Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I thought this temperature strip was a good idea
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: I thought this temperature strip was a good idea Reply with quote

3M stick on thermometerm, fisk tank style

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Temp-Strip-volkswag...0920QQrdZ1

But what temperatures should be considered safe?

How about the dip stick method, what was the threshold? My dipstick is warm but never hot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's an interesting approach. I wouldn't trust it over a CHT gauge though.

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have driven my VWs with a berg temperature dip stick, it runs hottest when I push the car past 65 mph. If I slow down it cools down and when I am going to stop I let the car idle for a few minutes before I shut it off.
A 3M stick wouldn't tell me if it got hot while I was driving and that's when the damage happens.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic of how high the temp is acceptable has been discussed in great lenghts on the beetle forums. Since our engines are 1600 CC's like the Beetle, those discussions would apply. Problem is, our engine compartment is not compatable with the Beetles, so our engines do run hotter at higher speeds. This is because the cooler outside air has a difficult path to the fan box. The rear side "slits" did not really provide enough hot engine air to escape. We also need to remember that these vehicles were designed originally for slower military purposes, and not for 65 plus MPH driving. I would say this was one of the many reasons they were not very successful as a "civilian" vehicle here (or overseas).

As to a good temp gauge, the Gene Berg dipstick temp sensor is a good one, but getting a reading of the cylinder head temperature is your best spot. Kits are available for this. The heads get the hottest (reason why VW went to the "wasserboxer" (water box engine) in the late 84 buses (vanagons) to help cool down and get more life out of the bigger vehicles they started producing.
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: dipstick Reply with quote

Interesting that Gene Berg invented the dipstick temp which ties into your oil pressure light because he said he could not find a temperature guage that he felt was accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't this guy sell deer whistles Razz
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: dipstick Reply with quote

honky wrote:
Interesting that Gene Berg invented the dipstick temp which ties into your oil pressure light because he said he could not find a temperature guage that he felt was accurate.

True. During Gene Berg's time here on earth, there were many things that did not meet his high expectations. I wish I had the VW knowledge that he carried in just his pinky finger! I believe though that the problem was not in the gauges (VDO makes some excellent ones), but rather in the sending unit, and where to place such a unit. Over the years, it was agreed that the cylinder head was the best place to check for air cooled engine temps. Could not tell you if there has been a satisfactory sensor made for this application though. Placing a temperature "strip" (like that suggested by the original poster) may work, but it would be a pain in the butt to check it during a ride, for sure.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
satisfactory sensor

Under the spark plug seems to work--racers monitor all cyl and output it to a generic AtoD sensor collection boxs like those from Inovate Motorsports.. How linear with respect to temp they are with respect to actual head temps would be interesting to know, but if they are calbration is easy.

I have seen people use infered temp guages to tune bikes on a dino under boost. I was thinking about getting a cheep one $70ish. Dose anyone have any experience with them?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/digital-infrared-thermometer/digital-infrared-thermometer.htm
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about them.

I wouldnt go too cheap.

I'd get one these .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Raytek-Laser-Thermo...enameZWDVW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking this one it is 2 degrees acurate @ 8 in with a 1 inch cone and a laser for siting--1000 degree max. It says you can move it around and it will average the temp over the entire scaned area. I realy didn't know if they work very well however.

http://www.tempgun.com/order.html#pe3

Here is an artical about using one to help check coolng on a bike.. I don't know if this is aplicable to our aircooled setups?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/digital-infrared-thermometer/digital-infrared-thermometer.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: