Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gerson reproduction metal for type 3s (pans, rockers etc...)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Gerson reproduction metal for type 3s (pans, rockers etc...) Reply with quote

I have spoken with Gerson of Klassicfab ( www.klassicfab.com ) about possible reproducing some type 3 sheetmetal parts. His response was that if he could get ahold of the parts to make patterns and if there was enough demand to make it worth wile then he would be willing.

I first thought of pan halves and rocker/heater channels. I have late heater channels I would be willing to let him use but someone needs to come up with a decent pan.

Would we have enough interest in this? How about other parts to be reproduced.
Check out his web site and see the quality of his work. I cannot answer questions on pricing ,but I will direct him to this thread.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC

Last edited by BryanM on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMHO, but the biggest problem is that Type 3 folks are notoriously cheap. It's not because we have to be, it's because our cars aren't worth the money other VWs are. I took a quick look at his site and saw some of his prices. $125 for a battery section? Most Type 3 owners won't spend that much for a floor pan half. I know, because I've tried to sell a few of them. It's been talked about and beat to death, but until our cars are worth what split busses are, we're not going to put out the big bucks.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
97gase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if our cars would be worth more if parts were as available as bug stuff. A lot of Type 3's get looked over for bugs because of the lack of parts. There might be more interest if people knew they could always get new channels, pans, etc. I'm hesitant to invest in some of my cars because of rust that probably will never be properly fixed. My squareback has Ghia pans that I paid the shop extra to make work in a Type 3. So the extra money could have gone to buy a pricier pan to begin with and the end result would be better as well. I don't live near California where Type 3's are blessed so I would pay a reasonable price for parts. I'll start saving my pennies. "If you build it they will come."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aveyinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. They probably would be worth more if it was easier to get replacement parts.

I think they have been getting more popular within the year I have been here... and on that other website, they are getting a much higher (lower) status.

I'm getting ready to pay about $200 for pan halves, and another $200 for seats... and I'm okay with it, but would almost prefer "new" pans where I wasn't going to have to do repairs, even for more money.

Just like electronics, once something has been bought enough and it is worth it to be in production... prices will drop.

GHOSTWAGENS!
WOMAN with short dirty nails!
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that type 3 owners are cheap, sure some are but that is true with other car owners as well. I think if we were truly cheap then we would own a bug instead, they ar eso much easier. I think 97gase hit the nail on the head. If you could actually buy parts for our cars then more people would be willing to buy a project car. I know where there are several decent projects but why bother when I only have enough spare parts to fix the ones I have. I just sold 2 pans for $300 each, both needed repairs but were better than the alternative of having to custom make panhalves. I have known plenty of type 3 owners who spent alot of money having crap fabricated or sourcing donor metal only to have to dismantle and refurbish the donor metal.

Some of Gersons parts seem high, but not when compared to the time you put in fixing the junk parts other suppliers sell. I have used Gersons metal parts and they are top notch, they actually fit and look good.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't sell a complete pan for $250 (i know russ, i know) so selling pan halves for that is gonna be rough. i'm with notchback on this one... in general the vw crowd is frugal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe start with quarters instead of full pans? Heater channels would be good too. Maybe rear aprons.

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
aveyinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hell then, whos got a full pan near me in AZ?
The pans I'm trying to get are in Oregon.

Show me the pans!
...and lowbacks.

I'll help you folks get rid of them!

Sorry, don't mean to steal the thread. I just get so tired of hearing about all this good metal laying around that no one wants! Laughing

GHOSTWAGENS!
WOMAN with short dirty nails!
djporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any in Texas ill buy them. I had a guy cut up a SB for the pans and i cant get ahold of him now, its been 4-5 months.

I got the cash and a hole in my floor.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
i can't sell a complete pan for $250 (i know russ, i know) so selling pan halves for that is gonna be rough. i'm with notchback on this one... in general the vw crowd is frugal.

A complete pan is almost impossible to ship. The ones I sold were picked up , One by a guy in Ohio and one went to a guy in SC. Halves are shippable therefore seen as more accessible. Frugal yes, cheap no, there is a difference.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
97gase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap means that you buy junk because you don't want to spend the money. Frugal means that you drink water instead of coke so you can save up for a more expensive good part that you only have to buy once.

I would rather save up and buy new pans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird!

We all pay hundreds of dollars for Tachs, visors and who knows what but we back out on commiting to buy something we all need, Floor pans. I speak for my self. Had anyone offered these before I had found a super nice pan. I would have paid $200.00 for decent original looking floor sections.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Anniehum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pms.serrano wrote:
That's weird!

We all pay hundreds of dollars for Tachs, visors and who knows what but we back out on commiting to buy something we all need, Floor pans. I speak for my self. Had anyone offered these before I had found a super nice pan. I would have paid $200.00 for decent original looking floor sections.

I paid a lot more than $200 to have my pan done one half at a time as I could afford it and I was damned glad to do it. I would have gladly paid $200 but that was then and this is now.
There are plenty of folks who need good pan sections.
Cheers
blackdog1999 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Type 3 detectives sell complete steel pan halfs already? They are 195 english pounds. Corey
Cool

http://beta.truegarage.com/t3d/products.asp?type=parts_big.gif&catNo=6&typeID=1
jw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the statement that if more parts were available for these cars, people may 'stick around' a little longer, thus the popularity of the car will increase. Especially as the cost of split busses continue to rise and people are looking for more room than a bug, but at a cost far less then a bus. As this trend grows and type 3s become fewer and farther between, but yet more cost effect than a bus, it could drive the value of the cars up. It's a possibility.
Also, if Gerson were to produce these, and have a dealer in the U.S., that would be one step above the T3D. AND, if two manufacturer's were producing, we all know what some healthy competition can do.

jw
wolfman's brother
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can think of a dozen guys here including myself who have been on the type 3 scene for a decade or better,hell I had my 1st notch at the age of 16 back in CA 1989.the uniqueness of our cars is what seperates us from the rest,that's why I say "any boy can build a bug but it takes a man to own a type 3" you don't hear the EARLY split bug or the lucky few heb guys or romstech owners complaining do you? anybody thats considered buying a type 3 has(hopefully)considered what parts cost for 'em.

that being said,I MYSELF would love to see somebody repop the hard to get pieces,T3D already has metal pan halves but they are $$ Shocked glad I don't need any right now.
62shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackdog1999 wrote:
Doesn't Type 3 detectives sell complete steel pan halfs already? They are 195 english pounds. Corey
Cool

http://beta.truegarage.com/t3d/products.asp?type=parts_big.gif&catNo=6&typeID=1

$379.25 each side plus international shipping cost Shocked
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New sheet metal for a T-3 would be great. And would increase the value of our cars. I bought 1 set of pans from Neil, and now have decided to make my 71 a donor car to fix my Ghia. Oonce this was known, I have been flooded with requests for parts off the 71.
You want to look for exspensive parts, try buying parts for a T-34.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to reiterate what a few others have hinted at: I think a lot of people would prefer buying new repro T3 pan halves made by Gerson (assuming they were available) rather than chasing after a salvaged original pan of possibly questionable condition in some remote corner of the country. I think to say "I have a Type 3 pan for sale and can't find any takers" and conclude that new pan sections won't sell is misreading the market. I for one don't need a complete pan and don't have room for one. If Gerson offered a repro of the rear half of the right side I would buy one tomorrow. Let's jump-start this project and get them into production.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
I want to reiterate what a few others have hinted at: I think a lot of people would prefer buying new repro T3 pan halves made by Gerson (assuming they were available) rather than chasing after a salvaged original pan of possibly questionable condition in some remote corner of the country. I think to say "I have a Type 3 pan for sale and can't find any takers" and conclude that new pan sections won't sell is misreading the market. I for one don't need a complete pan and don't have room for one. If Gerson offered a repro of the rear half of the right side I would buy one tomorrow. Let's jump-start this project and get them into production.

i agree whole heartedly. i havnt seen too many of us that need an entire new pan, just sections. my pan is pretty bad in the fasty and yet it only needs a quarter pan. i had to go and buy pretty much an entire pan just to replace that one section! and he did mention rocker panels and heater channels, which IMO are even harder to come by. if you build it, they will come.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: