Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
canbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Posted the Ghia this morning. I hope you don't put me on the over priced list...

Tim.

Her 56 KG
His 56 KG
69 Single Cab, my new daily driver.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1924430
Quote:
I hope you don't put me on the over priced list

Ok. My whine isnt that it is overpriced Shocked
Seller is obviously too honest in his ad. Wink You actually disclose the previous body work was done quickly with plans of being a driver and there may be work involved if paint was taken down to metal. Very Happy Good luck, should sell quick.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

I'd like a nicer front bumper for my '58 than what I currently have, so a few weeks ago one at the link below popped up for $250. I emailed the seller, requested more photos (which I promptly received) and being satisfied with what I saw I told him I'd take the bumper at the listed price and asked him to let me know what the shipping costs would be (from Atlanta, GA to Charleston, SC...shouldn't have been too bad) so that I could send payment however method he wished. He replied that he would get a UPS quote the next day. That was April 6. Several days pass...no email reply....so I email again on April 12 and reiterate that I want the bumper. He tells me he's been out of town but will get by UPS "on Monday" (April 18 ) for shipping quote. Never heard back, and at that point I was reluctant to ask a third time for fear of sending money to someone who's not dependable enough to follow through or communicate delays after two earlier attempts.

Seems my concerns were not unfounded.

Still being on the lookout for a bumper I now see the ad "renewed" this morning and the price increased from $250 to $350.

Nice. Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1778119
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Enjoy this one. Includes complete interior (custom beetle fuel gauge) AND new floor panels. They look like scabbed in flat steel, perhaps held in with housing caulk.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5570133260.html
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Wow. That's a $1000 car if I've ever seen one. And that's if it runs.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Was this for sale, in Texas or something?... a couple/few months back for like $25k (with different wheels on it)?
It's 32.5k now.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1927411
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

That ad is nauseating, it's way too long winded. A feeble attempt to rationalize the price. 100% rust free except...isnt 100%. Wow, $8500 for a TMI basketweave interior is steep. Very Happy A buyer interested in "bone stock" isnt going to appreciate the header and stinger.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Was this for sale, in Texas or something?... a couple/few months back for like $25k (with different wheels on it)?
It's 32.5k now.

It looks nice enough, but for that amount of money the following would be nice:

-Photos of the motor
-Some verbiage about said motor other than "rebuilt engine (less than 2k on it)". I suppose if it was anything special it would be mentioned with the same grandiose flare as the rest of the ad so I'm assuming it's a stock single port.
-Photos of the pan
-Photos of the trunk
-Photos of wheel wells/front suspension/rear suspension
-Photos of rust-prone/damage areas (inner nose, rockers, lower quarters, etc).

Hopefully those "Porsche brakes" and "911 Porsche wheels" are not EMPI. Not that there's anything wrong with that (I have the EMPI 2.5 spindle/disk/Fuchs combo on my '58 ), but if they are Porsche I'd surely include a shot of the centercap and caliper in the ad if it were mine to remove any doubt from potential buyers.
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Well, if dropping $32.5k on that is out of your price range, here's one for a mere $4k. And as stated "dash is in amazing condition". Never you mind about the oddness by the key, or the towel of a dash pad, or the lack of gas gauge, or the giant hole cut for the radio. It's amazing.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5562613217.html
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Those front fenders look low light to me on that Tucson Ghia, I'd like to see a front shot of it.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
Those front fenders look low light to me on that Tucson Ghia, I'd like to see a front shot of it.

They do sort of don't they? The air intake holes look 60 or later though to me. Mysterious...
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Looks low light-ish to me too...

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

In the "horn" pic, isnt the support cross piece lowlight? raised base for nose badge too.
taillights look 60's.
some surgery on that one.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
It's 32.5k now.

Is it over priced? Probably, but if he does get good money or close to it I think it's good for all Ghia owners, when your car gets totaled ( I hope not ) it could help with settling with insurance pay outs or even when you might sell your car.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

thruhiker74 wrote:
Well, if dropping $32.5k on that is out of your price range, here's one for a mere $4k. And as stated "dash is in amazing condition". Never you mind about the oddness by the key, or the towel of a dash pad, or the lack of gas gauge, or the giant hole cut for the radio. It's amazing.

Notice the ivory vent controls on each side of the lower dash? That's an early lowlight w/ hacked in later rear tail lights. 1956, not '61.

lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
thruhiker74 wrote:

Notice the ivory heater controls on each side of the lower dash? That's an early lowlight w/ hacked in later rear tail lights. 1956, not '61.

I was thinking the same thing after I posted about the fenders or a front clip was welded on from the A pillars forward, it also has a large splined steering wheel and the early curves on both ends of the dash.

German Folks
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
thruhiker74 wrote:

Notice the ivory heater controls on each side of the lower dash? That's an early lowlight w/ hacked in later rear tail lights. 1956, not '61.

I was thinking the same thing after I posted about the fenders or a front clip was welded on from the A pillars forward, it also has a large splined steering wheel and the early curves on both ends of the dash.

I think you're on to something there. Now that I'm not looking at it on my iPhone I can see what looks like something funky going on where the A pillar meets the windshield post. Could just be the mis-shapped weatherstripping and dents on the rain gutter causing that effect though. At the very least it appears the part from the A pillars forward, including the dash, is a '56.

thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
PeteSC wrote:
thruhiker74 wrote:

I think you're on to something there. Now that I'm not looking at it on my iPhone I can see what looks like something funky going on where the A pillar meets the windshield post. Could just be the mis-shapped weatherstripping and dents on the rain gutter causing that effect though. At the very least it appears the part from the A pillars forward, including the dash, is a '56.

Now I'm a bit curious. Not to buy it, but maybe to go and see what it looks like in person.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

Just to clarify...I suppose with those dash vent control knobs it could be early '57 too FWIW. I don't know when exactly the change to the vent levers went into effect but thought most '57's had them.

I'm not in the market but I would be curious is it really is a '56/early '57 misidentified as a '61 (or sitting on a '61 pan/title) or clipped, etc..
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Example of Overpriced Ghias & Ghia Parts Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
Just to clarify...I suppose with those dash vent control knobs it could be early '57 too FWIW. I don't know when exactly the change to the vent levers went into effect but thought most '57's had them.

I'm not in the market but I would be curious is it really is a '56/early '57 misidentified as a '61 (or sitting on a '61 pan/title) or clipped, etc..

Tail lights really look '60-'69 so I'm guessing it's a grafted front. I wonder what the VIN tag in the front says though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 88

Jump to: