Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Bay Nightmare!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Engine Bay Nightmare! Reply with quote

Hi all, and Happy Holidays!

I've got a pretty big task ahead of me: rebuilding the engine bay on my '73. The previous-previous owner was supposedly some brat kid who hacked apart the bottom of his engine bay to fit a big ol' engine in there. When he sold it, he removed this engine and replaced it with the stock 1600cc, leaving big gaps between the engine tin and the steel deck of the car. He covered these gaps using sheet tin and teensy li'l screws.

I've got the eninge out and am currently rebuilding it, but I refuse to put it back in with the engine bay like it is now, only to have it trashed by dirt, grime, and temperature problems.

I know this is alot to ask, but this is my first restoration, and it's not terribly easy when you've got the only Thing for 4,000 miles! Does anyone have a graphic with the correct measurements of the engine bay? A photograph of a clean deck (engine removed), perhaps with measurements and notes, would rock my friggin' socks off.

Love and kisses,
Dave
Guam, USA
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a few rear clips for sale in the classifieds, some sellers will cut the sheetmetal out you want. I think it would be easiest to to cut and replace much of it. The sheetmetal you need to replace has a channel for the rubber strip. You could have a machine shop make it up for you, but you need a pattern. Seems like actual pieces might be found or even use the sheetmetal from a bus or beetle. I would purchase some from a thing being parted out thou.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

I currently have the engine out of my '73 and can take some photos of the engine bay for you. I'll try to post them this evening after I get home from work.

It's a small world... A friend of mine moved to Guam just last week. She works at Andersen AFB. I'm sorry to hear your the only Thing owner on the island. If I ever had the opportunity to move to Guam, rest assured I'd bring my Thing with me!

Warren
Florida Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Engine Compartment Reply with quote

I've a couple of photos with my rngine out that may help. However, I seem to have trouble posting an image to this site. What's an e-mail address I can send them to?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of my engine bay:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The opening measures 29" across, not including the tracks for the engine seal. I hope this helps...
Space Ghost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be easier to put the engine back in, with all tinware, and then fabricate your own engine bay....... then you know all the gaps will be covered by steel................ if you were to re-make your engine bay WITHOUT the engine then you would have to be 110% sure of your measurements..........

If it was me, I would put the engine in with all it's tinware, and make up my own panels from sheet steel or get hold of engine bay panels from a parted out car, like the other chap said, but I would still weld them in with the engine IN the car.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
Here's a photo of my engine bay:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't think Earthlink is allowing deep links - I can't see that image unless I go to the site directly.
http://home.earthlink.net/~woreign/enginecomp1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange... I shows up for me just fine. I'll upload the photos next time...
tahitipm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: engine bay Reply with quote

the engine bay is OK. You'r just missing the 2 (wide) rubber seals that fits the grooves
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the photo of my engine bay for Dave's benefit. I already purchased and installed those seals Razz

In fact, I hope to reinstall the engine this evening! It should really nice since I painted the bay to match the body. I also repainted the engine tin and other components...
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Tahitipm! And I thought I had the world's most isolated Thing! Looks like you win fair and square. Beautiful photos, by the way.

Guam is great and all, but it looks like I need to make a trip to Moorea!
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: