Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

Bumping this thread hoping to get some opinions on installing a subhatch forward ceiling panel.

I've installed ceiling panels on an SO-42 with success, but a subhatch panel has a very thin strip of wood along the front side of the hatch.

I have seen others suggest cutting the subhatch hole after installing the panel to prevent breaking. That seems like a PITA and cutting the opening before hand would be preferable.

For those that have installed a new ceiling panel, how did things go?

Did the thin strip break while putting it in?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

I found it easier to install than the tin top version; it is more flexible.
You might test install the panel and mark from above where the subhatch hole is. Then remove it, cut the subhatch hole, finish and then re-install.

The re-veneered ceiling panel for the 56 was 4 layers with more glue, so less flexible and more difficult in spite of the subhatch hole. But no breakage.

IMO this is a two person job.

ps install cab roof panels first.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I found it easier to install than the tin top version; it is more flexible.
You might test install the panel and mark from above where the subhatch hole is. Then remove it, cut the subhatch hole, finish and then re-install.

The re-veneered ceiling panel for the 56 was 4 layers with more glue, so less flexible and more difficult in spite of the subhatch hole. But no breakage.

IMO this is a two person job.

ps install cab roof panels first.
Cool, glad to hear it should be less difficult; that doesn't happen very often. I was more worried about the strip breaking more than anything, especially after taking the time to apply several coats of finish.
Test fitting and marking the hatch opening is a good idea; especially b/c I had to rely on measurements only; I did not have that original panel to copy.

I had another look at your 56 thread and you mentioned the hatch hinge pins should be a tight fit in the bows holes.

My hinge pins are not a tight fit in my bows; Is this going to be a problem, possibly with the hatch flopping around when it is opened/closed?
I thought about either gluing in some wood dowels, and drilling new holes or using a sleeve of some kind to compensate for the larger hole. Maybe it's not that big a deal?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

I had another look at your 56 thread and you mentioned the hatch hinge pins should be a tight fit in the bows holes.

My hinge pins are not a tight fit in my bows; Is this going to be a problem, possibly with the hatch flopping around when it is opened/closed?
I thought about either gluing in some wood dowels, and drilling new holes or using a sleeve of some kind to compensate for the larger hole. Maybe it's not that big a deal?

Well, if you are re-using your old bows I'm sure the old holes are a bit fatter. It probably doesn't matter since you will be snugging it down once everything is in. The top in my 56 was floppy when un latched.... until the restoration with new wood bows, and we put over 20K miles on it that way. FWIW. It is much less drafty now. Very Happy
I do worry about trying to seal the hinge pins up top. That is a problem area for leakage and water damage to the ceiling. Maybe water seal the top side of that panel around the subhatch, too. ?
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

When I put my roof in I cut the subhatch panel out when the roof was in stalled. I used a vibrating cutter, made by dremel.

Popping that panel in and out is a pita and id worry about breaking it, especially the thin strip just behind the fresh air duct.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

i made mistake of installing then marking, then removing it to cut with a dremel and a uni directional blade, and put it back in and cra ked it!!! i was that close to getting it to pop in...the dremel cut awesome those vibrating cutters work awesome without tearing thr eood like a jigsaw would
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hatch Top Westfalia interior headliner wood questions/tips Reply with quote

Bummer you broke that front strip.

I installed, marked, and cut my successfully by myself, but had a friend help with the final install w/o breaking that strip. A cut-off wheel and a jigsaw with a metal blade gets the job done. I taped up my cut line on the backside to prevent chip-out. Like Clara suggested above it's a 2 person job after the hole is cut; good advice. I don't believe I would have managed to get it in w/o breaking the strip by myself.

I slide the d/s of that panel in first, making sure it was completely pushed down into the slot, then manipulated the p/s in while bending the panel down in the center. Important to remember to have both sides all the way in the slots before trying to push the thin strip piece into place.

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: