Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection relief here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I just got a '68 Variant with original FI. It cranks up great has a couple if issues.
1. When cold, idles fine but stumbles badly off idle until rpms are up.
2. When warm idles okay, but 'hunts' (i.e. rpms vary up and down)
and on steady throttle, misses and stumbles a little.
on full throttle, picks up and runs fine.
3. Unplugged temp sensor II when warm.
the idle rpms picked up (to about 1k) and smoothed out totally
the steady throttle smoothed out totally also.

I checked both temp sensors and they appeared to be giving valid readings,
temp sensor I 130 ohm and temp sensor II 35 ohm (both hot).
My (very limited) understanding of the FI system leads me to believe the system is running very lean since pulling the temp sensor II makes the system think the engine is cold and thus enriches the mixture.
I have not had the opportunity to check the fuel pressure as of yet.
Am I on the right track suspecting either low fuel pressure and/or air leak?
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Tangerine wrote:
I just got a '68 Variant with original FI. It cranks up great has a couple if issues.
1. When cold, idles fine but stumbles badly off idle until rpms are up.
2. When warm idles okay, but 'hunts' (i.e. rpms vary up and down)
and on steady throttle, misses and stumbles a little.
on full throttle, picks up and runs fine.
3. Unplugged temp sensor II when warm.
the idle rpms picked up (to about 1k) and smoothed out totally
the steady throttle smoothed out totally also.

Hey Tangerine,

Did you try to adjust/clean the AAR and make sure it's functioning properly? I had the same issues and they all cleared after I did that. Check this thread if you are interested: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591460

good luck!
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. My AAR was frozen too. I got it loose using your pictures as a guide. Unfortunately, I've got to pull it back off and try again. The bushing the shaft sits in were loose enough in mine to come out with the shaft, and I may have left one of them out.
What would be the recommended way to hunt down a vacuum leak? I've heard of spraying WD40 around the rubber hose junctions while the car is running and listening for a motor speed change. Is this valid? Is there a better way?
Thanks.
tweakhx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Tangerine wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. My AAR was frozen too. I got it loose using your pictures as a guide. Unfortunately, I've got to pull it back off and try again. The bushing the shaft sits in were loose enough in mine to come out with the shaft, and I may have left one of them out.
What would be the recommended way to hunt down a vacuum leak? I've heard of spraying WD40 around the rubber hose junctions while the car is running and listening for a motor speed change. Is this valid? Is there a better way?
Thanks.

As far as I know it's valid, yes
2007 GTI
2012 Beetle 2.5L

endle wrote:

Ever since I bought a vw I have not been able to keep my fingernails clean.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Another low-tech way to find leaks is with the "redneck stethoscope": a hose stuck in your ear and aimed right next to each potential leak... listen for hissing. You may need an assistant since you will want to plug your other year (or use hunting earplugs). Works surprisingly well!
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Thanks to your help, it's purring like a kitten.
I pulled the AAR and put the bottom bushing back in Embarassed .
While I had it out, it was not turning as smoothly as I would have liked, so I used some chrome polish and spun it some more with a drill. That seemed to do the trick.
I also went back over the calibration process and adjusted the 'hot' closed setting down about half a tic. Thanks again.
I'm keeping the suggestion on the 'redneck stethoscope' in mind for the future.
I noted that the clamps on the FI fuel hoses seem to be the 'usual' screw clamps. They don't appear to be leaking at the moment. Should I go ahead and replace them (and the hose) with the correct clamps, or should I leave them alone until I have issues? I'm assuming this can be down reasonably easy with engine in car.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Any damage from the worm clamp is done, so I wouldn't disturb it until you are ready to replace hoses, then do them all at once.
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Hey everyone in Samba land, I have just been researching a bunch getting ready to resurrect a new to the family 70 square back and found these stainless ABA clamps at a pretty good price:
$1.04 each when you buy 10. Shipping is $6.70 with priority mail, so no gouging.

http://www.hoseclampkings.com/prod-21-1-23-52/aba-...s-band.htm

The min/max dimensions don't match up with ABA's literature. It looks like the #22014 is the right size.

I would like to know how many clamps to buy for a complete re-hosing in SAE30R9.

I am guessing 40 would cover it but may just go with 50.

Having read lots of threads on this topic, including many pages of this thread, I still don't have a solid number of feet of hose to buy.

Thanks and hopefully you're welcome on the link.

Last edited by trythis on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:05 am; edited 2 times in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I think it was something like 21 feet of hose and 30-35 clamps, so you're almost certainly okay with 40. Search for it, and the numbers are in a thread in this forum somewhere.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I'm remembering 24' of hose & 34 clamps?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I'm remembering 24' of hose & 34 clamps?
I think you're close Mike. I remember it being 25 feet (so you can do the injectors), and 34 clamps.

It's kind of like Jim Adney selling 10 feet of spark plug wire, while I get 12 feet from him when I buy it. A little extra never hurts. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

I am digging through my own wiring harness (rats nest) and finding that my cylinder temp sensor looks like hell and if it works, wont work for long. I can only find one available and a bunch for Porsche 914s on ebay for $100. Not so wonderful. That part is discontinued and we need something to replace it.

I was looking around the interwebs and found this ~ $25 possibility

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/2265/10002/-1
would need one of these this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/2259/10002/-1

I grabbed this from forums.holley.com
From Danny Cabral's post:http://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?2535-Transmission-Temperature-ECU-Input

Quote:

Those of you with the Holley Avenger, HP or Dominator EFI system may be interested in this. I added a transmission fluid temperature sensor Input to my ECU. A coolant temperature sensor is too big & bulky, and 3/8-18 NPT threads are too coarse for sealing in thin wall aluminum castings. So I contacted Auto Meter's Tech Department and had a nice discussion about what I was doing. He recommended their #2259 temperature sending unit (1/8-27 NPT) because it's very compact and will fit in shallow depth ports. He said it's their newer model sending unit (for coolant/cylinder head temperature, transmission fluid, engine oil, gear oil, etc.) and more accurate than their older ones. It's also self-grounding, so it's an easy one wire hookup. Best of all, it's only $13. I installed it in my transmission's main line pressure test port. No gauge required because I'm monitoring it on the ECU Data Monitor, Datalogger, TSLCD/Digital Dash. It works very well and I'm happy with the easy installation. Here's the 16 thermistor calibration data points I acquired to enter into our ECU "Custom Thermistor" Input.

Auto Meter 2259 Thermistor Specifications
Temperature = Ohms (Holley EFI 16 Cell Calibration Table):
100°F = 1123Ω ±102Ω (Right)
120°F = 708Ω ±59Ω
140°F = 460Ω ±35Ω
150°F = 374Ω ±27Ω
170°F = 253Ω ±17Ω
190°F = 175Ω ±10Ω
200°F = 149Ω ±8Ω (I mathematically averaged this in, for 16 data points.)
210°F = 123Ω ±7Ω
212°F = 119Ω ±6Ω
220°F = 105Ω ±5Ω
230°F = 89Ω ±5Ω
250°F = 65Ω ±4Ω
280°F = 42Ω ±3Ω
300°F = 32Ω ±2Ω
320°F = 25Ω ±2Ω
340°F = 20Ω ±1Ω (Left)

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Don't despair! Here it is:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bck-158-0112
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Don't despair! Here it is:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bck-158-0112

Until you put it in your cart:
The part BCK-158-0112 currently has 0 in stock and 1 that will be special ordered for you. Tentative ship date: 10/18/2016 if your order is placed today.

I just spent half the day looking for this and nobody has them in stock. The word on the street (forums using same part) is that they were discontinued three years ago and the backstock just dried up.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Jim Adney probably has some. You can ask him at [email protected]
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Jim Adney probably has some. You can ask him at [email protected]

Thanks for the suggestion, I got an email from him this morning; he is also out of stock new or used. It looks like this part is NLA.
Tangerine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

The fuel injection wiring loom on my '68 is in really poor shape, brittle insulation, missing boots, splices, etc. Can this be replaced without removing the engine, or is this a job that's way best done with engine out of the car?
Also, are parts for the '68 and '69 interchangable? I have been given the impression from the books I've read that they pretty much are.
Thanks.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Easy to do with the engine in the car. I did that earlier this year on my '71.

'68 and '69 should be the same. If a cold start system was retrofitted, that might be different, but I think that was a totally separate harness.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

Lacking a temp sensor, you could rig up a fixed resistor based on the desired resistance when warmed up. It may run a little lean when cold, but you might not notice much. Then watch the classifieds for a spare TS.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection relief here! Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

'68 and '69 should be the same. If a cold start system was retrofitted, that might be different, but I think that was a totally separate harness.

Yes 68 (A) and 69 (B) are basically the same, with changes inside the ECU and the optional "Cold Start" separate wiring harness added to the system. The main parts of both are interchangeable.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Jump to:
Page 229 of 252

Jump to: