only one you can really relay on.
stupidsongs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
Quote:
Rebuilt Type 4 engine: $4k
Rebuilt Transmission: $3k
Body work: $3k
Knowing that son of bitch won't ever tailgate an ACVW again: Priceless

This is your sig line, and you have the nuts to ask a question like that? Rolling Eyes

I was waiting for someone to mention that, it only took 2 days Wink
stupidsongs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
First off, good luck with the Fiat! Why don't you save yourself some pain and suffering and just sit in the corner and stick red hot pokers in your eyes! Hope you have a lot of tools, money and patience to keep that thing going.

I got the pokers on the fire right now ^^

In all seriousness, there is no way it can be as much of a bitch to work on as my Jag was, just looking under the hood it seems so much more simple and logical than what the Jaguar was or ever would be, also i only sold the damn car cause parts got too expensive, believe it or not, there is a fairly strong Fiat community in the states, and new Italian parts seem to be plentiful and fairly well priced. Granted, that could be because the European economy just went into a nosedive, but i'm gonna pretend it's not.

Thee big pros for Fiat vs Jaguar

No Lucas electronics (they may still be lurking, but i haven't found any yet)

No P/S no A/C and no smog crap

You don't need to drive the rear end to change the god damn brake rotors

drscope wrote:

And in todays society, things go terribly wrong at an alarming rate. And as stated, if someone else on your friend's policy has an opps, that will affect your rates as one of the drivers on the policy.

Thats mostly what i wanted to find out, he's already got 2 at-fault accidents since i've known him, I'll be sure to tell him thanks for the offer, but I'll pay the extra few $$ a month. Thanks for the info!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: