Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaskan Extreme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:55 am    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

My dad had an old...something... that he use to bragg about. He said that back in the day they use to take the ridge off of the front hood some how so it was smooth? Is it possible to take the ridge and raised VW symbol bump off my Notcback hood? Or do they sell a fabricated hood that is already smoothed out?
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

Possible? Certainly. A bitch? You bet. Pretty simple too. Tack weld the hood to some sort of framework that will hold it in position but allow you to get at both sides. Nibble out enough of the skin in the raised area to bring the metal down flat. Bodywork the metal flat so the ridge is gone. Tack every few inches until contour is completely right. Use a filler piece in the front where the emblem area was. Shrink all the many tweaked spots. Finish welding and shrinking. Fill and block out both sides. A lot of work--good luck!

I know of a shop in Burnaby BC that will do your hood for you. I think they charge about $2200. Let me know if you need the reference.
Denise Kern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

2200 to take out the ridge in the hood? dayum.. alaskan I think you might just wanna leave the ridge alone!!

DK!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fknbrkn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

newbie?
John Kelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:01 am    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

Depending on the depth of the detail you might be able to hammer and dolly it as flat as possible then use a shrinking disc dozens of times to shrink the area back down where it was before the stamping operation. Click on the drastic shrinking album at the link below for an example (bottom of page):

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?ownerid=9990093068868

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Denise Kern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

FKN- if that was for me to read you should just know that i don't have any money.. that is the reason for my shock... I have never bought a 2000 dollar hood for any car! that all..

DK
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskan Extreme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

WOW... That looks complicated. I figured a little pounding and some bondo...presto ridgeless hood. I guess I'll take it in and have someone do it for me. Thanks
rossmda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

hell send me the friggin hood, I can have it done in a day, you will have to take care of the painting of the metal though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskan Extreme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

ROSSMDA where are you at? Anywhere close to Monterey California? Let me know. We'll Talk.
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

If your in monterey that is the problem for the high prices. Drag the hood down to Salinas to Abbott Street Autobody. Tell em scott wilde sent you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Alaskan Extreme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: 64 Notchback want's to be ridgeless Reply with quote

I'm in monterey for 2-3 more weeks then I'm east coast bound (Georgia)Is this any closer? If not I can See what they can do for me in salinas. Thanks Bryan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: