Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon jump seats into a westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Vanagon jump seats into a westy Reply with quote

I've often pondered whether or not vanagon jump seats would look and function like in a westy. Has anyone here done this conversion or maybe seen one converted?

Wolfsburg west offers matching upholstery. If the seats were reupholstered and the mounts professionally installed I'd bet they'd look factory.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of views but no responses?? Surely someone has thought or seen this?
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it if I could find reasonably priced jumpseats close enough.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure what you are speaking of, are they the rearward facing seats?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the rear facing folding/removable jump seats. Did late bays not have any partition behind the front seats making the install appear factory.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that no one has piped in here. Surely this has been done before.
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has piped in here. Surely this has been done before.

Yes, it has been done before, as recently as last year - 2006.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/326138.jpg

These seats snap in and snap out just like the original installation in a Vanagon. So you can load them in just 5 minutes!! when you need extra carrying room, and keep them out when you want the floor space. Much more convenient than dragging around a middle seat!!!

BTW, I have a pair of Vanagon rear facing -customized- seats FOR SALE that are a simple pop in for the Bays.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=373576

The frames on the seats were built up and the seats would be bolted to the floor. This is not as elegant a solution as the above installation, but gives you the opportunity of placing the seats ANYWHERE you want in that passenger compartment.

I was considering removing ALL the seats in the back of a bay and using the bay for hauling as necessary, with the option of quickly installing these custom seats WHEREVER I wanted in the back!! Or pulling out the sink cabinet in my Westy (pictured) and putting both seats in to give me 6 passenger transportation when going on a ski trip with my daughter's friends, or leaving them out when I am doing just solo of 4 person family camping....

Oh, and they would probably fit a split, too!!

Opps ... I think I have a bite!!
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice. In my camper though, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the space.

I like this one from highlanddubbers.co.uk (gallery 2):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's another picture in that gallery of it in the other position.
It would be handy when camping but I doubt it would be considered safe while moving.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncwarw wrote:
That looks really nice. In my camper though, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the space.

Nice picture, but that seat looks like something you would use when you are eating at a campout. No seatbelts visable.

The two sets I showed are seat belt capable, and probably somewhat comfortable for an over the road drive.
(':2gunfire:') [Yes, I am feeling a bit defensive.]
'78 Westy ... purchased 11 Dec 06 ($9,000); sand blasted/primered 7 Jan 07 ($1,200); body shop 3 Apr 07 ($2,000); paint shop 7 Nov 07 ($6,000); home 22 Apr 08; started TLC 28 Aug 08; got very first sign of life 8 Jun 2010; Run about 1,000 miles in Florida in May 2011; 1,600 miles road trip Orlando-Key West-Aldie Virginia 10-26 Mar 2020 (COVID-19 started)

Thanks for all the fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I meant.

The vanagon seats are obviously more robust and I don't think I'd want anybody sitting on a light seat on the road, even with belts.

The vanagon seats are big though and it's tight enough in there when more than two people are aboard.

I wish there was something in between like a safe extra seat for travel that didn't rob you of prescious space.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

honeybus- who was the contributer of this image? I'm surprised to see that the bulk heads didn't have to be removed, actually pleased would be a better word. Thanks for your post.

Duncwarw- that looks like a handy little campout seat. I've not seen one like it before.
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie, there is a VW'er near Princeton NJ who does this kind of innovative stuff to his camper.

This is his daughter's VW. She is going to college and sometimes she needs the space for her art work projects, and sometimes she wants to take a group of college friends around. These seats are light and portable so she has no trouble removing them to storage at college whenever she wants. It would be impracticable for her to be R&R a middle bench seat.

I pulled these seats from a Vanagon, and I tried to take pictures of the Vanagon installation and the way things looked so it might help him in his installation.

Most important is that the BAR that is bolted to the VW [that the seats lock on to] is 11 inches off the floor. I didn't see the final install on the bay, but I imagine that the BAR is attached to the seat partitions.

I was considering this for my vehicle, a Westfalia camper, but I do not have a partition behind my passenger seat, so I doubt it would work for me.

The seat belt retractor on his seats is 'permanently' mounted with the bar to the back if the partition [I assume] and the seat belt retractor has a special bracket to allow it to do so.

The seat belt receiver on his seats is 'permanently' mounted to the insides of the seat pedestals, where the other two seat belt receives for the two front people are. So when the seats are removed, the BAR remains, and the seat belt retractor and receiver remain attached.

To remove the BAR and the seat belt retractors is four bolts. And the seat belt receiver is, of course one more bolt.

FWIW, I will try to gather all the pictures I made and put them in the gallery.

Thanks for all the fish.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply honeybus. I'd appreciate seeing any photos you've taken.

I have a EV MV with the jump seats so I realize their versatility. The mounting system in the EV looks like it would need more fabricating to get to work while the vanagon looks to be more of a straight forward install.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model did you get them out of?

I thought they only came in the "Carat" but I admit I don't know much about the Vanagons.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carats, wolfsburg and weekenders all had them. I've even seen a few syncros with them but not sure what models they were or possible retrofit?
honeybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:

I have a EV MV with the jump seats so I realize their versatility. The mounting system in the EV looks like it would need more fabricating to get to work while the vanagon looks to be more of a straight forward install.

Yes, I agree. The bar attaches to the back of the seat pedestal in the Vanagon, and apparently to the partition behind the seats in the bays.

I saw two Eurovans in the yards. Those VWs seemed to have the front seats bolted directly, via an open frame, to a 'flat' floor' in the EV. It would be great to pull those seats for a permanent installation at the back of the bus.

What I thought was amazing is that the seats reclined almost FLAT, so you could nap in them .

Even if you could attach the jump seat BAR to the back of the EV, you probably would not have enough needed distance between the jump seat and the EV seat backs. The VW'er who did the installation in his daughter's '75 said something about having to put some spacers behind the BAR to get it farther from the partition so the seat back didn't touch the partition.

I am guessing it is not practical, or even doable on an EV.

But this is a bay forum, right...

I came down stairs early today to post the pictures in my gallery, so I had better get on with it. These will just be the pictures of the removal of those seats from the Vanagon, and you will get a better idea of what the Vanagon installation looked like.

If you want to see the pictures, check my gallery --->>> honeybus

If I have a chance, I have another set of seats downstairs that have the BAR and the retracting seat belt bracket. They did not show up well in my removal pictures because I was more interested in the Vanagon than the seats...

"""" Later in the morning, Barry says -- Hey, I uploaded 16 pics ofthe Vanagon installation, and two (one pictured in this thread) pics from the guy who was successful in putting them into a '75 bay. More importantly, I captured his comments in his pictures. I am going to NOT watch this thread any more because I don't know what more I can offer, except for more pictures of a COMPLETE set of vanagon rear facing jump seats as they sit in my basement. Barry says - bye. """""

Thanks for all the fish.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out some EV MV jump seats yesterday. I'm going to see my bro's weekender on Sunday so I can do a side by side comparison. I'm actually beginning to think the EVs would be easier to modify. It appears that they sit further from the forward seat backs already so there's no need for spacers.

'00 EV Multivan has arm rests but I've seen older ones without. Anyone here know when VW first installed these? Yes, I do realize this is a bay forum but this is a cross over topic- so please keep the flames at bay. Wink
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my parts carat woulda come with the jump seats. I really like them... though i wouldnt put them in my westy... it just doesnt seem right Confused
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jump seats like that came in later model Westy Weekenders.
A Carat is a higher end European Van
No Carats in the US.
Sycros came in transporter, weekender and full westy models.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:
A Carat is a higher end European Van
No Carats in the US.

.. then what are those Vanagons I see with the alloy wheels and the body kits and the badges that say "Carat"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: