Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zenith 32 NDIX
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can get a dual port intake manifold for one of these, with heat risers?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajamul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to the guys in the 356 forum. pm rocky4by
baja1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bugpack one in very good shape................
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay got my carb rebuild kit today this is going to be my first attempt at a carb rebuild, any tips out there?

baja1967 does your intake have heat risers?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rocky4by
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: zenith carb Reply with quote

I like to break the carb down on a large table, about 3'x6'. I will even put down a white sheet so I can see all the parts well. If you have a digital camera take photo's as you disassemble. After disassembly I'll soak all parts in a one gallon can of parts cleaner for one or two days, next, spray all parts off with about 1-2 cans of carb cleaner especially all the passages, then blow everything out with the air compressor. Some people like to resurface or finish hone the throttle body and the carb base, but I do not recommend doing this. If your carb is in good shape and someone else has not done the above already, you will see that there is a machine finish on it that is meant to grip and seal the gaskets. I have had nothing but trouble from ones that have had resurfacing done to them. If you do some internet searching there are some Zenith rebuild videos and final setup information there, if you think you will need it.
It's a very easy carb to go through, you shouldn't have any trouble. Also, there are supposed to be 2 o-rings on the pilot idle jets. Some kits come with them, some don't. Some people are not aware that they ARE supposed to be installed there.
Steve
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steve that helps out alot. so I opened it up and I have 60's for idle jets, and 125's for mains does this sound like it will work or does it sound like the dual carb set up?
rocky4by
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Zenith Reply with quote

Hello, If you let me know your engine size, and what the elevation is where you live, I can give you some more information.
Steve.
baja1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has the risers, but I have never used them. I'm running 135 mains and 60 idles. I think yours is still set up for a duals. Also, make double sure your accelerator pump circuit is working VERY good, or it will give you a fit. You should see two solid squirts of fuel the second you touch the throttle.
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my elevation is 2842 feet, and I am running a stock dual port 1600
baja1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start at 135 main and 55-60 on the idles. There isn't much aftermarket on the jets, so be careful. hit up rocky4by or buy yourself a reamer and gauge kit. I've gotten lucky and scored 4 or 5 from my local vw junkyard.
rocky4by
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Zenith carb Reply with quote

I would start with 130 mains and 50's on the Pilot Idle jets. Do you have 220's for Air correction jets? I do know a few shops that have a supply of parts if you need them. If you break the throttle body down all the way, those 4 butterfly screws are $5.00 each. If your thottle shaft is good with very little to no up and down play and the action is smooth it should be fine.
Steve
hagermanfolley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 220 for air correction jets, the linkage seems to be fine with no up and down play and quick action. So it looks like I need new jets where might I look for those? Four butterfly screws? what are those? Are they the ones on the bottom? are they usually a problem removing? I am going to be switching to a trimill exhaust, and 1.25 rockers like they did in last months issue of hot vw's, so I was hoping this carb would give me a little boost like the dual kadrons did in the article. although mine is a single.
rocky4by
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: zenith carb Reply with quote

Sounds good on your throttle body. The 4 screws I am meaning are the 4 screws that hold the brass butterflies to the throttle shaft. So if you aren't taking this apart, you won't need them. I did call one place to check on jets today. Expedition Imports said he can make some 30's up. he has everything else all around that number. Their number is 707-643-6757. You might try Patrick at Cold War, I didn't try him, it's 303-346-8462. I think I would give your 125's a try since you have them. You really should try to dig up some 45 or 50 Idle jets though. You'll like this carb once you get it right. It's smooth, gives decent mileage and decent power. It's not duel carbs, but it is very reliable and plenty enough for your car. In the meantime I'll check around for some other jets.
Hope this helps,
Steve
JDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running a zenith (single) 32NDIX and have a problem when i get into second, it stumbles. do you know what the problem could be? This only happens in second, not 1st-3rd or 4th. kinda a mystery to me and it seems alot of others as well. there was no help in the porsche section as I posted the same question. I have some weber 40's (dual) that im going to use if i cant fix this problem. thanks if you can help.
rocky4by
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: zenith carb Reply with quote

If you have not already done all of the following:
Are you using a 009 dist? I would break it all the way down, but not to the point of removing the main shaft, then use gun scrubber and clean all parts thoroughly. I hold the distributor upside down so junk does not run down the shaft, clean all parts, plates, springs...etc. I did install a Pertronix in mine, and I liked it a lot. As far as the carb again, thorough break down and cleaning. Also be sure that the volume control screws are in good condition. And be sure that the pump outlet valve is in good condition and assembled correctly, mine was not. You need to have the correct jetting for your size engine too. I use a 30x microscope to inspect alot of my carb parts, like the jets. Again, the gun scrubber is a great product for cleaning the carb body and parts. This, I find at Walmart. It cleans super and dries almost immediately. It should run smooth from idle up without hesitation, if it's correct.
Steve
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

P.S.
Ok got your message "borninabus" about where Zenith Orings go. On the Accel jets? Are you talking about the Pump Jets as they are called in the diagram?

..............Now I am really confused about where the 2 Orings should go: Found this: Zenith 32 NDIX...............
rocky4by wrote:
I like to break the carb down on a large table, about 3'x6'. I will even put down a white sheet so I can see all the parts well. If you have a digital camera take photo's as you disassemble. After disassembly I'll soak all parts in a one gallon can of parts cleaner for one or two days, next, spray all parts off with about 1-2 cans of carb cleaner especially all the passages, then blow everything out with the air compressor. Some people like to resurface or finish hone the throttle body and the carb base, but I do not recommend doing this. If your carb is in good shape and someone else has not done the above already, you will see that there is a machine finish on it that is meant to grip and seal the gaskets. I have had nothing but trouble from ones that have had resurfacing done to them. If you do some internet searching there are some Zenith rebuild videos and final setup information there, if you think you will need it.
It's a very easy carb to go through, you shouldn't have any trouble. Also, there are supposed to be 2 o-rings on the pilot idle jets. Some kits come with them, some don't. Some people are not aware that they ARE supposed to be installed there.
Steve

Is "rocky4by" saying the Orings go on the Idling Jet Air Bleed?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Reguarding "Pump Jet" Orings!
Is the top picture correct?

Or do the Orings position on to the threads where they are shown in the bottom photo?

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

Correct

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

I'm new to the zenith carb club
I think you need a P 10 for single setup and the acl pump should be the short one
As I said I'm just learning
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith 32 NDIX Reply with quote

I have been reading up on the Zeniths, Turns out you can use either Porsche or VW either way you want, just configure them accordingly.

The Carb above is a P010 with a 25mm venturis. But I don't like how rich it must run to start and idle in cold weather and it has a rather long warm up period too. Spark plugs have already fouled and I don't even have the engine in the Bus yet.

The dual Dellortos 36's seem to not have the problem. No chokes. So I am considering going to a Porsche configuration with dual Zenith's with no enrichments and Porsche throttle plates with no crossover. I used to have them on a 356A and it would start when it was 5 degrees below zero F. It did take a lot of feathering though to keep it running for about a minute.

But for now just trying to learn what I can about this setup as a single, I think one side is not getting enough gas need to figure out way. Very noticeable difference looking at fuel going in with the engine revved.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: