Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Engine...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kindbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: New Engine... Reply with quote

Could anyone shoot me in the direction for a new engine for my 78? Would appreciate it. I have heard AVP is a good site....

Any suggestions would be great...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh here we go again... Wink
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kindbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That response scares me...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...don't let it... Just that your first post with out trying to read threads or use the search or anything SCARES ME... as it opens up a BIG can of worms that has been written about many many times....

Do some reading...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kindbus wrote:
That response scares me...

With good reason... Start here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214916 - Jake Raby seems to have a great reputation for extremely well-thought-out, reliable, and expensive (you get what you pay for) engines and engine kits.

Do a search for Boston Bob and you'll find some good responses and opinons.

Do a search for GEX and you won't.

EDIT - Others can help you with AVP, I've not read much about them...

Once you do these searches, you may be able to ask more pointed questions to people that have used these and more options... In general, from lurking in the engine discussions for some time, since our bus is so important to the family for camping and summer enjoyment, I think I would bite the bullet and go the "Raby Route" with a Camper Special if/when I need to rebuild. If you're not using your bus much, or don't need reliability and longevity, maybe some of the other options will suit you.

I may as well ask it, why do you need a new engine?

Last edited by fukengruvenoval on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster asked about AVP. They are good for the bottom end. I would NEVER put them in the same category as GEX. GEX is german for puke. AVP is actually not thsat bad for the price. Just get the heads redone and its good.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
m4mke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently running an AVP 2.0 A.C. longblock in my '83 vanagon. I have aprox 4K miles on it now and its running well and feels peppy. The previous engine was weak and had a lot of blow by (dropped #3 exhaust valve finally); so I tossed the options around for aprox. 2 months before I ordered the L.B. from AVP. I talked w/ B.B., Tuttle and Lenord @ AVP, but the decisive factor was a buddy of mine who works @ a high end water-pisser vanagon shop here in Los Osos Ca. He said that the AMC heads AVP uses got their valves installed from some shop in L.A. and there had been many problems w/ their work; but the complaints had been addressed and that the quality should be much better. I suppose only time will tell.
BTW I bought a DD CHT guage to monitor and tune this engine, it has proved to be in-valuable. I have been able to lower engine temps 40*-50* & gain performance @ the same time.

Things I did/replaced along w/ L.B.
idle stabilizer
plugs & wires
distributer cap & rotor
egine seal
tin screws
thermostat
mucho cleaning of tin
(to much little stuff to list)
Trotsky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the DD CHT gauge. I got mine wired up and finished today. As well as my tacho. SHould be able to make the most of the engine now without worrying about it getting too hot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One site you might want to use kindbus, is www.ratwell.com I use almost every time I decide to do something to my bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be money well spent if you were to buy/rent/borrow this video

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/product.php?productid=16468&cat=317&page=1

so that you could see how a type 4 engine is rebuilt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratwell has a nice write-up on his site about an AVP longblock...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Longblock.html

The original writeup is dated 2004. The quality may have changed (good or bad) since then.

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put an AVP in my 77 about 5 years ago. 10k in I had to replace both heads due to small cracks and one had a dropped seat.

Otherwise it's been fine at around 40k.

I've heard good things about Boston Bob. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go the Raby route.

GEX is death. Never, never, ever.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine... Reply with quote

kindbus wrote:
Could anyone shoot me in the direction for a new engine for my 78? Would appreciate it. I have heard AVP is a good site....

go to the rear of your bus, open the hatch and begin removing the engine. You can have the engine out in less than an hour. Begin to disassemble it and mark/ label all of your parts carefully. you might want to get the Tom Wilson book- How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-cooled Engine.

That's what I did back in 1999 (first time ever removing a type IV engine)in an apartment parking lot and later carried the engine in to my kitchen for tear-down/ rebuild. Good luck with the '78!
Quadratrückseite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine... Reply with quote

VWBusrepairman wrote:
kindbus wrote:

go to the rear of your bus, open the hatch and begin removing the engine. You can have the engine out in less than an hour. Begin to disassemble it and mark/ label all of your parts carefully. you might want to get the Tom Wilson book- How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-cooled Engine.

That's what I did back in 1999 (first time ever removing a type IV engine)in an apartment parking lot and later carried the engine in to my kitchen for tear-down/ rebuild. Good luck with the '78!

I take it you were single then? Very Happy

www.gusthevwbus.com

www.eatingpeaches.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I take it you were single then?

Some people are single for a reason. Razz
Quadratrückseite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Quote:

Oh I know...there are many good reasons!

www.gusthevwbus.com

www.eatingpeaches.com
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadratrückseite wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:
Quote:

Oh I know...there are many good reasons!

Indeed, I was single at that time and living in a small apartment on my own. I now have a garage in which to perform engine tasks, however. I recommend having some place to perform your work where no one else can "misplace" your tools, parts, etc. Only one engine on the table at a time is also good practice. Wink
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Women are great helps to have around and can save you much time and effort when performing engine work. When I was single I was working on a straight six and brought the head into my (trailer) house, where I stood it on end in the hallway to protect it from the weather, a good woman would never have allowed this and therefore would have saved me a lot of work.

The head ended up getting knocked over and it went right through the floor. Do you know how long it takes to dig the dirt out from one side of a trailer cut into a rocky hillside just so you can retrieve your rig's head? Plus I still had to repair the floor besides.

Remember either get a good woman or have a concrete floor in your house. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: