Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hood crests
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oval56 wrote:
IN2VWS wrote:
F-22A wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both of these do not look original to me.
Never seen one like the one on the left before, nor have I seen that makers mark.
The one on the right does not look correct on the back.

Here is a pic of the back of an original Lauer 4 brick badge.

cool thing, the seller of thes batches bought them from Lange ( the company who did the crests) direkly out of the old rooms, so not only K.S.P was doing them.

the left & the right came from lauer nürnberg!

It would appear the tab bar needs to be mounted just above the start of the jail bars on the castle door. Good eye John, you are right about the one not being usable with a VW beetle base Cool

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
KäferKrieger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

screws or rivets ?

OilDropMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KäferKrieger wrote:
screws or rivets ?

Screws for sure:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KäferKrieger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now thats baroque Laughing
69er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Anyone has info on this crest? What's the story and/or meaning of those three...err...lions? Guesses are welcomed.

http://img864.imageshack.us/i/dscf4561medium.jpg
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69er wrote:
Hi guys,

Anyone has info on this crest? What's the story and/or meaning of those three...err...lions? Guesses are welcomed.

http://img864.imageshack.us/i/dscf4561medium.jpg

Your badge is a reproduction that incorporates the the city/state crest of Bauden-Wurttemberg's three lions. (scroll down)

http://www.rollintl.com/roll/grcoat.htm
69er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, the answer!!!

Thanks a lot, you're my man. Laughing
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69er wrote:
Finally, the answer!!!

Thanks a lot, you're my man. Laughing

You're welcome. Cool
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello aircooled friends Smile

Recently I bought this hood crest, seems original but another option would be great. I post the pics. Is there writen K. SCHWAGER PFORZHEIM not sure if is ok for this badge.

I cleaned a bit to see the colors better.

Is ok this badge for my split 52? i mean also original?

Thanks and regards Wink
Franklin
eurodub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the aluminum base on the crest has the thin edges so is correct for pre 54 cars. later ones have the side edges a little wider... i have a similar one in my 52 split.

.. but i guess you already knew that! Very Happy

Virtanen posted this pic in the first pages so it explains best how the bases look on early/late vw.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusca66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from months of 1951 that came with the hood crest? There are some who came and one that has not come... :roll:
Sp2 1972 1700cc

Na duvida não ultrapasse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dein KDF-wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag up this old thread , but I found it really fascinating & informative , Really interesting to see all the various badges that were available ( Fake & non Fake & how to spot the differences )
I see the ‘so-called’ Aussie badge was mentioned near the beginning & IN2VWS made mention that they weren't Australian ( Unfortunately the pictures referring to this are no longer visible )

I was wondering if it was one of these ( see picture )

These are often mistakenly described as coming from “Aussie Specials” Even here in New Zealand & were fitted to some 1300’s post 1965 to 1968

It would appear they were a New Zealand thing only & were fitted on some of the NZ Assembled Beetles that came to NZ as CKD Australian kits .

They were fitted to the Right front 1/4 panel only ( never on the hood in this case ) & secured by two threaded tabs with small Bolts & washers. They had no base frame as the hood versions do on earlier cars & the badge is self is flatter as it was designed to be fitted to the 1/4 panel as per picture below.

Unfortunately , as the decades have passed, little is now known of these so called “ Specials “ apart from the idea that they came standard with a few factory fitted accessories .

I think the whole “ Australian Special “ as some call them ( & which turns out to have nothing much at all to do with Australia ) , got that name more out of Chinese Whispers , i.e., some one said it, so some one else repeated it, then two more people followed suit & said it to 4 others & so on & over time, almost every one is referring to them this way.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusca66 wrote:
from months of 1951 that came with the hood crest? There are some who came and one that has not come... Rolling Eyes

Starting April 13th, 1951.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, these things amaze me, here's why: Having watched many episodes of How It's Made, I have a pretty good idea of how they were made. The metal backs were probably cast using the lost wax technique, chromed and had the mounting tab brazed on. All the colours were then filled in by hand and it looks as if a cap of some sort was put over the front and then the crest was fired in a kiln. Coming out of the kiln, they were polished again one at a time by hand and then packaged and shipped to the VW factory where they were unpackaged, inspected and transported to the crest installation station on the production lines. I say lines because, and this is the amazing thing, in 1959 the factory was making approximately one thousand, five hundred cars A DAY! This means that these crests were being made at a rate of approximately 1,500 a day. This must have employed a considerable number of people just making crests. Consider this as well: there were several companies over the years that made them, was this sequential? Did PuC at one time lose the contract? What happened when someone lost the contract and they went from making 1,500 a day to none a day? These things have always amazed me. Women's purses amaze me too.

There must be people around that worked at the crest factories that someone could interview that could taklk about what it was like making these things and why all the little differences.

Don
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood crests Reply with quote

slammed shady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood crests Reply with quote

Hi,

I've seen a Hood Crest "Braunschweig" for sale on TheSamba about 10 years ago. Didn't buy it and regret it now, as I am living in Braunschweig today. I can't even find any pics of it anymore, any one on here has a pic of it?

Thanks,
Jan
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood crests Reply with quote

Does anyone know the exact month they changed the colors of the crests? I have an October of 1959 1960 Euro that came with an earlier style 4 brick hood crest, so I was curious if it was changed at some point, or if they used up some left over early parts on my car.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood crests Reply with quote

Four-brick crests were replaced by three-brick crests sometime in 1955, so it isn't original to your '60.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood crests Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Four-brick crests were replaced by three-brick crests sometime in 1955, so it isn't original to your '60.

You need to re-think what you said.........three bricks WERE REPLACED by 4 bricks.........not the other way around. Wink
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hood crests Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

You need to re-think what you said.........three bricks WERE REPLACED by 4 bricks.........not the other way around. Wink

That's what I thought, don't you have a 53 or 55 that's pretty original? I'm curious what month they changed from the blue/green crest to the black/red green me?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: