Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need your input
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: I need your input Reply with quote

I need your help, folks.

Bucko got me thinking last week about a "best threads" sticky, a listing of all of the best T3s ( topics, tips and techniques) in one convenient place. I started to work on it, and realized that i had a problem- editing. what is "best" to me, may not be "best" to you, and vice versa, and then we end up with a sticky that satisfies no one and does nothing. so, here's where you come in.

Let me know what threads YOU think should be included. Again, my thanks to all of you for making this place work as well as it does.

And thanks again bucko, for the idea.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
honky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Stickys Reply with quote

Surely the most popular

Carb problems
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think between the "Resources" thread and the "What Do You Carry?" thread, there is a LOT of good info, provided one is willing to follow links and perhaps dig a little.

Off the top of my head, maybe a "Top Care/Who Makes the Best Tops" sticky would be good. Most of the other stuff is generic Type I questions, when you get down to it. Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts interchange would be my choice of topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a “Best Threads” Sticky solely dedicated to the wealth of knowledge provided to us by vwthingrcer.

ok, its not exactly useful but its great for a good laugh. (sorry I hate to be mean but I just cant help myself)
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of the other forums I frequent here on TheSamba (Vanagon/Eurovan), they take threads that addressed how to fix a problem (I.E. replacing dash with newer unit, certain engine repairs, best links to sites for parts, and so on).

For some ideas, take a look at that forum's "stickies" to see what they did.

We have some duplicated questions here from time to time, and usually the answers come in the form of a hot link to that answer several days (or months) ago. Some of those recent examples would be: Poor idle (what are the causes), What rims will fit my Thing, will a Beetle front axle fit my Thing, What CV joints will work with my Thing, and those sorts of topics.

Another useful stickie could be parts interchangeability put together by Kubalman.

Most of the ideas above are good ones too (except for the joke).

Thanks for taking this on.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
addh79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Be Aware Things Unlimited Mike Basso CROOK!!! FRAUD Reply with quote

MIKE BASSO

things unlimeted

This should be it!!!

UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES
wantvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a suspension lift? Something covering (forgive the dorky expression) mild to wild? Just got my first Thing this weekend, and I would like to raise it a bit......
Robbie
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Be Aware Things Unlimited Mike Basso CROOK!!! FRAUD Reply with quote

addh79 wrote:
MIKE BASSO

things unlimeted

This should be it!!!

UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES

Every post on this site has you referencing Mike. You have an attraction to him? It's getting a bit old my friend. Try to move on, and leave the posts pertaining to useful Thing subjects alone.

addh79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Aware Things Unlimited Mike Basso CROOK!!! FRAUD Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
addh79 wrote:
MIKE BASSO

things unlimeted

This should be it!!!

UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES

Every post on this site has you referencing Mike. You have an attraction to him? It's getting a bit old my friend. Try to move on, and leave the posts pertaining to useful Thing subjects alone.

If you dont like it dont read it! Move on my friend just scroll down....scrolll down... BM
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Aware Things Unlimited Mike Basso CROOK!!! FRAUD Reply with quote

addh79 wrote:
bucko wrote:
addh79 wrote:
MIKE BASSO

things unlimeted

This should be it!!!

UPDATES UPDATES UPDATES

If you dont like it dont read it! Move on my friend just scroll down....scrolll down... BM

Kind of hard to ignore you and your unhelpful tripe when you smear it all over the place. Rolling Eyes

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a banjo forum and some guy actually asked if anyone knew of Mike Basso. Rolling Eyes

It gets real old a long time ago, now it's just irritating.

I'm looking for my gif of beating a dead horse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do it you will have to decide--no way around it.

Personaly, I think it may be a duplicaton of search function and thus not worth the effort.

Who is MIKE BASSO
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Thingggg on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:21 am; edited 2 times in total
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsehendo34 wrote:
If you do it you will have to decide--no way around it.

Personaly, I think it may be a duplicaton of search function and thus not worth the effort.

Who is MIKE BASSO Laughing

Stickies appear at the top of each forum; they would have a descriptive title (each one), and would allow a user to avoid perhaps a lengthy search on these subjects.

Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said it would not be off much use to me, because I would tend to use the search function. All others may feel different?

I was also encouraging him he should go ahead and make some decisions on his own—sort off the old lead the way speech.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I need your input Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
I need your help, folks.

Bucko got me thinking last week about a "best threads" sticky, a listing of all of the best T3s ( topics, tips and techniques) in one convenient place. I started to work on it, and realized that i had a problem- editing . . .

Not only is choosing the topics difficult, but picking the threads as well. Many times there will be a pearl of wisdom nestled into an otherwise unremarkable or obnoxious thread. Sometimes valuable information is found in a thread with a misleading or irrelevant title.

I agree that the best-thread-sticky idea won't make finding information any easier than the search function. If there are threads which are more entertaining, or sentimental, or show off the character of our little community, they might be worthy of a best threads sticky. You can't do a search for that type of stuff.

BLJ, if you would permit me to add a little zag to your zig:
Generally, for the purposes we are discussing, a tech article compilation might be more effective - a wiki of posts, perhaps, or just some text which draws upon and summarizes the wisdom of our little group while filtering out some of the - er - idiosyncrasies.

I'm a member of another forum of Mercedes G-wagen enthusiasts. One of the members solicited others to send him photos of their non-stock wheels, to measure the offset, bolt pattern, etc. and then he compiled it all into a table. This went a long way to putting the redundant and age old question of "what wheels will fit" to rest. It's a really great resource and shows how effectively the collective knowledge of a community can be put to use.

Other candidates for topics might be suspension lowering, off-road mods, carburetor choice, alternate seats, parts interchange - all the usual suspects. The important aspect is that in each case, the information is gathered in a systemized way, with all respondents including a set of relevant details in their replies. So when a guy posts "I'm running XYZ wheels on mine" the ancillary questions all get answered, like "What size tires are on those wheels?" or "Do they rub the fenders?" or "Does that wheel tire combo only fit if your car's lifted?"

Does that make any sense?

Last edited by Captain Spalding on Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of the sticky. If for nothing else it may deter newbies from posting the often asked questions that they could have read if they had only scrolled down and looked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I need your input Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
BLJ, if you would permit me to add a little zag to your zig:
Generally, for the purposes we are discussing, a tech article compilation might be more effective - a wiki of posts, perhaps, or just some text which draws upon and summarizes the wisdom of our little group while filtering out some of the - er - idiosyncrasies.

This is one of the reasons why I created VeeWiki so long ago:

http://veewiki.com

The Thing section is under... TheThing:

http://veewiki.com/TheThing

For those that don't know, a wiki allows ANYONE to write and edit the web page. You don't have to know any HTML - if you know how to post here, you can quickly learn to write in the wiki. If you want to write an article about your left-handed whosit and how it works on your Thing, make up a page name:
http://veewiki.com/TheThing/LeftHandedWhosit
Then go to that page and you can create it! Simple! If Joe comes along later and sees that you mis-spelled "dammed" he can easily fix it to "damned" by double-clicking the page and changing the word. If Fred comes along and sees that you left out a section about how the whosit can also make toast, he can add it. If Dork comes along a erases the entire thing and writes "Thigns Sux!" anyone can undo his change and go to an older version of the page.

You can create your own home page by coming up with a "CamelCase" name (CamelCase is any two (or more) capitalized words run together - TheThing, LeftHandedWhosit, FredJones - in the wiki, any CamelCase is automatically turned into a link). My home page is http://veewiki.com/IanEpperson . You can also create a log in so that created pages and edits can be attributed to you, and to allow the site to e-mail you if a page you are "watching" changes.

Here's the page on Thing-only parts:
http://veewiki.com/TheThing/ThingOnlyParts

And, I took this (with permission by the original author) excellent info from a Samba post:
http://veewiki.com/TheThing/ThingOnlyParts/FrontEnd

Kubelmann used to write articles, and still maintains his disk brake conversion page:
http://veewiki.com/K-mann_4_wheel_brake_conversion

The Wiki has a good search function and can create an auto index of all Thing articles if you add anywhere on your page the word: CategoryThing
You can see every page with that word on it by going to this link:
http://veewiki.com/CategoryThing

When I was first starting to look around the web about VW engines, I came across a bunch of sites with typos, sites that were never updated, sites that said "send me updates and I'll try to mix them in here" etc. All this is avoided with a wiki. Also, the Things List always answered the same questions over and over. If you write a wiki page, then you can answer the question with a quick link insead of a long post. If the info changes (for instance, Things Utd isn't the best place for parts anymore) you can quickly and easily change it.

Whew, I need to write this up in a wiki page. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added this info and much more to the "Whats a Wiki" page:

http://veewiki.com/WhatsAWiki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, has the "stickie" suggestion been dropped here on his site?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: