Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Optima Battery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Optima Battery Reply with quote

Okay, I searched the forum for "Optima battery" entries and came up with quite a few hits on other forums - none on the Thing forum.

Can anyone weigh in on the Optima Battery issue? It seams to me that a sealed battery would save a lot of rust headaches down the road.

What batteries are people using?
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, I am moving it to the engine compartment.
Switching to side post cables as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a red-top under the back seat.
Mark
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was talk on other forums that the batteries died if they didn't get much use - if your car isn't a daily driver. Has anyone found this to be true?

Also, I know you got a red top but do you have the posts on the side or on top?
mikeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: optima Reply with quote

just FYI, i have one that i have been using now for 14 years, from the time that gates developed them, it has powered about 8 different vehicles and now resides in my db. excelent battery. MikeB
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

halfgut wrote:
There was talk on other forums that the batteries died if they didn't get much use - if your car isn't a daily driver. Has anyone found this to be true?

Also, I know you got a red top but do you have the posts on the side or on top?

The Optima literature claims just the opposite - the deep cycle holds its charge better during infrequent use.

My cables are top post, but the Optima has both so you can rearrange it. I will probably move to side posts as a safety measure to keep the seat springs off the posts.

Mark

Just remembered: I have a yellow top in my diesel tractor. Not a lick of problems although I use it at least once or twice a month.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the side posts make a better connection. But the unused top posts still remain a risk to seat springs even if capped. Between the shorting and possible theft is why I want to mount it in the engine compartment.
I think Interstate makes a similar battery now, they may be paying to license the technology from Optima.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do batteries get stolen a lot in California? (No Hoodride jokes please.)

I've never worried about it -- if someone breaks into the car itself to steal the battery, I just hope they don't cut the top. I don't think locking the engine compartment is a good idea either, because if you have an engine fire, it will take that much longer to put out the fire.

If your battery is going to be visible, maybe you could spray paint it black or put random pieces of duct tape on it so it won't be as attractive.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Opitma Red Post with dual post connecion is the answer. It is the 35/78 or 34/78 I forget the number. I buy them for all my vehichles for just under $100 from an online place in Wisconsin. I use the top post neg terminal in conjunction with my own battery cut off switch and then use the side terminal connection for the positive connection. I have never jumped a car regardless of frequent, or sparse use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few cars broken into but nothing taken yet.
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in the stix and leave the keys in the ignition of all my vehicals and the ner do wells go into my cars and use the keys to unlock my gas caps and steal my gas then replace the caps and replace the keys...mighty polite but my gas guages dont work on three of my drivers and i just write the milage on the dash and tend to run out on my way to work or when im late picking up the kids...depending on whos in jail this month, i can get between ten and twenty five miles to the gallon...bastards...at least their tidy! corect me if im wrong but i used to retail interstate and i believe optima is a product line of that company, use em in my bikes and my baja bug for there vibration resistance and will replace all consecutive failing batteries with the same. there are some great inexpensive battery boxes available that will accept a hasp and lock if theft is a concern...
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense, but it might be cheaper in the long run to keep your keys in your pocket. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

non taken, but ya gotta consider that tweekers are real creative and if you "out smart" them they take it personal and will find a more creative way to take your gas and it wont be so tidy...i bought a video camera with night vision and my overall gas milage has improved considerably, but they still get some here and there when i drop my guard...folks just dont take their keys outta the car round here or lock the house...lots of dogs and well armed home owners keep us nice and polite...tweekers are bored and creative and bored...the batteries are still there as is the stereo and all my tools. you can sit in a corn field all day with a shot gun and turn to take a pee and the ravens will desimate an entire block...shoot one and hang it prominately and they leave that block alone for a while...hmmm
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can you buy Optima batteries for around $100? Everything I see is around the $140 mark.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall we bought our red top for $105 at costco.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
I have one, I am moving it to the engine compartment.
Switching to side post cables as well.

I would like to see one installed in the engine compartment.

I have thought about doing it also. I was thinking of putting Bus tail lights in it and wondering about clearance problems.
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread about a year ago about moving the battery to the engine compartment. Most agreed it would not be a problem if it was a optima battery. Heat was the issue brought up. I have never had a problem in any bus I have owned, but it was worth considering.

I am guessing you are considering the early bus tail lights used on the early military 181's. They have a really low profile as far as their fit inside, I doubt there would be any problem with a battery near it. But if you use the bus tail lights, state laws might require a side light indicator.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
if you use the bus tail lights, state laws might require a side light indicator.

I hadn't thought of that.
Confused
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inkwelz wrote:
non taken, but ya gotta consider that tweekers are real creative and if you "out smart" them they take it personal and will find a more creative way to take your gas and it wont be so tidy...

So let them.

I'd often through that if I had such a problem I'd rig up 2 "tanks." Get an older bug tank with the filler under the hood, and get a second, smaller tank that isn't much more than a covered bucket rigged to the original filler. In that smaller tank, some nice sugared gas should solve the problem.

Yer friendly neighborhood buzzard rolls up, opens the filler, siphons out a gallon or 2 of sugery gas, and when his ride stops working, he won't need anymore gas. Since it sounds like a smallish community, you'll probably also be able to figure out who the buzzard is when he complains that someone sugared his tank. If you want to prevent the buzzard from catching on, you too can complain that someone sugared your tank - it'll make him feel a stupid that he can't admit and may also prevent him from coming back when his car is functional again.

Yeah, they taught me OpDec (Operational Deception) in the Navy. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smithy
Samba Smithy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red-top battery is good ONLY if you use your vehicle frequently. I had one in my bus which sat over most of last winter and spring. With the radio and clock running it drew the battery below 10.3 volts. It wouldn't recharge, no matter how I tried. Interstate Battery, the mfg., would not cover the warranty as their warranty does NOT cover the battery when it falls below 10.3 volts (it's in the small print on the brochure). I will never buy another one.

Dyslexic rebel, I beats to the drum of a different march.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: