Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Primin' a bug...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyer20200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

Here's my situation. I am doing a total restore on my beetle in the near future...I will do all the body work I can and need to be able to seal bare metal fast so as not to let rust form. I want to contract out the final coat of paint, because frankly my skills are lacking. I need to know what I will need for a basic setup that will allow me to spray a primer on the metal. Which leads me to my second question. What should I be looking for as far as primers? Type, color, etc. Plus, any suggestions on final coat paint type would be appreciated...Thanks
vwfreaky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

Make sure you use an epoxy based primer. I use the red oxide for much of my stuff. However ppg makes a great primer that is epoxy based aand can be used as an etch a surface or a seal dpending on how it is mixed. It is a little pricey but well worth it. It is NCP 271 and the catalyst is NCX 275. I wouldn't screw around with spraying this yourself. Your paint must live on the primer so really it is like a house standing on a $hitty foundation. Won't work. I would take it in to have this spraye dif you don't have the experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flyer20200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

I can't even prime it myself? I definetly will have the final coat done by a pro. Any suggestions for final coat type? Thanks

Ryan
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

if your doing it yourself make sure to seal the metal in a self etching primer that you can spray on in a thin coat or as thick as needed to protect your metal while you do other work on the car. It is cheap. Try some PPG veriprime or Dupont. The actual primer is also easy to put on. Just get a gallon of High build primer and call it a day.. It is only a two part primer adn vwfreaky has no clue really what he is talking about haveing someone else go and spray it..
Primer serves two purposes. 1 is to protect the metal and the self etching primer. 2. the primer allows build to get rid of small imperfections. 3 the primer also serves to aid in adhesion between the paint and the color coat.
Have at it if you run it make sure you pat the tall run down while it is drying.
Even coats and overlap by 50% on the primer for even coats.
Otherwise you are more then equiped to handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

For the color coat.
You can also attmept it if you have a few bucks to lose in the event you have problems with the base coat getting fisheyes, dirt nibs, cat stripes, or other airbourne problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Paw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

Hey guy's, Did we forget to use metal prep??
dupont 5717 Later Paw.........
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

yeah thats the same as veriprime metal etching primer
Flyer20200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

Thanks alot guys.

1. Dupont Etching Primer...good
2. High build Primer...good
3. Still need info on color coat...please help
4. Any reccomendations on equipment?(guns, compressor, etc...)
Thanks
Flyer20200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

O, also a filler, to get little little imperfections out. I want to put a whole coat over the car so it is as smooth as...well you know. THanks again
Flyer20200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

One more thing...any online sites, or chain stores that are good for paint and equipment. If you know a local chain, I live in SW Florida. Thanks again, i'll keep the questions in one message next time.
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Primin' a bug... Reply with quote

Ok now your talking wrong! lol
No filler over the whole car! Use the high build primer and lay on about 4 coats and guide coat it after it dries and block it smooth, apply another coat of primer and wet block it smooth. If you wanted you could apply one last coat or in spots where needed.
For the Color Coat info, this is your base coat. Dependant on the color and transparency you should only need about 3-4 coats of color. maybe as little as 2-3. I like to get atleast 3 to assure the color does not fad. For the final coat of clear you will also want about 4 coats of clear. you can sand after a couple coats if you have alot of dirt or other problems in your clear ( big Fly) lol. When purchaisng your clear get a good clear that is not yellowish especially on a white base coat. Omni from PPG is pretty good stuff for the price.
The most important part of a final paint job is the way you take care of the paint after it is applied. Hit up your local body paint shop. Some Body shops will even sell you supplies.
As for a gun I would see if you can possibly rent one or take one out as a loner from the paint supply store. Devilbus makes really nice guns, sata jets are nice. I have Matteson IQ Pressure Pot with a Clear cup and air nozzle and a Base cup. (different sizes)
You can use a cheap inexpensive paint gun for the primer. I would stick with a 1.8-2.0 tip ranges fro the primer.
Oh yeah make sure you use a sealer on top of the primer and before the base coat of color.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: