Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 1.7 liter engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go-SpeedRacer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the heads and cylinders, and this motor has been sitting a while. There was all kinds of rust in the cylinder walls, with the level of humidity we have in Texas some days, it does not take long. I took a plastic brush and cleaned everything half azz up, just to see what I had. The cylinder walls were very smooth on the cylinders that had the piston up against the head, the ones where the cylinder was close to the case are the ones with the rust. I think the motor was stored without spark plugs in it and a rag stuffed into the holes. At this point I am worried about inside the case, so I think I will bite the bullet and tear the whole engine apart. The tops of the pistons look very good, much better than I expected. One bright side that I have discovered is that it appears that this engine is a 2.0L in lieu of the 1.7L that I was told. Looked up the serial number, GD002472, and put a micrometer on the cylinders and low and behold, 94mm cylinders, so as far as I can tell its a 2.0L

iltis - I have already replaced my diagonal trailing arms with 944 ones with the complete disc brakes on the rear. A new trany was always on my to do list, so that does not bother me. Since I have already replaced both pans with new ones, there really is not much left of this Thing. I am just waiting at this point for my lift kit to arrive from Andy, he says it has already shipped it. At this point, worrying about how much money I am spending is kind of pointless, when you are already neck deep.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many intake manifold bolts? If three then you're in luck, you get the fancy high-power stock heads, though I think they are on GA and GB, maybe GC motors, but yours is from a 914, right?. I'm probably thinking more of myself when I say just run it for now. Every motor I get I end up overdoing and spending more than I ever meant to. Oh well. I think you can have those cylinders bored out to 96mm, and just buy pistons and rings. Seems to me Jake doesn't offer this anymore but it was because it a pain in the ass, not some other reason? I'm sure he'll be in here soon enough to set you straight. Have fun with it, I'm gone. Taking the new Les Baer to the cabin for a week or so.
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreing to 96mm thread--Rimco will do it.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=107217&highlight=

GD I thought was a 2.0 bus motor?
Are the pistons dished?
I would look for 1.8 heads--bigger valves, unless they are 3 stud 2.0 914 heads?

Jake has a great type 4 rebuild video!

I think a Thing tranny will handle a stock 2.0 T4 just fine.
Taller tires and or 4th gear maybee
More brakes--YES!

Iltis74 said:
Quote:
Every motor I get I end up overdoing and spending more than I ever meant to

In my case, (AND SHOULD HAVE) Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: