Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wind Lacing?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boleador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where you can pickup these metal frames?
Kalapaki Papa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: windlace questions revived Reply with quote

Looking and searching to no avail ....
So I'll try by reviving this thread.

Having owned 8 ghias and worked on dozens more it appears the memory is not what it used to be. I'm working on ghia number 9, a 63 coupe.....

AND

I have the A pillar (front) original wind lace pieces as provided by Karmann....but I have not a scrap for the B pillar. Looking for a good pic and also, is there a steel strip like the front?

Pics and details would be greatly appreciated... Embarassed
61 L380 sedan
62 SO33 L380
63 standard micro
63 cabrio
64 KG coupe
64 sedan
66 sedan
67 beetle
70 empi GTV
70 VWOA Formula Vee
73 Economotors super beetle
74 GSR / German look rally tribute super beetle
76 cabrio
& a bunch of non-vw rolling stock parked in and around the barn. Just can’t help myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No steel piece for the B Pillar like the A pillar but there is a small "L" shaped bit at the bottom. In the cabrio all is held in with a) upholstery tacks , b) the chrome trim (at the top) and c) the hinge cover. In the coupe it is the same except the side panel replaces the hinge cover.

Like here in these fine pictures in the Gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Kalapaki Papa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! thank you Nicholas! That is exactly what I was "thinking" but after 20 years without a Ghia I was second guessing myself! Now I just gotta find the wind lace inner material. Living in the outer Hawaiian islands....many times there is no local source! Hate to use rope!
Aloha and mahalo!
61 L380 sedan
62 SO33 L380
63 standard micro
63 cabrio
64 KG coupe
64 sedan
66 sedan
67 beetle
70 empi GTV
70 VWOA Formula Vee
76 cabrio
& a bunch of non-vw rolling stock parked in and around the barn. Just can’t help myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an old plug wire, wrapped it with vinyl, glued it and sewed it, looks great.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right... rubber tubing would do the same. About 8mm diameter should do it.
Nicholas
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalapaki Papa wrote:
Aha! thank you Nicholas!

X2

Very helpful thread to me especially the pics. I have the metal pieces and refurbed them but its one of those instances I failed to take pics when I was excitedly stripping and dismantling Embarassed
Nice to know where the "L" shaped bit in the bottom goes exactly!

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
Kalapaki Papa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plug wire, Now that's thinking! Not bad either but "maybe" too dense for my tastes... I like the tubing idea, that's the ticket!
61 L380 sedan
62 SO33 L380
63 standard micro
63 cabrio
64 KG coupe
64 sedan
66 sedan
67 beetle
70 empi GTV
70 VWOA Formula Vee
76 cabrio
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the old ones for my car but they are cracked and tatty. I'm thinking of covering them with new vinyl to match the seats' upholstery.

Thanks Nicholas for showing how to fit them.
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: tight fit Reply with quote

hey a question to those who installed the windlace on a coupe under the rear pillar. Was it a really tight fit? I am having trouble fitting it under the chrome and rubber on the bottom of the pillar.....its doesnt want to fit..
ghiajake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner upholstery cording ends just before you get to the top and bottom, so you only have to put empty material under the chrome at the top.

rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
I also wanted to comment that if the carpet isn't finished on the rear edge of that piece, it was probably because you need the metal strip that attaches to the sheetmetal kickpanel, then "pinches" over the rear edge of the carpet. That is how my '58 was, but I dont know about '60. Anybody know what year they stopped installing these dang things? Pretty hard to find, and you can see them as a light beige strip between my windlacing and carpet here:

Just so people know; the carpet and trim shown here is beautiful but not at all original.

Starting sometime in calendar year 1957, the earlier footwell wall covering became a rubber mat that very nearly 100% of the time became permanently bonded to the vehicle and then destroyed when someone tried to take it out inexpertly. This mat continued into early "1960" models. I don't recall the exact point of transition, but I have definitely seen some original large-air-vent, "1960+" bodied Ghias with the rubber mat from new.

Also note that in the image above, the passenger floor mat is also not original: The mats were flat on the floor when that car was made - no angled plate.

I'm sure most if not all of this is documented in the parts manuals, if anyone were to bother to look up the transition points.

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
rtroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Lacing? Reply with quote

Just checked out one of my 1958 KG Cabriolets - the one that's still all original and awaiting attention - and the windlace is there on both sides of both doors, as well as the remnants of the rubber mat!

I might be able to get a decent photo or two for yall sometime soon.

Karmann Ghia and Porsche 356 enthusiast
Founder, The Karmann Ghia Club of N. America
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkane wrote:
I had to ask previously about the metal frames in the past. I thought I would add this photo to the thread, so people can see what they look like (unrestored). My carpet has a finished edge, but I still plan to insert under the lip.

I have a question about the above pictured metal strips as well. Does anyone have a photo of just these strips in place for a reference? I've searched through the photo gallery but can't seem to find one. This item is driving me nuts, as when I place it in the spot where it goes, the screw holes don't seem to all line up with the holes on the pillar, and the cut out area doesn't match up with any of the larger holes where wiring passes through the pillar. I keep thinking I may have a wrong year strip, or were they all the same design throughout production?

Any pics with just the metal strip mounted would ease my stress!
Great thread though, thanks, Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Any pics with just the metal strip mounted would ease my stress!
Great thread though, thanks, Jeff

Those go in the front footwell area as part of a multilayered sandwich.. look at this thread for photos ..... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612846&start=14

Nicholas
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Lacing? Reply with quote

Hi Nicholas, yes I have looked at that thread many times and have even printed the photos for my personal reference manual, but when I look at this pic:

Mine does not match, the cutout area is square, like the one posted in my previous post, and does not line up with the hole where the door sensor wire is passing through, as shown in your pic. That is why I am wondering if I have a piece for a different year that doesn't go with my 71 convertible.
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Lacing? Reply with quote

Jeff, maybe the following pics will help. The first one is of a late model Ghia.

The second shows old and later model styles side by side. My '68 Coupé's style is the one on the left.

I think your Ghia needs the metal strips that will have the cutout to match the style on the right.

Chris M
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wind Lacing? Reply with quote

The location of the cutout seems to change over the years. I made up my own and the cutout is about halfway up:

You can make up a template out of cardboard to suit your car and get them folded up at any sheet metal place. As well as the folder lip they have a small kick at the top as you can see in the photo.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Lacing? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy,

I have the windlace in place. Hope this helps.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Lacing? Reply with quote

Chris, thanks for those pics. My 71 cardboard pieces do not have the heat vent cutouts, levers, or cables shown in your pics, my plastic heat vent covers, similar to those in your pics, just has a little flap handle you open and close with your finger.

Mellow Yellow, thanks for your pics as well, my pieces look exactly like what you show, so no need for me to have any made, but the idea is a good one for those needing something.

xzener, your pics are exactly what I needed. It appears I have been putting them in the wrong angle and was thinking that cutout was there to run wires though, but it appears not to be the case. Still wondering why those cutouts exist then. I now have a clear idea, I'm a visual guy!

Thanks everyone as usual!
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: