Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autotechnik KG Express kit for 40HP motor?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Autotechnik KG Express kit for 40HP motor? Reply with quote

Did they (Autotechnik KG) make a kit for the 40HP motors? I did a search and found some nice threads on the Autotechnik kits but looking through the pictures on the 36HP motors, mine looks little different. The center section on mine holds the fuel filter and it seams to have used nylon braid rubber hose instead of the metal lines. The metal line that usually runs from the top of the pump into the filter, is not there on mine, it seems to be a hose that goes into it from the side rather then the bottom. Also the manifolds look slightly different. Mine is without heat risers and the linkage mount directly to the manifolds. I don't have the carbs but the bolt distance seems to fit a 28PICT or 30PICT. Anybody know what belongs on there? I'll post some pictures later. Any info would be appreciated...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: some pictures Reply with quote

Ok I got some pictures of the parts.
Obviously it is Autotechnik...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The manifold detail, looks like some-one strarted to smooth out the rough casting or maybe it came like that.

Notice the location of the filter...

another view of the bracket and filter.

This is how the bracket sits on a motor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: found some info on them... Reply with quote

So far I have only found that they were available for 25 and 36HP motors but the fuel filter location is different. I found this in a site in Germany

2x Solex 28PCI carbs
Venturi 21.5mm
Main Jet 105
Air Correction jet 200
Idle jet 50
Idle air jet 1.2
mix jet 8
injection pump ammount .25 - .30 ccm

Apparently they made a kit using the 32 PBIC solex as well just like the ones Okrasa was using. From what I founs in another site, you used to get the kit with 1 additional carb and jets to modify the carb that was on the vehicle already, interesting...they also came with normal air cleaners and for an extra 5DM, you got the oil-bath cleaners.
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well from what I have seen so far on other Autotechnik kits, parts of the linkage don't appear to be original to me. They are quite crude compared to some of the photos of some 36HP set-ups I have seen. The built quality isn't there. The crossbar and the center section with the express kit maybe correct. One of the banjo fittings appears as to have been cut. The feed line to the filter could have been made of tubing feeding from a 40HP pump that had the threaded outlet and at some point some-one possibly cut it to install a newer replacement pump that didn't have the threaded outlet. That would explain why it appears cut. On the outlet of the filter to the carbs, they look like barb fittings, which seems odd that Autotechnik would go from the previous system using all tubing to barb fittings, hoses and clamps if this is indeed a kit for a 40HP motor...Hmmm. Would this mean also that if it indeed a 40HP kit the carbs would be 28PICT? This would explain the barb fittings and hose issue since 28PICT were not threaded for fittings if I remember correctly.
I have not come across any manifolds that look like mine yet. Dietz, Speedwell, Autotechnik and Okrasa that I have seem look different.
This has me thinking about building a 40HP dual carb motor just for kicks.
It would be correct in my 66 which means I have to get another bug to put it in...maybe a Ghia?
rloaircool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, that is a cool setup. How much do those usually go for complete? (ballpark)
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I wish I had a 36 or 40HP motor to put them on to figure out how he linkage goes and fabricate whatever is missing.
To tell you the truth, I have no idea how much they go for. I have never seen one for sale, not to say that they are not available, I just haven't seen them.
Going by how much a good restored/rebuilt 28PCI carb goes for, about $130, and the rarety of them, I would be surprised if they fetch 300 to 500 in really nice shape. But I'm just guessing here.
I'm going to keep researching to see wether there actually was a 40HP kit.
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Well, I have done more digging and realized something, later model 36HP engine have the top mounted fuel pump as well so I guess technically it could very well be a 36HP kit for early 60s beetles and Karman Ghias. I have yet to find concrete information regarding the manifolds. I'm assuming they are auotechnik but there is no markings on them whatsoever.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad someone couldn't just make the manifolds, for use with Berg, or CB linkage setups, using a couple of 28 PCIs...get the ol' 36er going. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
Too bad someone couldn't just make the manifolds, for use with Berg, or CB linkage setups, using a couple of 28 PCIs...get the ol' 36er going. Confused

I was actually thinking about something like that, I was considering using these manifolds as "masters" if you will, and have a local foundry cast them.
I knew some-one that did that a few years back and he needed to comit to a certain quantity. I do remember that a good percentage of them were not usable because of problems with the castings but it wasn't too bad either.
As far as linkage, I think there is a few that can be made to work...
They wouldn't have the cool Express filter but I guess there may be something else that could be used. Something to think about...
I wonder how many people would be willing to buy something like that? You could even use 30PICT carbs to make it cheaper and that way you can use new carbs.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could even use 30PICT carbs to make it cheaper and that way you can use new carbs.
I like the 28s due to the lack of the electric choke, but in a 40hp car with no choke cable...they should do ok.
Make both versions please. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 Käfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the manifolds should be the same since the stud separation on both carbs is identical. I held a 30 up to it and it fits, I just need to check to make sure the throttle plate clears. I'm seriosly going to look into it and see wether it is cost effective. I thinks it's going to end up costing as much as a set of dual Weber 34ICTs but then again if I manage to put it together like a "vintage" set-up ther may be a market for it... even if it was just the manifolds and linkage.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know if tyhe manifolds for the 40 hp express kit ever got produced?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone made repo's of these 40hp manifolds for the express kit?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Autotechnik KG Express kit for 40HP motor? Reply with quote

Looking for more information on the 40HP Express kits.

I have a center section and linkage thats similar to the one shown above, but it's incomplete and missing manifolds.

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Autotechnik KG Express kit for 40HP motor? Reply with quote

Bumping this thread seeking any and all information I can gather on the 40hp Autotechnik kits.

Anyone reproduce any of these parts now?

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: