Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought my first thing!!!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wantvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Bought my first thing!!! Reply with quote

Hi...I just bought my first thing this weekend. It belonged to a good friend that I pestered for about six years to sell me. It's been sitting in the basement of his barn for about 8 years. Pics are after the first bath. The paint unfortunately is crap....but I don't think it was much better when it was sprayed. Very solid with the exception of a small hole on each rocker, and has never been hit. It has a nice rollbar, and came with an extra top frame that looks like it has never been on a car. I has a horrible set of blue vinyl seats that look like they came out of a mid 80s GMC truck or something. They are being "disposed" of this weekend and will be replaced with a set of Celica GT seats until I can afford a pair of nice off-road seats. I have the Holley Bugspray carb off now and I am gonna rebuild it as soon as my kit gets here.
I've rambled enough and have probably bored you if you got this far Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hope the pics show up.....lemme know what I screwed up if they don't!
Robbie
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(pics came through OK)

Congratulations! Looks like a good starting point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice score! (Be thankful there isn't rust under that "crap" paint, and you can just paint over it.) Wink

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba.
Your top looks to be in good shape, if the back window is dis-colored you can have the window changed out. We never tire of reading about Things here. Type on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Thing. Thanks for saving another one from "storage".

Looks to be in very good shape. Enjoy it, and welcome to the Thing forum.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
wantvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....I'm not gonna paint it for awhile....just gonna fix the rust, make it safe and drive it for awhile.
I might lift it a bit....
Seems like a nice bunch of people here!
Robbie
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wantvws wrote:
I might lift it a bit....

I think it may already be lifted a bit. Those tires look larger than stock and the center of the wheels seem about 1-2" lowher than the bottom of the pan. Looks like the rear wheels extend outside the rear fenders - The Thing Shop sells wider fiberglass fenders to fix that when your ready.

That exhaust system looks like an old Thing Shop model as well - I had the same one on my car when I first got it. It's hard to set the valves with it, but possible - I bought one of those cheap angled screwdrivers and cursed a lot.

Those wipers look really clean! They may be Basso's old "Wipas" - and if so, they should last 10 years. You can't get those anymore, but other places sell shorter life replacements for a pretty penny.

Looks like the top is rolled back off the front bow on the right side. Careful with that - don't want to tear it.

wantvws wrote:
Seems like a nice bunch of people here!

Thing'ers tend to be a nice bunch wherever they meet. "Hoodride" is a good term to describe Things - we don't drive them because they're beautiful, we drive them because they're FUN to drive!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottienoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. It looks like they used the same rattle can that my PO used. I am going to paint mine probably next year, but picked up some extra cans to do touch up til then. It was Rust-oleum cobalt blue metallic # 7251.
wantvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...the top was put on wrong at the front. it looks like instead of riveting the top and folding it back over the rivets, they folded it and then riveted it....basically it captured water adn drained it into the header. But, I think it has been fixed with Liquid Nails Laughing
The header is rusted a bit, but I do have another top frame...I'll swap 'em out when I buy a new top.
I think the rear suspension may have been turned up a notch, but I'm not sure. the front is stock.
The paint looks as though someone one did a really nice job laying down really bad paint over crappy prep. It's flaking everywhere inside. Dammit.
Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: