Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crap... Carb Screw-Up
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Crap... Carb Screw-Up Reply with quote

Hi again,

In reassembling my Solex 34 PICT/3 carburator from my '73 Thing, I think I may have made a mistake along the way. In all the pictures I see both in books and on the internet, the stepped upper-body valve is always shown pointing straight up (as opposed to how it is in my photo, below).

When I depress the throttle valve lever, this stepped valve thingy wants to move clockwise, or down. This in turn closes the upper-body choke air valve. Again, this is shown in my picture below. To get the upper valve to open, I've got to depress (or turn counter-clockwise) the stepped thing, which goes against the choke heating element bimetallic spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a photo of the carb at rest, after depressing the throttle lever. Notice that the choke is closed, and won't open unless I physically turn it by pushing on the stepped lever thing attached to the choke valve.

Is this the correct assembly and operation of this carburator?

In a (probably) unrelated possible screw-up, I noticed that my accelerator pump adjustment screw assembly is located to the left of it's pivot point, and not to the right. I've seen photos with this assembly in both positions: is there a correct one?

[/img]
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, your reassembly is OK. The choke will be closed until 12 volts from the + side of the coil warms up the inside and opens it. It looks like you might have the choke set wrong. Loosen the 3 screws surrounding it and rotate it clock-wise until the choke opens. Then rotate it counter-clock-wise until it just closes and then some. The more you rotate it, the longer it will take for the choke to open. Most of us change this setting for winter and summer, but you folks in Guam... Do you even need a choke?
wings_n_fins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I've got the choke set now. Do you see the lever on the front of the choke that has a stepped contact for the throttle valve lever? In every other photo I find of this carb it always shows it pointing up, not to the right, like in mine. Is that wrong?

By the way, it does get chilly in Guam: just the other day it was 75 degrees outside. Brrr!
'09 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: