Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

Installed new front discs, bearings, seals, etc onto my spindles. Calipers are not yet installed. I DID check that the spindles were within tolerance before install.

I did my best to pound the races all the way in with a hand installer and a 3lb deadblow hammer, so I believe they are all the way in. I packed the bearings as best I could too by pushing grease into them with my palm.

When I spin the rotor on the spindle (on the bench) there is a mild chirp or chatter sound occasionally as it spins around.

Worry? Or is this normal. Should I just disassemble and toss more grease in there to be safe?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

I just consulted my bentley book and realized I overtorqued the nuts severely. Theyre rated for 7 ft-lbs and I torqued em closer to 30. Bentley says over torquing will damage the races. Hopefully I dont have to buy a new set of bearings/races? But loosening everything seems to have eased the issue.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

What model disc kit are you using?
Something rubbing on the backing plate?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

Setting front wheel bearings is an art, not a science. I've never used a torque wrench in over 40 years to set front wheel bearings, it can be done by feel/sight/and sound, and on the bench on a loose spindle is not the place to even begin attempting it. The spindle should be installed on the vehicle first.
Root_Werks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Setting front wheel bearings is an art, not a science. I've never used a torque wrench in over 40 years to set front wheel bearings, it can be done by feel/sight/and sound, and on the bench on a loose spindle is not the place to even begin attempting it. The spindle should be installed on the vehicle first.

I agree, never used a torque wrench on front bearings. It's a feel. I keep a gentle pressure on the wrench while spinning the hub (no caliper attached). I'll spin opposite direction of tightening the nut. When the nut stops tightening, about an extra 1/4 turn does the trick.

But as said, it's an art.

Dan
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

Root_Werks wrote:
Busstom wrote:

I agree, never used a torque wrench on front bearings. It's a feel. I keep a gentle pressure on the wrench while spinning the hub (no caliper attached). I'll spin opposite direction of tightening the nut. When the nut stops tightening, about an extra 1/4 turn does the trick.

But as said, it's an art.

Dan

Agreed!

You have damaged the bearings and the races, start over. It ain’t worth it, down the road!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

I disassembled both sides and inspected the races. Both looked to be unscratched.

Im going to leave it for now, After my complete rebuild is done Im going to do a full inspection after a few hundred, then a few thousand miles and ill take special care to keep an eye on these bearings.

After torquing correctly, things move smoothly with no noise, so Ill hope for the best.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New front discs: Slight chatter when spinning by hand. Reply with quote

Jordan, some people torque them to 25 ft. lbs., then slack off, then re-torque to where you can just barely slide the washer with a screwdriver.

I think you'll be fine.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: