Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering the rear
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: rear lowering question Reply with quote

OLDBUGPROJECT wrote:
I just re installed my torsion bars and pre set the angle to 15 degrees. As far as I know thats pretty low. Can anyone give me an estimated drop in inches? Im doing this for the first time. If I need to raise it I have the body off so it will be easier I suppose. I was looking to go 2 notches/splines down originally. I settled on 15 degrees. So before I go any further can someone lend me a hand?

Thanks!

You will lower your car 1.45" if you index your spring plates at 15° instead of the factory mark of 20°. Every degree that you change lowers the car approximately .3".
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notching metal out of the the rear drop plates with a plasma cutter/oxy fuel torch always struck me as crazy. This is old school for sure and NOT a choice I would make, so many other well engineered options currently on the market.
OLDBUGPROJECT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rear lowering question Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
OLDBUGPROJECT wrote:
I just re installed my torsion bars and pre set the angle to 15 degrees. As far as I know thats pretty low. Can anyone give me an estimated drop in inches? Im doing this for the first time. If I need to raise it I have the body off so it will be easier I suppose. I was looking to go 2 notches/splines down originally. I settled on 15 degrees. So before I go any further can someone lend me a hand?

Thanks!

You will lower your car 1.45" if you index your spring plates at 15° instead of the factory mark of 20°. Every degree that you change lowers the car approximately .3".

Thank you so much! I watched your youtube videos and attempted to gauge it from there. Im not going for a "dumped" look on my car. Just something that will have a good stance. So my equivalency if we were referring to how many notches that is (since I was merely going off of my angle finder) would be? Just for further reference.
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: rear lowering question Reply with quote

OLDBUGPROJECT wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
OLDBUGPROJECT wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you so much! I watched your youtube videos and attempted to gauge it from there. Im not going for a "dumped" look on my car. Just something that will have a good stance. So my equivalency if we were referring to how many notches that is (since I was merely going off of my angle finder) would be? Just for further reference.

I've seen a lot of COMPLETELY in accurate information about this on the web, so hopefully this post will clarify this question: if you index the inside of torsion bar only one tooth (notch) alone then the angle change is 360°/40 teeth = 9°, whereas if you index the outside one tooth (notch) alone then the angle is 360°/44 teeth = 8.818°, A LESSER AMOUNT for sure.

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However if you rotate the torsion bar one tooth on the inside (9°) but rotate the spring plate one tooth on the outside of the torsion bar in the opposite direction (8.18°) then you get an indexability angle of .818° (9° - 8.181° = 0.818°). Believe it or not there are other methods to fine tune this madness - all mathematically derived of course.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

I have a question on lowering my 66 beetle .Ive purchased the adjustable spring plates and want to lower about two inches?Ive marked the inner splined shaft and outer splined collar.Do I install my adjustable plate one spline up (towards fender)on outside collar and then use the adjustable plates to fine tune the adjustmen?Thanks for your help I have read all of these posts and just really confused myself and trying to only do this once,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

I'd install those dropped spring plates at the same angle and tune from there.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

Im looking to lower the rear about 3" total was going to move outer spline up 1 tooth and then use adjusters to get the rest will this work? Or will I get this amount of travel with plate in original spot and just use adjusters?Thanks for response![/img]
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me when using adjustable spring plates and you lower it ,do I remove the rubber stoppers and let the shocks do their work?Thanks

[/img]
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabyzvw wrote:
finally got back to this thread this is what mine looks like after two splines i marked both sides before removing and fortunatly everything went smoothly and love the stance in the rear

I know this post is old, but did anyone happen to go with shorter shocks on the rear? I lowered mine two splines (4inches) and need new shocks. Figured I'd ask here real quick.
canadadude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

I didn’t get shorter shocks
wyatt.bales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering the rear Reply with quote

canadadude wrote:
I didn’t get shorter shocks

Right now I'm sitting on the bump stop, I saw that JBUG's says to cut them in half. I will do that tomorrow.

I'll get new shocks as well but with that, the car won't ride on the bump stops?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: