Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's a good idea for a windshield?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

Right now I just have a piece of plexiglass I cut but was wanting something a little better. I'd like to be able to remove it too.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

It would help if we knew what its in or a pic would be even better.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

I figured by now everyone knew I have a buggy.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

Automotive glass. Maybe put it in a frame that you can install and remove. Or, EMPI makes a rubber seal still under the BugPack name by their current online catalog that lets you install a glass windshield directly in the 1.5" round tube roll cage tubing without any modifications to teh tubing..
EMPI part # B604900
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

Yup, safety glass is the only good answer.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

Some friends of mine put a plexiglass windshield in their Baja Bug with Velcro strips for a day of on and off road driving with a group. By noon it was getting difficult for them to see through the scratches from wiping off the dust that was attracted to the static of the plexi.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

Use only LAMINATED safety glass for windshields, and nothing else.

Don’t bother with poly carb, etc. It won't hold up. Plus, it is dangerous when you hit something. I have seen first hand what can happen when you clobber a bird at 50MPH, and it isn’t pretty. Trust me.

Most auto glass shops can easy cut you a laminated windshield from a flat sheet and have it installed in an hour so long as you have the rubber gasket material for holding it to the frame. They typically glue the gasket onto the frame with Urethane glue. It sets nice and strong, and won’t go anywhere. Most laminated glass is 1/4” thick, or there about.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

I'll back up Dusty's first inkling here. Automotive safety glass in a removable frame. Amazon Impact sockets welded to the front hoop to capture a nut and hold the windshield by tabs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What's a good idea for a windshield? Reply with quote

I like it, thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: