Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much paint?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Painting my 67 type 2 inside and out no headliner or interior panels so all paint.
How much paint will be required (approx)

thanks

s
thayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

I'm assuming that you are painting a bus and not a single cab or double cab when I tell you that you'll prob need 1 gallon, but that also depends on what brand you buy and if the gun you are using has a regulator or not.. To be safe, buy a gallon and use a reputable paint..

Thayer
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Depends on the type of paints too. I can only tell you for sure about single stage acrylic enamels as that is what I prefer to shoot.
I use PPG Delstar (DAR) with a urethane hardener additve.
1 gallon paint mixes with approx 3/4 gallon reducer and and the pint of hardner this equals almost 2 gallons of mixed paint.

Most all single stage acrylics mix similar, PPG also makes a less expensive grade called 'OMNI', still a fairly good product especially at the price, just make sure you get and add the urethane wet look hardner... I have also shot dupont Centauri and Sherwin Williams, all pretty much the same...
I used to use this entire amount (saved a little for touch ups) on just a bug or ghia!... but I paint 3 very wet coats on all exterior and 2 coats on interior doors/jambs and under hood and decklid.

But that was with a convetional spray gun.
I just recently got a HVLP and notice the difference in the priming I have been doing on 3 cars currently in the works, I am using less, maybe 20-25%. I have sprayed a pair of doors and a fender for a guy, the only top coat I have use it on so far.

Buses are alot bigger so I would say get 1 quart to 1/2 gallon more just in case. I might myself even buy 2 gallons! but that's just me and I know my technique requires ALOT of paint. Plus you do not want to get mostly done and run out or have to get a remix at a later date that may not match.

Then again it depends on who is spraying, what kind of equipment/expereince and space they are using. Some peoples Idea of a paint job is one coat, if the color looks even... they quit. I prefer to have a heavier/(but not to heavy)layer to work with for long term wear/ buffing and waxing.

good luck!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Not to mention the transparency of the color you choose and the sealer which you apply it over. Go to your jobber have them spray a test panel with the color your gonna use and see how many coats it takes to hide.
Like Keifer said when using a single stage paint and you color sand you loose color between coats when you sand and buff it off.
I would stick with single stage your first go around that way during your Base coat stage you can see how much color you will be using and in the event you may need to go buy another 2qts or something you are that much closer to finishing instead of waiting and spending more cash in the long run. Not to mention it is much easier to match base clear then single stage textures and colors incase of a panel repaint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

I might add that another thing about single stage is that if you have a nice heavy 3 coat job like I do and you do get any runs or other mishaps in the paint like Kosmic pointed out you can color sand to get them out. Also it can be covered with clear if you so desire, it may be more expensive than a basecoat but I have done 'Pearl" additives in PPG catalized clear over the same acrylic enamel. talk about a serious shiney and Heavy duty paint job!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreaky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

I just sprayed a 62 inside and out. PPG single stage (DCC) it was a gallon of paint, two quarts reducer, and a quart of hardner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

a gallon mixed or what? How is the single stage looking?
Single is alot harder for the first timers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

hey i recently painted my bus inside and out. i bought 2 gallons of dupont centari single stage. i got 3 coats on all inside surfaces and 4 coats on the outside. i have 2 quarts left over, which is a good thing incase something happens down the road i will have some perfectly matched touchup paint.

if your painting the bus in multiple stages i reccomend trying to paint all times at near the same outside temp.

i also went so far as to mix my two gallons up together so i knew all my paint would be dead on. they will mix gallons seperatly so there can be slight variances in color.

also my bus is a 67 westy and was all one color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreaky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

It was a gallon of paint plus the reducers and stuff. I find that the single stages are easy to spray for beginners (teaching highschool autobody I see lots of em) Clear is hard to see and can look like $hit if put on incorectly. Single stage (good quality not Centari or Omni) works awesome. On the third coat mix 1/2 single stage with 1/2 clearcoat. It will look like a million bucks. I'll send a pic of the 62
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

whats wrong with centari? it was highly reccomended to me and i have used it for my last 3 cars and they have all looked really nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Hey rizzag, got a question for you. What was the total cost of your paint, including primer(s)? I'll be re-finishing my bay window in several months & plan to use Centari finish, (single color.)
I had my bug sprayed with Centari AE a year and a half ago & it looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

if my memory is correct $100 primer+$80 centari hardener +$60 centari reducer +2 gallons centari at $140 per gallon so right around $520, this is just a rough guess but im sure its very close.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Yeah, the "real deal" single stage acrylic's like PPG Delstar and Centauri have really gotten high priced the last few years.
Omni is cheaper but I don't have a problem with the way it looks, I can spray them all the same... SHINEY! LOL! it's just the durability that is an issue with me.
I have had Delstar and Centauri, SW ect all last (and stay shiney with proper care, even come back from oxidization) for 5-8 years or more. Jury is still out on the OMNI as I have only used it a few times in the last 2-3 years and not on my own cars, and the ones I sprayed are out of the area.
The paint guru at the supply place says it's just a lower grade of pigments and such and is popular with the "used car lot" crowd!

Makes me laugh hard when people want me to do a "500-750 dollar paintjob" on their car!
I say... " that won't even cover the cost of the materials!" Go to MAACO, you get what you pay for...

Spring for the good stuff if you can....
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

WEll Said Keifernet,(maaco)

I sprayed some scallops on my car in like 96, in PPG omni. I never took care of the paint with wax of polish. Not to mention I only thru on one coat of clear. I was testing the paint and in 2001 before I got rid of the best the paint only oxidized on the hoood mostly from engine heat.
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

I'm doing a 1970 Single Cab (inside and out) and I'm into my 3rd gallon. everything is done except the gates. The storage compartment under the bed really took the paint . . .
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Guys

thanks for all your feedback here in Oz everything is metric and I have just had delivered 8 Litres of Dupont Centari with 5 Lt of thiners and 5 Lt of activator.
Dupont is not widely used here and is a premium price A$735 for the above!
I had problems sourcing centari in silver white for the bumpers and rims and had to source this in a PPG brand.
My painter did suggest mixing some clearcoat to the final coat of colour although my paint supplier advised this is not neccessary.
Here on in OZ uv is really bad - it was suggested the clear may extra some extra longevity to the finish?
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

You should have said you were not in the US! LOL!

5l of activator??? that sounds weird...
UV is not a problem if you are using the
"urethane hardener" additive.

Are you sure what you got is an acrylic enamel? Why diddn't you go with PPG all around ?...if it was cheaper than centauri I would have definatly gone with it...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Yeah forget that guys use imperial - and drive on the wrong side of the road! LOL!
Even the 1 litre of PPG cost $80 W/O activator etc so the Dupont wasa similiar price.
Cheaper brands here include debeer although supposedly not sucha good product.
The paint is a 2 pak type the description on my invoice says "dmix 5002k gp/a 4LT"
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: How much paint? Reply with quote

Then that is prolly not acrylic enamel... so it is a catalized type... I would say that should be very tough and hold up well to UV... IMO clear coat has more trouble with UV than others... I am in TX and it gets VERY hot here too and near the coast and all the POLLUTION in my area paints take a beatin...
Good luck with it all and if your near the ocean, go take a surf for me! lucky bastard!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: