Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

I just purchased my first Porsche, a 1955 1500 Pre-A Continental. At some point, perhaps during its restoration in the 1980s, the original headlight buckets were replaced with a later style that accommodated sealed beam units. It was also converted to 12v. I want to take it back to its originality, but I don't know what headlamp buckets and lenses are proper for 1955 and especially if the US-specific "Continental" had lenses that were specific. I have seen a few different fluted lens styles with specific details, Bosch script, left hand drive specific lenses, etc. but I want to get the proper ones. I would appreciate it if anyone could post some photos of the proper buckets and lenses. My Swedish-delivery '56 Oval has a bulb unit with large reflector and fluted lens with VW logo at the top. I assume the Porsche would have similar, but specific to Porsche.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

Congrats on the Continental!

As I am sure you know, the Continentals were what US destined-only cars in 1955 were called, ROW cars were still "just" a Type 356. The headlights on US cars were sealed beams so it stands to reason your car was probably delivered with sealed beams. There is an entire Sticky thread on the Registry forum about headlight lenses/buckets where you might find your answer. I would also be happy to contact a friend of mine in Baltimore who is a walking pre-A encyclopedia, and he could certainly give you the answer. Let me know if you'd like to take me up on that and I will get you in touch with him.

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:

As I am sure you know, the Continentals were what US destined-only cars in 1955 were called, ROW cars were still "just" a Type 356. The headlights on US cars were sealed beams so it stands to reason your car was probably delivered with sealed beams. There is an entire Sticky thread on the Registry forum about headlight lenses/buckets where you might find your answer. I would also be happy to contact a friend of mine in Baltimore who is a walking pre-A encyclopedia, and he could certainly give you the answer. Let me know if you'd like to take me up on that and I will get you in touch with him.

Thanks for the heads up on the sticky in the Registry forum. I just signed up tonight and I'm navigating it. I just found the headlight sticky, so will read through it. But I want to learn as much as I can about what's proper for my car. Very happy if you were to connect me with your friend!

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

Kent, happy to help but you are in good hands now regarding the correct headlights. When reading the thread you will see responses from James Davies (Baltimore) and Jan Kolm (Colorado). Both are extremely knowledgeable about the subject. Email either one of them and they can help you with the details you are looking for.

Sebastian

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

Just for sharing as I'm not a member on the registry, maybe not so mutch an answer to the topic. This is for the euro "fluted" symmetric (and I can continue in to the asymmetric if some one needs it) Bosch headlights. Info taken from Bosch literature from the 50's up.

1955 (1951-1955) all models
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 "standard equipment" headlight and glass

"News from Bosch" november 1956. Glass LFE 28/10 sold as accessory for Porsche and vw if a long range high beam was wanted for fast driving on straight roads. (LFE 28/2 wider beam for curvy road driving).

1960 different headlights 49-60, and as comparison VW headlights.
Note that the asymmetric headlight was for driving on the left side of the road back then in Sweden.

1959 asymmetric headlight

Parts Diagram. The drawing is for all types of LE/YE 180.. headlights and might not be exact. The two main difference for vw/ porsche Early/pre -56 headlights was the use of different chrome ring and bulb holder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

This is from an Bosch news letter (for Bosch dealers) talking about fitting "Porsche light for VW". Starting to reference that Bosch a number of years ago made a new symmetric headlight glass developed for Porsche and specificly for Le Mans. This was also sold as a accessory for vw and had 40% longer high beam throw. (Note: This would be the LFE 28/10 headlight glass). After that Porsche as other models got asymmetric headlights. The Porsche headlight is based on VW but again got a glass with longer range high beam, 30% than the normal vw. Order number is 0 301 800 007 for the complete headlight.

Asymmetric headlights and parts on Porsche and vw (right Side on the road driving). (The ..007 headlight listed as option for vw).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Sebastian Gaeta wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the sticky in the Registry forum. I just signed up tonight and I'm navigating it. I just found the headlight sticky, so will read through it. But I want to learn as much as I can about what's proper for my car. Very happy if you were to connect me with your friend!

I'm interested to know what you find out so please post the information here.

I'm mostly curious if the Continentals had the "faded" oval sealed beam headlight lenses used on 54-55 VWs.
This:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

The 0 301 800 007 "Porsche asymmetric headlight" in my last post used the 1 305 614 027 glass also marked "4487" on the outside. I think this came out around mid 60's.

Unfortunatly the Bosch literature I have 61-66 doesn't list Porsche parts. But as noted in the 59 and 1960 literature porsche/vw in the beginning used the same asymmetric headlights. For driving on the right side this would have been LEFE 98 L 4 (1 305 604 080) glass. This glass had the 4430 on the outside. You can spot them as they have the fluted oval in the middle, just like symmetric headlights in addition to the "asymmetric fluting".

There is also a 1 305 614 026 glass with "4474" on it. I havn't found it in any of Swedish literature, but it almost looks like the "dual" asymmetrical headlights you could tune the light for LHD/RHD?

Parts for vw (I included a -66 list as it has both old/new Bosch part numbers and left "V" and "H" right side driving options).
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Sebastian Gaeta wrote:

I'm interested to know what you find out so please post the information here.

I'm mostly curious if the Continentals had the "faded" oval sealed beam headlight lenses used on 54-55 VWs.
This:

Yes, with the small Hella logo as pictured--1953-early 1956.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I got another call from the old gent who restored the car in the 80's tonight, asking if it had been delivered and how I liked it, yadda yadda. I told him about by desire to get the proper headlight buckets and lenses, along with the proper glass rear reflectors, and he said he thinks he has them in his stash along with the glass reflectors that came off this very car. He and his wire just left FL and are RV'ing through SC now and moving on westward soon. He said he will call me when he gets home to CO and looks through his stash. He also said I should make a list of anything else I may want that he may have or can get for me. REALLY?? Shocked. Owner's manual, maybe Smile

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

As it turns out I actually DO have the original headlight buckets. If they are not the original buckets somebody was crazy lucky to find two buckets with the same date stamp as March 1955 and my car was built in April of '55!

I attended a 356 only show in central Florida this past weekend, the Porsche 356 Florida Owner's Group's annual "Gathering of the Faithful." As rare as a '55 Continental is, I was THRILLED to find not only another '55 Continental in attendance, but a remarkably well preserved and HIGHLY ORIGINAL example at that! I got to see many, MANY original bits I have been wondering about, including the headlight lens. Well, here is the original!

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Pre-A Headlights and Lenses Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

This:

The photo Everett posted here is EXACTLY the same. Simple, clear glass with a small Hella logo at the bottom and a faint oval line in the center of the lens. Now I just need to find two in good shape!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: