Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

anyone used rustbullet on the whole body ?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: anyone used rustbullet on the whole body ? Reply with quote

i want to keep rust away as long as possible and i've been looking into rust bullet , but so far i haven't met anyone thats painted their whole car with it . i was thinking i could get put into spray cans and hit the stripped body with that , then primer , and paint . anyone tried this ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st question, why put it into spray cans and not just use an air compressor with a spray gun?
MacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I've tried it, it completely melted the metal on my car. Stay away from it!
My nuts are fantastic!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dlxcoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would not do it.. It is not conventional with full body prep and paint..you will end up with a "test" case - unknown final results..
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Rust Bullet but I put Master Series Silver on the entire interior and inside of my fenders.
Tip -- If you do it, use a foam brush, it'll come out as good as spraying with none of the mess.
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just trying to make sure rust doesn't show up for a long time , i figured it'd be better in spray cans to get into the hard to get to areas , like the wells by the hood hinges . stuff like that . i'd rather not have to get a new compressor and a spray gun , the compressor i have now won't run one . i can't afford a good paint job on it , i'm doing this resto on a budget .....it's partially a resto , but mainly it's getting it back the way it was when i first bought it . i spent 10 years tracking this car after i sold it and finally bought it back . some joker painted it sea blue over it's lotus white . since theres so little rust i'm going to pull the body , fix the rust , rust proof , and repaint it lotus white . i'm probably just going to have maaco do it , i know the guy that runs the one around here and they do a decent job .

anyway , if you guys don't think i should do the whole car should i atleast do some of the important spots on the body , like around the windows , bottoms of the doors and quarters , door jambs , anywhere with weather stripping , etc ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good to me.
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on doing the whole car but I do plan on doing important parts like you're thinking. I'm doing the luggage tray, heater channels top and bottom and inside where possible, spare tire compartment and a couple other spots in the trunk, the bottom of the doors inside and out, and a couple more spots I can't think of right now. In most cases they will be covered up so if they turn out looking bad due to rust bullet's "soak in" the carpet will cover them.

I know POR-15 has a product that you paint over standard POR-15 so you can paint normal paint over it but the body shop that sells it here says a little sand paper on the POR-15 will do just fine. I'm sure the same goes for rust bullet since they are pretty close products.
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: anyone use rust bullet on the whole body? Reply with quote

The problem with using rustbullet/por-15 on the whole body is that while you are doing the body work you will break through. Then you have to decide how to treat the bare metal spots again. The POR-15 was also difficult to apply without getting hairs from the brush or runs in the surface. The foam brush might do the trick. Either way you will get tired brushing a whole car.

I would stick to applying it in rusty areas and those that won't be seen as often/all the time. Use it in wheel wells, windshield frames, underneath the car etc. For your other bare metal areas, use a good etching primer and then a surfacer.

If you do decide to use one of the products on the exterior of the car, remove any runs prior to applying bondo or primers. In my case I learned that POR-15 does not sand like either primer or bondo, it is much harder. In otherwords you will sand off all the primer and bondo and still be able to see/feel the run.
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: anyone use rust bullet on the whole body? Reply with quote

For the difficult to reach areas I used an undercoating gun and bought a wand to extend the reach. I had to cut the tip of that comes with the wand, it was too narrow for the por-15 to flow through.
TDodge7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran into this same problem with my chopper , i hate paint , i hate how expensive it is and what a pain in the ass it is . when is someone going to come out with a mericle coating that you just dip the car is and it's good forever . i can't afford a garage , so i have to do all my work outside , and the car has to stay outside . i want to keep it from rusting but i can't afford a super nice paint job .... it's a vicious circle with no solution except for making a ton of money appear out of thin air .
bugluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been considering painting my entire car with rustbullet, as seen at this link
http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/ariel.htm

However reading this leads me to think it is a bad idea Confused Its so hard to know what to do with regards to do-it-yourself painting... I've read quite a few things about painting your car with a roller with products similar to rustbullet and they seem to come up quite well but there are some bad reports on here. Does anyone have any more info??

(Sorry for the thread hijack but I didnt want to start another one when this one is pretty much like my question Laughing )
Cheers
Sarah
(Australia)
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used MasterSeries on the interior of my 69 and on parts of the exterior.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: MasterSeries Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:
I used MasterSeries on the interior of my 69 and on parts of the exterior.

John

So is MasterSeries the way to go?
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone used rustbullet on the whole body ? Reply with quote

I use the MasterSeries silver primer on a regular basis for doing both the inside and outside of VWs. Have done it for years. We sandblast the entire car after doing metal work, then 2 coats of the MS with a spray gun. It can sit outside for months without any rusting at all. When it goes to the painter he can scuff the car, do filler work over the MS and then use his own primer and paint. Been doing this for some 20 years now. Very Happy
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone used rustbullet on the whole body ? Reply with quote

Here's a thread where some people used Rustbullet on their entire model T. The red one looks pretty.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/625791.html?1458648921
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: