Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 30/31 H
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
redrum71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Solex 30/31 H Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of this carb? The first time I've seen one was on my car and tuning has proven to be a hair pulling task!!! which isn't remotely close yet as it's running rich as hell, how reliable is this carb, does anyone know? Also does anyone have any pictures of the vacuum line routing my car doesn't have any, and when I un-cap the ports on the carb I get no suction, any ideas where to start???
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one on my '69. It's run great for the last 5 years. Yes, tuning them can be a trick. I think it also depends if you have the Brosol or the other kind. Mine's the Brosol and I've heard those are the prefered ones. It's also in the jetting as well. I can't remember what size jet I'm running but I know I had to alter that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Solex H30/31PICT on my 1600DP and it runs great. The vacuum advance port is #1 on the left side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Migit
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an intake leak there Glenn? Blow the plug out of the front? Mine was JB welded looks like you used some Juicy Fruit or something!!
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Brosol H30/31 and its nearly impossible to tune correctly, or even close....its really been giving me trouble this week and ive been threatening to hammer it to pieces....on thursday im swapping it out for a different carb though...cuz its gotten so bad that i go nuts when i drive it...(ive got like a 2 second delay on takeoff, wont get up to speed, and more problems...)
the brosol H30/31 is a brazillian POS...my recommendation: trash it now before your headache gets worse, and get a proper german carb. Evil or Very Mad

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Failer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migit wrote:
Have an intake leak there Glenn? Blow the plug out of the front? Mine was JB welded looks like you used some Juicy Fruit or something!!

That's the way it come on the engine. This was just a spare and will soon be replaced by a 2180 in the Spring.

TimD_66 wrote:
i have a Brosol H30/31 and its nearly impossible to tune correctly, or even close.

Mine runs great. I tried it with a 009, 034 and 010 distributor, the 010 works best. I replaced it with a 34PICT-3 and tried the same 3 distributors and found the H30/31PICT and 010 was the best of the 6 combos.

It idles smooth and pulls smoothly through all the gears.

If you're having problems remove the jets and blow the carb out. That worked for me.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimD_66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenn- the huge difference between yours and mine is that yours is a german Solex H30/31, and mine is a new Brazilian Brosol H30/31....two different carbs, even if they may be then same model.

B.L.T.N.
N.A.G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimD_66 wrote:
glenn- the huge difference between yours and mine is that yours is a german Solex H30/31, and mine is a new Brazilian Brosol H30/31....two different carbs, even if they may be then same model.

If you say so. I haven't had a stock engine in my car since 1978. And as soon as my 2180 is done it will be put back into storage.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
TimD_66 wrote:

If you say so. I haven't had a stock engine in my car since 1978. And as soon as my 2180 is done it will be put back into storage.

I don't think there is such a thing as a German 30/31...

Dud's exist with all models of carbs. I don't see why anyone has to condem all of a model just because the one you have doesn't function properly.

Except maybe those new Pierburg Kafer 34's Razz Laughing
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LedFloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkbre wrote:
I've got one on my '69. It's run great for the last 5 years. Yes, tuning them can be a trick. I think it also depends if you have the Brosol or the other kind. Mine's the Brosol and I've heard those are the prefered ones. It's also in the jetting as well. I can't remember what size jet I'm running but I know I had to alter that.

Did you go up or down on the jet? I just ordered a 130. Hoping that eases the flatspotting and tuning pains until I get my SVDA.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

Dud's exist with all models of carbs. I don't see why anyone has to condem all of a model just because the one you have doesn't function properly.

I've seen some H30/31's run just fine, and some run like <bleep>. A lot of the time it's because your distributor doesn't mate up well with it (refer to the thread mentioned above for more on that topic.)

Actually, there IS such a thing as a German Solex 31PICT-3. I'd read about them in a British VW history book, but never saw one til a while back on another post here. That carb was designed for the 1300DP engine sold in Europe. But it's a bit of a different beast than the H30/31 replacement carb they make in Brazil.

I can't remember/find what thread the pics were in, but for my "carb reference" photo file I snagged the pics, here's one of them:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redrum71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so i'm running a 009 dist. with a petronix ignitor II in it, and it's running rich as hell, it has a small flat spot off idle but other that that it runs great, plus it doesn't have ANY vacuum lines hooked up, any ideas on how to lean it out or hook up vacuum lines?

thanks!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an 009, all vacuum lines are to be capped off, so as long as yours aren't open to the atmosphere, you're set up right.

If the choke is working properly, and none of the jets are plugged or messed up, the only way to really lean it out is to put in different jets, either a smaller main jet or larger air correction.
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
keifernet wrote:

I've seen some H30/31's run just fine, and some run like <bleep>. A lot of the time it's because your distributor doesn't mate up well with it (refer to the thread mentioned above for more on that topic.)

Actually, there IS such a thing as a German Solex 31PICT-3. I'd read about them in a British VW history book, but never saw one til a while back on another post here. That carb was designed for the 1300DP engine sold in Europe. But it's a bit of a different beast than the H30/31 replacement carb they make in Brazil.

I can't remember/find what thread the pics were in, but for my "carb reference" photo file I snagged the pics, here's one of them:

Doesn't say 30/31 though does it? Laughing Wink

I have seen a few of those on some german imported used engines back in the late 80's early 90's.

Pretty sure the brazillian 30/31 is a copy based on that carb.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redrum71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to pull it off and re-build it tonight, when I took it appart there was alot of crap in it so I cleaned the hell out of it. I also looked it over and noticed that it's a Brazilian Brosol, I'm not sure if that makes any difference tuning wise or not.

With my last bug I was running a 34 PICT, with an 009 and I had one line off the carb to the air box, and if i'm understanding everyone correctly, with the 30/31 and an 009 you don't run any vacuum lines?

Thanks for all the help guys!! hopefully i can get this thing ruinning better Cool
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

I have seen a few of those on some german imported used engines back in the late 80's early 90's.

You're right, no H30/31 on that one. And yeah, I'm sure the Brazillian version was based on that too - except Brosol obviously "reworked it" to be more universal, or actually more like the 30PICT-3. I don't know what the "H" means either, but I'm sure that has something to do with what they did to it. The German one only has two vacuum lines coming out of it instead of 4, and missing that extra casting on the side of the float bowl (manual choke cable support of some kind, it looks like) - and I'm thinking the German one probably is designed to work with the SVDA wheras the Brosol one doesn't unless modified.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
keifernet wrote:

You're right, no H30/31 on that one. And yeah, I'm sure the Brazillian version was based on that too - except Brosol obviously "reworked it" to be more universal, or actually more like the 30PICT-3. I don't know what the "H" means either, but I'm sure that has something to do with what they did to it. The German one only has two vacuum lines coming out of it instead of 4, and missing that extra casting on the side of the float bowl (manual choke cable support of some kind, it looks like) - and I'm thinking the German one probably is designed to work with the SVDA wheras the Brosol one doesn't unless modified.

Seems more like the 31 you posted pic of and the 34 pict 3 to me due to the placement of the idle air shutoff solenoid VS the electromagnetic idle pilot jet on the later 30 pict series.

I agree that they re worked the tooling to try and make a replacement carb to cover many models/markets ( all the vaccum hookups for various pollution control devices found on US cars?) I can't recall ever trying one with a late model SVDA... although I have read the information about the vacuum signal not being correct or causing some kind of timing advance issue. I mostly see the carb run with 009.

Andy...is the 30/31 supposed to work well with the eariler single vaccum only distribs? Seems like it should...Have you posted somewhere in all the threads you participate in the info? I may have missed reading it. Link me up if you can. Very Happy
canvmnvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same carb on my 1641 DP type 1 engine and am using a stock 009 distributor with all vacume lines plugged. Mine runs great and I never seem to have any problems tuning it ???
Added note: I purchased mine back in the mid 90's or so from MOFOCO. Back then, they were selling several "modified" versions of this carb with different jetting etc to work in conjuction with various different distributors. I purchased the version "pre-tuned ?" to work with the 009.
worked great right outta the box and still does after 10 or so years. Don't know if MOFOCO still offers this service, but they might have some helpful info regarding rejetting etc.?????
PS my front cap also blew out Shocked JB welded a dime in the hole Embarassed .... Must be a fairly common problem Confused
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:

Andy...is the 30/31 supposed to work well with the eariler single vaccum only distribs? Seems like it should...Have you posted somewhere in all the threads you participate in the info? I may have missed reading it. Link me up if you can.

Well, that's in my "huge" post where I compared a bunch of different stock carbs to the H30/31.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Basically, the conclusions there were that the H30/31 is plumbed internally much like the 30PICT-3, which was a vacuum-only carburator. The vacuum tests I did with it unmodified showed they were quite similar in their advance curves. And neither of them generat nearly strong enough of a vacuum pull to work an SVDA diaphram correctly. Unless you play with modifying it, or buy one already modded, I'd ONLY want to use a vacuum-only distributor with that carb.

-Andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: