Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My lighting project (Pics)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: My lighting project (Pics) Reply with quote

Thought I would share my latest project. I bought 2 fluorescent fixtures from Arizona Wind and Sun, 8 Watt thin lights, $29. each. http://store.solar-electric.com/tl-171.html These seem to be the exact same ones I've seen others selling for $50. each. I had to remove the shelf over the galley to get access to the wiring:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thats my daily driver in the background, 93' Toyota truck, 250K miles, only thing I've done to it is replace the clutch and a power steering hose!

I moved the stock light, which is fitted with LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/comme...;next=50to the PAX side of the van so that at night I can reach in and have a light to turn on without getting into the van:

Here is the two new fixtures mounted over the galley, I positioned the switch on the forward light towards the driver so that I can reach back and turn on one of the lights from the drivers seat:

I tried to take one of those cool night photos that I've seen others take but it didn't come out that great:

Here's another view:

It was kind of a lot of work for what it was as I had to pull wire for the relocated stock light around the back of the van, though the body into the shelf area and then connect it all up. I left some wires in the rear so that I can add a light in the back so that when I open the hatch at night I have a light back there but I haven't decided what to use yet, any suggestions?

Thanks for checking it out!

Kevin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your messages....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
24inchstance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a hold of a few factory lights and installed them in these places..
[img]
[/img]
I use a red cinema gel over this one for night time submarine lighting. Great for when you wake up in the middle of the night or if youre twisting up a hogs leg and want to be incognito.

[img]

I put this in the back for reading and loading stuff in and out at night. Also shines directly over the engine compartment for nightime repairs.

[/img]

This ones on the inside of the sliding door. Cant believe there was never a light put here.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is the two new fixtures mounted over the galley, I positioned the switch on the forward light towards the driver so that I can reach back and turn on one of the lights from the drivers seat:

...and tear your rotator cuff. Careful. My father-in-law just did exactly that, reaching into the backseat while driving. He'll never row his cataraft again (which means I get it!).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job with the lights. I was thinking of getting a couple of simple battery powered LED lights and putting them in strategic places, like over the sink and rear hatch. This would be instead of pulling wire and taking the interior apart. Given how few hours per year I would actually run the lights, seems the new LED technology would do the trick. Did you guys think of going this route?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using battery powered led lights would be a good way to go. The batteries would proably last plenty long and no drain on your house batt.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Kevinbassplayer!

I'm still in the "wow, look at that more Rust!" with Tiki. But Seeing your work and 24inchstance's work ( close the curtains and get some under water sounds before twistin'!)
I'm getting inspired. It is getting close to Welding time..

LED with its LOW draw is the cats Meow. Picked up some single 1.5w super bright White LED's to play with. One lights up my living room!
Did a test on a 5 LED set up and kept it lit for 1 week on 3 AAA batteries, still were shining.

I'll post pic's with Tiki's cancer. 23 years of salt baths... F-me.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

I'm so bummed after seeing this picture about where I mounted my pax side light! (see my photo below) I wish I would have mounted it more in the middle of the door and it wouldn't have been any more work Sad I figure it's too late to move it now since I would have 3 holes (2 screw holes and the 1/2" wire hole) to deal with. Oh well, I guess one advantage is that I can reach up and turn it off while laying in bed! and I can still turn it on when I open the slider. I just found a similar 8W floresent on e-bay for only $14 and ordered it for the rear. I'm also planning on getting a small combo red/white led round light I've seen around to place on the headliner in the cockpit between the driver and pax seats. I just love little projects like this! New shocks are next and then hopefully I'll have the cash for 15" wheels before summer when I will take the trip ship to British Columbia for a month.

[/img]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Before adding the red/white light to the headliner consider simply adding an overhead light from a late model Jetta, Passat, etc. Brent Weide www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/ has a great write up on how to do this, very simple and turns out great. I did it on my 85 (even color matched it brown to match the interior) and it looks stock and works exactly how I would want it to, including the 10 second delay after shutting the door and the passenger side map light. It took me about 15 minutes to install. I think there's even a gray light housing to match your Westy's interior. I don't have any pictures currently and his site seems to have some issues right now, but definitely consider this option.

Lundy
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, sound's like something I would want to do. I'll have to see if my local yard has one.
Tomswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Passat light works great. I put one in mine right between the front seats and its nice to have the 10 sec delay. Check Ebay too you can pick them up for under $10. I got one for $1.00. Nice to have the extra light for sure.

Good luck......
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another link for the archives
Interior LED lights
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=228739
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Kevin or Chewy (24)...or others in the know:

Which wire that runs through the channel above the sliding door is ground? I'm thinking that it's the black w/light blue stripe and that the rest (browns and greens with stripes) are all hot, but before I start chopping wires and multi-metering I thought I'd check with some of you westy surgeons who've done this operation already.

Plan is to tap into the appropriate wires and add an 8w fluorescent to that channel, Chewy-style.

Thanks,

Mike
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran new wiring to the passenger side for the movement of the stock light so as to tie it into the other to that side so I don't know Embarassed As you have probably already figured out, brown is the color for most of the ground wires.
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks Kevin. I always repeat the mantra...brown is ground. I've checked the Bentley, looks like just like what I'm seeing...the passenger side channel is ground-wire free...guess I'll pull a pair like you did.

Thanks again.
papawhisky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the project pics and URLs. I am interested in changing my interior lighting (using original incandescent now) to something that produces less heat. I was in the Keys this summer and the additional heat generated by the stock lights was killing me. Do the LEDs produce less heat?

Papawhisky
88 Westy
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Led's basically produce no heat but the quality of light is not as good. I highly recommend the 8w floresent lights that I installed in the pictures, they produce very little heat and the light quality is great.
snoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo fellas, got er' done...

The slider light:

The party and galley lights:

As always, thanks fellow Sambanistas for the inspiration (for the illumination!).

Peace out.
kevinbassplayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, looks awesome! You're going to love having the lighting options when you're camping, I know I dig my set-up!
dragonfire709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin-hope your good.

Your lighting set up inspired me to put another one above the sliding door on mine. Very simple to do, and makes such a big difference! I dont know why Westfalia didnt put one there in the first place!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: